Reapplying for Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) after being denied

GreenEagle

My wife and I were both denied carry permits in the state of Montana a few years ago. The reason given was dishonesty (or omitting vital information), according to the Sheriff's dept.

We had in fact followed to a T the direction of our weapons training instructor, in regards to what information to disclose on our applications. We were directed to only include heinous crimes, and or felony type charges. There was some discussion between all of the individuals in our class and our instructor to this point, and the instructor was quite certain, and adamant that the steps we were to follow would give us the best chances of receiving our permits.
Neither myself nor my wife have any felonies, however, in my youth I did have some brushes with the law, as did my wife, subsequently we both have at least one misdemeanor on our adult records.

On to the present. We have since located to Iowa, and have often considered reapplying for CCW. With the new carry laws in affect, now seems to be a great time to reapply.

In closing, time has taught us much, and our naivety that was so evident as younger persons has passed. It is obvious that disclosing all of this to our current Sheriff on our applications is necessary, yet we wonder if that alone will be enough.

Does anyone have any constructive thoughts for us as we proceed?

Well as the new law reads, if you are not permitted from carrying a firearm or in a gang or something you are Okay...minor charges shouldn't be an issue. You can always write a brief letter to attach to your application that state that if for any reason they'd like to discuss your application you'd be happy to go over it.

Gross misdemeanors may be an issue but if you read the new law in full you can see what type of charges would exclude you. But there are not many that would be a huge concern.

Here is the law:

Link Removed

Good Luck!

in Iowa the question is "were you ever convicted of a felony", answer the questions honestly and you should have no problem..that is in my county, but I think all the questions are pretty much the same.. here they look over your application first and then let you know if you should go ahead and take a coarse..that way they save you the money for the course if they intend not to give you one.

Honesty

I was never required to take the ccw class because of my military background. However speaking with people here in Colorado you definatly have to screen some instructors. Some will spend to much time going on rants on how they think the laws stink the cops are out to get you. whether you agree with them or not, these instructors will not help you know the necesities you need to know when having a permit. If it sounds like or feels like you are are in a gray area in disclaiming certain things in the app. The best route is to be honest. You, the instructor or even myself may think that it is none of there business but if you want a ccw those are some of the hoops that you have to jump through to get one.

I am in South Carolina and I too was declined a CCW permit the first time around. I was told that I had 30 days to appeal and that I would have to provide certified court documents to show what the situation was for the misdemeanor arrest 30 years ago and to send them a letter describing what happened. Within 2 weeks I had the court documents and a letter and I sent it back to SLED. Within one week I received my CCW from SLED.

I was never required to take the ccw class because of my military background. However speaking with people here in Colorado you definatly have to screen some instructors. Some will spend to much time going on rants on how they think the laws stink the cops are out to get you. whether you agree with them or not, these instructors will not help you know the necesities you need to know when having a permit. If it sounds like or feels like you are are in a gray area in disclaiming certain things in the app. The best route is to be honest. You, the instructor or even myself may think that it is none of there business but if you want a ccw those are some of the hoops that you have to jump through to get one.

That is one reason why I went and took my class with who I did. When it is a LEO teaching the class and taking your fingerprints, you get more of what the police look for and less what others think.

Go for it.

Couldn't hurt to try again. Just be honest with everything. If you have to think about it, its probably better to list it. In my group, they let a female have her permit and she shoplifted a few years back.

When she said she shoplifted, I figured they'd let me have mine. If miss sticky fingers could get one then I could have too. (No rap sheet for me)

Move to VT, AZ or AK, no paper required, and homes are cheap and weather is great here in Phoenix.

I think you were misdirected by your instructor. Here, in SC, my instructor insisted we list even moving violation traffic tickets on our applications, his rationale was that it made everything appear that you were being complete in your disclosures.

I'd recommend everyone do that unless your application process expressly says not to include these sorts of things, it doesn't hurt.

What to do

I have 3 CCW's, Utah, California and Nevada. I had a misdemeanor a loooong time ago when I was 18. I listed anything and everything that was asked, tickets, restraining orders or anything that might look like I was hiding something. I got my permits with no problems. Just be honest even if you were denied one or had one revoked. I bet you will not have any problems.

Jazz

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back