Quick way to resize tight leather holster.

Cumberland

Tight leather holsters that are hard on the gun finish are aggravating. I've tried leaving gun holstered for weeks to try and break in with very little results. Others may have good ways for doing this, but I'll share what works amazing overnight. I needed to stretch out a IWB holster for a P238. It was so tight it was extremely hard to draw while not IWB.
I used something called Shoe Stretch from the shoe store. I wetted the entire non tanned inside and tanned outside of holster. Then wrapped a plastic grocery bag around pistol and inserted fully. It sat and dried overnight and is now a perfect non marring custom fit. Plain water may also work, not sure, but this stuff is specifically made for leather. Not sure what's in it, but it works great. Has a little alcohol smell to it.some of the holster makers here may have other suggestions. Hope this helps anyone with a too tight leather holster.

Last edited:
First if you are worried about holster wear don’t carry the gun.

If you want to break the holster in a little put the gun in a thin dress sock and holster it over night. That said, you’re better just using the holster and letting it stretch naturally

First if you are worried about holster wear don’t carry the gun.

Well I don't care for the holster wear, but what concerned me most is that when IWB I couldn't get it out of the holster without almost prying it out. It was so tight it would move the slide back when inserting.
I've tried putting something over the gun and leaving a few days, but did not stretch enough to notice. The leather stretch solution equaled about a years a wear overnight

What happened was that the leather was made wet by this product, you stretched it and let it dry, so it stayed that way. The problem is that if it gets wet again, like sweating on it while carrying or eventually just the humidity, it may resume it's former size. The product may have something in it to help prevent this, like a waterproofing. Let us know the long term prognosis.

No, it in noway took a year off the life of the holster Eidolon, it's now a New holster that fits properly. nor did I post to start a disagreement of who's right or wrong.
Simply if you had a holster that was way too tight, that a discovered a way to permanently stretch it to custom fit the pistol overnight.
The holster I got was from holster world. Not sure if it's there brand but seems to be good quality.
I will also be doing this to a new desantis for a Kimber as well.

SIG SAUER P238 LEATHER RIGHT HAND ITP IWB INSIDE PANTS HOLSTER w/ COMFORT TABLink Removed

Last edited:
No, it in noway took a year off the life of the holster Eidolon, it's now a New holster that fits properly. nor did I post to start a disagreement of who's right or wrong.
Simply if you had a holster that was way too tight, that a discovered a way to permanently stretch it to custom fit the pistol overnight.
The holster I got was from holster world. Not sure if it's there brand but seems to be good quality.
I will also be doing this to a new desantis for a Kimber as well.

SIG SAUER P238 LEATHER RIGHT HAND ITP IWB INSIDE PANTS HOLSTER w/ COMFORT TABLink Removed

That's why I like Kramer Leather perfect fit right out of the box.

The reason I say you shortened the life of your holster is because as you use it it gets looser and you loosened it up by a year

Ok, if you say so. Now I have 19 years left instead of 20. Besides its IWB. I don't think it's going anywhere. The desantis is OWB but it's tight in a aegis ll , so after a little resizing a reg 1911 will still be snug.
Also you don't have to drench it in the solution. You can use a little just where needed, and/or adjust stretch time.
The one on left will be next.
Link Removed

Last edited:
I have a belt-slide holster made for a 1911 that I reshaped to fit my Glock 21. I soaked the holster in warm light soapy water and then wrapped the Glock in plastic wrap and inserted the Glock into the holster, pressing the wet leather to the form of the Glock. Left Glock in holster to dry overnight resulting in a "perfect fit". :dance3:

Link Removed

This is the stuff I used. Doesn't say what's in it, but says stretch is permanent. Tag days $1.75. Think I've had about 15 years
Link Removed
Ps.. That little $25 holster I got off eBay for P238 from holster world is great. Good leather & stitching with a very tight, sturdy clip. I didn't know what I was missing with that comfort tab. Even carrying cocked & locked you can't even feel its there at 4-5 O'clock position

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back