Re-certifying after 10 years.

Raider-3,

I understand that you are upset, but it is completely unfounded. If you will, step back and think about this critically.
You do not appear to be upset that, in order to obtain a new CCW permit, you must take a CCW course and give evidence of this to the sheriff. You appear to be upset that you (or your friend) must take the CCW course *again* in order to *renew* his permit. Right?
If that is the case, and I believe it is, then "nit pick[ing] our rights" is not a valid argument. Your friend is asked to do no more than he did 10 years ago: no additional cost, no additional time, no additional background checks, no additional anything that he did not already do willingly 10+ years ago.
If your argument was for the necessity of the original class, you would have a valid point (of which it is inconsequential if anyone agrees). Since your argument is against *renewing* a license, which you also must do for hunting, driving, practicing medicine, etc., you lose your validity.

Most of the responders here have told you that the sheriff is correct. Listen to them. The sheriff did not create the law; conversely, he is bound by it. If the law requires valid proof of a CCW class in the past 10 years, then the sheriff must see valid proof of a CCW class in the past 10 years to renew the license. It is as simple as that.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I never heard of this and I always understood it as being less than ten years from when you first applied and then you were grandfathered in. I called a couple of my buddies and asked them and they all thought the same thing. I figure any regulion on the second ammendment is a infringment. I am a big advocate of personel responsibility. If you want to take one of these classes for your own personal gain, hey more power to ya. I just don't like being regulated to this. And this argument is applied to all kinds of things when we talk about government. But I know what all of this is wishfull thinking.

In Texas, it's a 5yr renewal period.

When renewing your CCW license in Texas, you have to show proof of attending the class, however the time requirement for the renewal class is cut almost in half compared to the initial class. Just about 4 hours of class room time to ensure you stay abreast of changes in the law, and then the range qualification to make sure you can still shoot accurately. I think its a good thing. Not that I'm worried about my skills, but I think its good to collectively ensure everybody who has CCW's can shoot accurately.

Don't know about other states, but in my state, I have to renew my driving license every five years. All I do is go, pay the money, stand for the mug shot, and wallk back out NO retesting, no skill test, not even the dumb written test. Cars kill FAR MORE people than guns, are far more complex. and the laws regarding using them change far more quickly than for firearms. Yet so many states require retesting and range time to renew your carry permit.

Now, for the guy who was saying the remewal is no more burdensome than the original license, so what's the problem.... HERE is the problem. The requirement for a permit, on its own, is an infringement of my right uder the Second Ammendment. There should be NO FEES, no waiting period, no paying in time or money for a class, etc. They run the backgrouind check for the first permit, and believe me, if ANYTHJING happens, they're on it like stink on roadkill. They'll come to our house, pull your permit, and often as not, ALL your guns as well. So, what's the purpose of even having to renew? COntrol, and revenue. That's it/ Infringements, both. It's not right.

Now, for the guy who was saying the remewal is no more burdensome than the original license, so what's the problem.... HERE is the problem. The requirement for a permit, on its own, is an infringement of my right uder the Second Ammendment. There should be NO FEES, no waiting period, no paying in time or money for a class, etc. They run the backgrouind check for the first permit, and believe me, if ANYTHJING happens, they're on it like stink on roadkill. They'll come to our house, pull your permit, and often as not, ALL your guns as well. So, what's the purpose of even having to renew? COntrol, and revenue. That's it/ Infringements, both. It's not right.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm trying to get across, I think you said it better than I did. I was a firearms instructor in the military so I never took the ccw class, I studied the laws and rules on my own. Guess I missed a part or mis read a part. Fortunatly after doing doing research, my credentials fort my job will be good enough after ten years to re certify

Most Sheriff's Departments are requiring that you retake the class every ten years, just so you are updated on any legal changes. Since you have already taken one class you only have to take the quick class, which is three hours long. You can take this course at most of the larger gun shows or from one of the many certified instructor in Colorado. I am a retired LE officer and since I was medically retired, and it was over ten years since my LE qualification, I had to take the short course. I used Colorado Handgun Safety, and they were great. I know they travel all over the State and have classes in hotel conference rooms that they rent. I think they charged around $50.00.

Here is quick list of laws for Colorado. The last rule is taking the course within the past 10 years.

Requirements:
1. Colorado resident
2. Age 21 or older
3. Not precluded by state or federal law from owning or possessing a firearm (e.g. felony conviction, mentally incompetent)
4. Does not chronically or habitually abuse alcohol
5. Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to controlled substances
6. Is not the subject of a civil or criminal restraining order
7. Complete background check, including fingerprint verification by FBI/CBI
8. Demonstrates competence with a handgun by one of the following means:
a. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service
b. certified firearms instructor
c. honorable discharge from the Armed Forces within past three yearss
d. proof of pistol qualification in Armed Forces within past ten years, if discharged
e. retired law enforcement with pistol qualification within past ten years
f. proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years

Now, are you saying that in 2018 I will have to take another class?
Yes, sometime between now and renewal in 2018. The 10 years is counted from the date of training, not the date the permit was issued. I got my training 2004 Nov and first CO permit 2004 Dec. I renewed 2009 Sep, so I must renew again by 2014 Sep, at which date my training will still be slightly less than 10 years old.

This is an unfortunate situation. According to a phone call directly to the Colorado Counties Sheriff's Organization, being required to re-take the class was never the intention of the original rule. Since it has now been 10 years since the implementation of the State Conealed Carry Law, this is the first time the question has come up. From phone calls directly to Sheriffs of various counties, some are requiring it and some are not. Reading the law and the renewal form definitely states the requirement to re-take a course every 10 years. I was told that the County Sheriff's Organization will probably take up this question when they meet this year, and hopefully get a very clear definition one way or the other.

Just to throw a little more mud on the law, a question came up in a class I gave this past weekend: "Does the law allow you to carry a backup gun or more than one gun?". Reading the statute verbatim, as in the past discussion, the law very clearly grants the permit holder the ability to carry "A" concealed handgun. Reference CRS 18-12-204 (2 ((a))), which twice states "A" concealed handgun. What do you make of that???

This is an unfortunate situation. According to a phone call directly to the Colorado Counties Sheriff's Organization, being required to re-take the class was never the intention of the original rule. Since it has now been 10 years since the implementation of the State Conealed Carry Law, this is the first time the question has come up. From phone calls directly to Sheriffs of various counties, some are requiring it and some are not. Reading the law and the renewal form definitely states the requirement to re-take a course every 10 years. I was told that the County Sheriff's Organization will probably take up this question when they meet this year, and hopefully get a very clear definition one way or the other.

Just to throw a little more mud on the law, a question came up in a class I gave this past weekend: "Does the law allow you to carry a backup gun or more than one gun?". Reading the statute verbatim, as in the past discussion, the law very clearly grants the permit holder the ability to carry "A" concealed handgun. Reference CRS 18-12-204 (2 ((a))), which twice states "A" concealed handgun. What do you make of that???

Each state is a little different, here in Texas, if you have a valid CCL, you can carry as many of the type you are qualified for (semi-auto and/or revolver) as you want as long as they are "concealed". You may have to consult a lawyer for a better definitive answer in your case.

There is no emphasis on the "a" in the statute. You could check with your local Sheriff for his interpretation of "a", but CBI doesn't interpret it to mean only a single handgun.

There is no emphasis on the "a" in the statute. You could check with your local Sheriff for his interpretation of "a", but CBI doesn't interpret it to mean only a single handgun.

Thanks Grizz, you are definitely right about the law not emphasizing the "a"; the emphasis was mine, I should have made that clear. I'm curious, did you talk with CBI to get the interpretation or is there some written reference that I have missed. A quote or written reference would be a handy thing to have when "discussing" what the law does or does not say.

When I was teaching in CO I always kept an open line of communication with the Sheriff and the CBI Supervisor over the CCW Division. They were always willing to answer any questions. Nothing in writing though.

Thanks, I have talked with Colorado County Sheriff's Organization, but not directly with CBI. I'll give it a try.

The CBI site was restructured a couple years ago and it's confusing. The CCW division is actually called the Instacheck/Concealed Handgun Unit. James Spoden is the Supervisor.
Link Removed

It has been awhile since I have thrashed my way around the CBI website. Thanks a million for the direct link. They have REALLY improved the information available and ease of navigation from there. Thanks again Grizz.

so I renewed my permit this week. It has only been five years for me. I did ask the deputy in Arapahoe county when I come in again in five more years will I need a new training certificate that is less than 10 years old. He said no. I was right the training certificate they need in colorado is just when you first apply. According the the deputy I spoke with, he says he gets asked that all the time. If you are doing a renew at 10 or 15 years or when ever, you will not need a new training certificate.

Colorado: proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years.
If you have been carrying and 10 years and have gone without more training something is wrong.
Have you ever thought about advancing your skill?

I do plenty of training through my employer and up until a couple years ago was a instructor in the military. I don't need you or the government regulating how much training a person should have to perform a right that I shouldn't have to get a permit for anyway.

so I renewed my permit this week. It has only been five years for me. I did ask the deputy in Arapahoe county when I come in again in five more years will I need a new training certificate that is less than 10 years old. He said no. I was right the training certificate they need in colorado is just when you first apply. According the the deputy I spoke with, he says he gets asked that all the time. If you are doing a renew at 10 or 15 years or when ever, you will not need a new training certificate.

That's weird. I could have sworn the law did require new training every 10 years. Maybe Ill look it up when Im not feeling so lazy, or when I get closer to the 10 year mark

Well I think the law says something about your training can't be less than 10 years old. The deputy told me it is worded weird. A guy sitting next to me was there for his ten year renew and he did no new training class and the county renewed him in ten minutes. They take the money, confirm your application and print a new card and said "see ya in five years"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back