question regarding rifle

loud_rocker

Oath Keeper
I am new here and a fairly new gun owner and conceal carry holder and I have a question regarding a rifle in a backpack. I have a Ruger 10/22 takedown which as the description says you can take it down into two pieces with a easy click and twist. I want to carry this with me in a backpack when I go hiking in state parks when my family and I go camping, is this allowed or can I only carry a handgun? if not can I have it in trunk of my car?

Thanks for any info,

Eric

Many parks do not permit fire arms...check your state/local/federal laws. A long gun does not need a concealed carry permit. It is most important that you check with your park about fire arms in general.

Many parks do not permit fire arms...check your state/local/federal laws. A long gun does not need a concealed carry permit. It is most important that you check with your park about fire arms in general.

I checked the NC state park web site and I'm confused more than ever. On the rules and regulations tab they have this listed under firearms.

"Firearms and other weapons are prohibited except that those with a proper permit may possess a concealed handgun in permitted areas and under the requirements of North Carolina G.S. 14-415.11. All firearms and weapons are prohibited in state park visitor centers and park offices. (EXCEPTION: Federal law (36 C.F.R. � 327.13) prohibits loaded firearms or ammunition on those lands and waters at Falls Lake, Jordan Lake and Kerr Lake state recreation areas managed by the state parks system and owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.)

Fireworks, cap pistols, air guns, bows and arrows, slingshots and lethal projectiles or missiles of any kind are prohibited on all properties managed by the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation."

but when I check the link to the actual law it says this:

"SECTION .0900 - FIREARMS: EXPLOSIVES: FIRES: ETC.
15A NCAC 12B .0901 FIREARMS: WEAPONS: EXPLOSIVES
(a) No person except authorized park employees, their agents, or contractors, or officers of the state shall carry or possess
firearms, airguns, bows and arrows, sling shots, or lethal missiles of any kind within any park.
(b) The possession or use of cap pistols is prohibited. The possession or use of dynamite or other powerful explosives as
defined in G.S. 14-284.1 is prohibited.
(c) The possession or use of pyrotechnics is prohibited except for pyrotechnics exhibited, used, or discharged in connection
with an authorized public exhibition and approved by the Director of the Division of Parks and Recreation, or designee.
Persons wishing to possess or use pyrotechnics in connection with a public exhibition, such as a public celebration shall file
an application for a special use permit with the appropriate park superintendent. All applicants shall enter an indemnification
agreement with the Department and obtain general liability and property damage insurance, with limits as determined by the
Secretary or designee, which are reasonably necessary to cover possible liability for damage to property and bodily injury or
damage to persons which may result from, or be caused by, the public exhibition of pyrotechnics or any act(s) or omission(s)
on the part of the applicant(s) or the applicant’s agents, servants, employees, or subcontractors presenting the public
exhibition. The Division Director, or designee, may deny an application as deemed necessary to protect the public health,
safety, and welfare, or to protect the natural resources of the park unit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 14-410; 14-415; 113-35;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. October 1, 1984; January 1, 1983;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 2, 1997.
Temporary Amendment Expired September 29, 1998.
Amended Eff. April 1, 1999"

and then there's the conceal carry law which allows conceal carry in a state park

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.
(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.
(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, and 14‑277.2.
(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14‑269.4(6).
(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1.
(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law.
(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.
(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.
(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
(c1) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun on the grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in G.S. 113‑44.9.
(c2) It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person's body any alcohol or in the person's blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person's blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person's own property.
(c3) As provided in G.S. 14‑269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State‑owned rest area, at any State‑owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State‑owned hunting and fishing reservation.
(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3; 2011‑268, s. 14.)

Their web page says it's ok for a handgun, the park law say no and the conceal carry law says yes, this doesn't make sense. This at least rules out my question about having a 10/22 takedown in my backpack, but leaves me wondering about a handgun.

Their web page says it's ok for a handgun, the park law say no and the conceal carry law says yes, this doesn't make sense. This at least rules out my question about having a 10/22 takedown in my backpack, but leaves me wondering about a handgun.

You need to re-read the section on CC..it states:

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law.

The law on carry in a state park, as you noted; denies you the right.

Don't let a web site info confuse or lull you into believing that the info in it is accurate. If you still have doubts, call the Park Ranger.

State Parks and National Parks are bound by different laws as you noted. My knowledge on long guns tells me they are not allowed to be carried loaded nor concealed ever (in most states). National Parks law does not override state law with regard to carrying of firearms loaded or concealed.

Ok I found this in North Carolina Firearms Laws I think this should cover me, but I will still ask a Park Ranger to be extra careful. I don't want to do something stupid and lose my permit right after getting it.

MAY I POSSESS FIREARMS IN STATE AND FEDERAL PARKS?
ANSWER: A person with a valid concealed handgun permit may carry a
concealed handgun on the grounds or waters of a park within
North Carolina's State Parks System as defined in G.S. § 113-
44.9. Additionally, pursuant to G.S. § 14-269.4(5), a person
may carry any firearm openly, or carry a handgun concealed with
a valid permit, on any State-owned hunting or fishing reservation.
Further, pursuant to 36 C.F.R. § 2.4(h), a person may possess a
concealed firearm within a national park area in accordance
with the laws of the State in which the national park area is
located, except as otherwise prohibited by federal law. Any
person desiring to carry a firearm on any national park area
should consult with the appropriate federal park service for
additional guidelines on the possession of firearms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back