Quick question

dbranger94

I want to buy my wife an LCR Ruger for our 1 year anniversary next wknd. If I purchase it from "X" gun shop, and have it FFL transferred locally, can she do the ATF paperwork or does she have to be the one who actually buys the gun?

They should let her do the 4473 and let you pay since you are married. Is this the gun that she said she wanted and has she fired one? I had a lady in my CCW class last week that her husband bought her an S&W Airweight and she shot it one time and didn't like it. It was to much recoil/rise for her. The lighter the gun, the more it will rise on her. Let her pick out the gun she wants and she will like it more. I suggest renting one or if you know someone that has one you can shoot. Once you buy it, it's yours, better to be safe than sorry. I assume you are buying a .38 Spl.

I'm with you, I let her pick it out so she would like it more. We went gun shopping one weekend over the winter and she was able to hold and compare many guns. That's the one she liked. She's had the opportunity to shoot many guns, both mine and my friends, including my .40S&W P99 and my friends .44Mag Super Blackhawk. She handled both of those pretty well. I figure I'll get the heavier .357 version and load it with .38Sp.

You can give her the money to purchase the gun herself. A "straw" purchase is illegal. Is a FOID card necessary to purchase a gun in your state?

I agree with the "let her pick out her own gun "theory. I wanted a Ruger LRC until I fired it. Not a comfortable feeling. I went with a Sig P938. My wife shoots that gun with no trouble or discomfort. If you are comfortable buying a purse for your wife, give the gun shopping a try. I just think it's to personal. You want her to like the gun and want to shot it often. Good luck !

There is no law against buying a gun and giving it as gift to someone, provided they are not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm.

See the ATF publication Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide, 2005, at page 165 (emphasis added):

15. STRAW PURCHASES

Questions have arisen concerning the lawfulness of firearms purchases from licensees by persons who use a "straw purchaser" (another person) to acquire the firearms. Specifically, the actual buyer uses the straw purchaser to execute the Form 4473 purporting to show that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser of the firearm. In some instances, a straw purchaser is used because the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm. That is to say, the actual purchaser is a felon or is within one of the other prohibited categories of persons who may not lawfully acquire firearms or is a resident of a State other than that in which the licensee's business premises is located. Because of his or her disability, the person uses a straw purchaser who is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm from the licensee. In other instances, neither the straw purchaser nor the actual purchaser is prohibited from acquiring the firearm.

In both instances, the straw purchaser violates Federal law by making false statements on Form 4473 to the licensee with respect to the identity of the actual purchaser of the firearm, as well as the actual purchaser's residence address and date of birth. The actual purchaser who utilized the straw purchaser to acquire a firearm has unlawfully aided and abetted or caused the making of the false statements. The licensee selling the firearm under these circumstances also violates Federal law if the licensee is aware of the false statements on the form. It is immaterial that the actual purchaser and the straw purchaser are residents of the State in which the licensee's business premises is located, are not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms, and could have lawfully purchased firearms...

Ruger LC9

I want to buy my wife an LCR Ruger for our 1 year anniversary next wknd. If I purchase it from "X" gun shop, and have it FFL transferred locally, can she do the ATF paperwork or does she have to be the one who actually buys the gun?

I purchased a Ruger LC9-LM for my wife. It was to hard for her to operate the slide and to many safeties. After trying out several pistols, she ended up with a Glock 19. Easy to operate slide and easy to maintain(break down). She is now known as Annie Oakley.

I'll probably get her a prepaid card or something. As for the gun, I've already voiced my concern to her about small frame/med-large caliber guns and the effects of recoil. But then someone else comes along and tells her it won't be an issue. So...

I'll probably get her a prepaid card or something. As for the gun, I've already voiced my concern to her about small frame/med-large caliber guns and the effects of recoil. But then someone else comes along and tells her it won't be an issue. So...

Not a bad idea! Might use that in the future, after asking a lawyer about how the laws work in CO nowadays.

And it'll be an issue or it won't, depending on what she likes. If you want to spend a lot more money, you can get her a Chiappa Rhino and it definitely won't be an issue... it's close to the same size but shoots from the bottom cylinder making recoil much less perceived and muzzle flip almost nothing. I love mine... very worth the money (thank you, miscalculated BAH!). A bit touchy about what ammo it likes for a revolver, though. Never had any issues with self-defense ammo, at least. Shooting .357 is a breeze, and .38 feels like a cap gun. Or maybe a .22. I've never shot .22 though, so I couldn't say.

The last thing I want to do is dissuade her from firearms, both as a hobby and a form of self-defense. So, I'm not going to press the issue. If she doesn't like the LCR, we'll get her something else. I'd be happy to take it off of her hands...

The wife and I were at the LGS together when I purchased my FNS40. While inspecting the weapon for any possible defects, my wife started filling out the forms to hurry the process. She'd gotten only my name down before being told to stop. The salesman told her that only the original purchaser could do the paperwork. This was in Pa., other states may differ.

The salesman told her that only the original purchaser could do the paperwork. This was in Pa., other states may differ.

I'll bet that's not even true in Pa.

(To be perfectly clear, I absolutely believe you were told that, I just think the saleman was wrong)

Link Removed

The term "straw purchase" is often used in the wrong context. A straw purchase occurs when somone OTHER THAN the actual buyer/transferee attempts to acquire a firearm from a licensed DEALER. If the seller is not a licensed dealer then a straw purchase is impossible.

If the straw purchaser signs the 4473 they commit perjury as they were NOT the actual buyer. ATF makes it clear on the 4473 that buying a firearm as a "gift" is completely legal as long as the third party is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm. A straw purchase is not solely "buying for a prohibited person", but buying on behalf of ANYONE else.....from a licensed dealer

You can buy the gun as a gift for her from "x" gun shop without running afoul of the "Straw Purchaser" rule (see page 4 - "Question 11a" - of the following link: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf ). At receiving FFL "y", she will have to fill out another ATF Form 4473 before the FFL "y" can release the LCR to her.

Gift Card looks like a great idea.

We went mothers day and I bought her a .38 spl LCR. The store that sold it to us had no problems with her filling out the 4473 and me paying for it. The only thing that they were concerned about was if we lived at the same address. As long as we were co-habitants they were ok with it.

Hope this helps someone in the future...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back