Questions

Jewishredneck01

What do you recommend for a apartment defence gun?
(This most likely will be my first firearm)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using USA Carry mobile app

Shotgun with buckshot. Generally anyone close enough to hear the unmistakable sound of you racking it will go running.

I did some googling on different shells good for apartments. Personally, I have never lived in an apartment but the idea is that you don't want something penetrating through to other apartments. Seems like many people recommend turkey shot for apartments. So maybe others here some some input on that too or experience.

Shotgun with buckshot. Generally anyone close enough to hear the unmistakable sound of you racking it will go running.

I did some googling on different shells good for apartments. Personally, I have never lived in an apartment but the idea is that you don't want something penetrating through to other apartments. Seems like many people recommend turkey shot for apartments. So maybe others here some some input on that too or experience.

Firearms meant for self defense shall not be unloaded. You were born with a mouth and I assume you are able to speak. Give a verbal warning if needed. Racking your shotgun just shows your lack of training and common sense.

Any round that is capable of penetrating a human body deep enough for the purpose of lethal self/home defense is able to penetrate through 3-4 apartment walls (6-8 dry walls). Bird shot is often recommended as it penetrates significantly less. There is a reason why it is called bird shot. The standard load for a 12GA shotgun is buckshot in sizes between #4 buck - 00 buck.

The key to home defense with a firearm is to identify safe shooting vectors, i.e., your defensive positions, your angle at the threat and your backstop. Simply speaking, don't position yourself such that a miss can land in your neighbor's apartment or house. An exterior wall is a good backstop in most cases.

To the OP, since this is your first firearm, consider the most important part, training. Do you have access to a range for pistol, shotgun or rifle shooting? If so, check which range rents firearms and try them out. Get some instructions on firearm safety and on the efficiency of different firearms, calibers and rounds.

In general, a semi-auto shotgun will be the most efficient, but will also be the heaviest and will have some recoil. A pump-action shotgun will be lighter, but have even more recoil. An AR-15 will be slightly less efficient, but lighter and have less recoil. A 9mm or .45ACP full-size handgun will be lighter and the least efficient with the least amount of recoil.

• If you've got room to maneuver one. I don't. I might as well use a 14' bamboo cavalry lance or a naginata.
  • The muzzle blast is a lot more impressive than the action sound.

Bird shot is often recommended as it penetrates significantly less.

Unless you will be in close proximity, and in an apartment you might be depending on apartment size, room sizes, hallways, etc. I definitely wouldn't recommend bird shot. i have seen a few peppered with bird shot and in many cases it barely penetrates the skin. So consider the area you would likely be shooting in specifically.

Unless you will be in close proximity, and in an apartment you might be depending on apartment size, room sizes, hallways, etc. I definitely wouldn't recommend bird shot. i have seen a few peppered with bird shot and in many cases it barely penetrates the skin. So consider the area you would likely be shooting in specifically.

As I said, there is a reason why it is called bird shot. It's for birds.

Here is my favorite loaded with #2 buck.

2q16mts.jpg

Firearms meant for self defense shall not be unloaded. You were born with a mouth and I assume you are able to speak. Give a verbal warning if needed. Racking your shotgun just shows your lack of training and common sense.
I was reading that post and saying "Why would I want to eject a perfectly good round."

I was reading that post and saying "Why would I want to eject a perfectly good round."

You wouldn't if it was your self defense option and especially your only option. Ours is our hello, nice to meet you, what do you want when someone knocks on our door in say a Walmart parking lot at night. If your not a local officer or Walmart security, you have no reason to be at my door.

You wouldn't if it was your self defense option and especially your only option. Ours is our hello, nice to meet you, what do you want when someone knocks on our door in say a Walmart parking lot at night. If your not a local officer or Walmart security, you have no reason to be at my door.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. I don't live in the Walmart parking lot.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. I don't live in the Walmart parking lot.

You may not, i do on ocassion. I live wherever my home is parked for the night. That could be Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas, a truck stop, BLM land, a friend or relatives driveway, or a campground. For long term, we stay at very nice campgrounds but for a single night, we could be anywhere.

So, your post is completely off-topic for the question asked which was WITHIN AN APARTMENT, not a RV. Further, I'm not even sure I buy your argument then.

So, your post is completely off-topic for the question asked which was WITHIN AN APARTMENT, not a RV. Further, I'm not even sure I buy your argument then.

I already answered the posters question for in an apartment. There were questions about why I wouldn't have a round chambered in my shotgun, I was simply providing the answer to a particular scenario that is often the case for ours not to be chambered. Although on duty in the car, it wasn't chambered either, it was racked when it was picked up. In our home when setting for a time, it is chambered, when we are traveling down the road, it is not. Your buying or not buying my argument is irreverent.

If I was using a shotgun as my home defense gun in an apartment or even a single family home, it would be chambered and especially if it was my first and only firearm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back