Question on transporting ammo

njsportsman

I live in New Jersey and have Florida non-res CCW. Ok I know that ammo has to be in a locked box separated from the firearm. Can I have my magazines loaded and locked in a box and my firearm separated and locked? The reason I ask is I travel to PA. a lot and right now I carry my revolver because it’s easier to load once I cross state lines. I wear my holster empty and keep my ammo box in the back in a locked box until I cross state lines then load it. Of course I pull over to a safe place to do so. Much easier than loading my Glock which I prefer to carry. Once I get settled to where I am going I holster up my Glock. Ok I know I could probably do the same with my Glock but, much quicker with my revolver don't want to draw attention to myself so I do the easiest my revolver. Thanks

You get pulled over in jersey good luck man-just don't let them know what you've got. The mags and ammo should be locked up seperately from the guns and all should be locked in trunk truck tool box ect. Pm innercircle he's retired jersey Leo and my be able to give you more info than I. I grew up in jersey and still have family there and don't forget hollow points are a no no there as well-you could call the local trooper barracks and ask but you know how that goes one guy thinks one thing the other the other thing. My advice be nice,polite,respectful and you shouldn't have a problem.

You get pulled over in jersey good luck man-just don't let them know what you've got. The mags and ammo should be locked up seperately from the guns and all should be locked in trunk truck tool box ect. Pm innercircle he's retired jersey Leo and my be able to give you more info than I. I grew up in jersey and still have family there and don't forget hollow points are a no no there as well-you could call the local trooper barracks and ask but you know how that goes one guy thinks one thing the other the other thing. My advice be nice,polite,respectful and you shouldn't have a problem.

My question is could the mags be loaded as long as thery are seperate from the gun and locked in a seperate box. But you are right I am parinoid whe I go to the range. I set my cruise control to the exact speed. I know thats no way to live but, unfortunatly I am in no position to move right now but, believe me when it's time New Jersey will be eating my dust. I will PM innercircle. Thanks

My question is could the mags be loaded as long as thery are seperate from the gun and locked in a seperate box. But you are right I am parinoid whe I go to the range. I set my cruise control to the exact speed. I know thats no way to live but, unfortunatly I am in no position to move right now but, believe me when it's time New Jersey will be eating my dust. I will PM innercircle. Thanks

1. Florida license might as well not exist as far as NJ is concerned. Can't really talk, as it is the same way in SC (doesn't recognize licenses held by non-residents of that state).

2. Remember that FOPA protects you when traveling with a firearm, as long as you can legally possess the firearm at your starting and ending point. However, Jersey law only requires that your weapon be unloaded and enclosed in a container. However, it "should not be accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle". Either way you should be fine.

I think your question is whether or not your mags actually count as an integral part of the weapon, and could thus violate the unloaded requirement of both FOPA and Jersey law. The Supreme Court has ruled that for a gun to be loaded, it must essentially fire when you "operate the weapon'. Racking the slide and pulling the trigger counts in this context, so you can't have a loaded mag inside the gun. But nothing you do will make the gun fire without the mag inserted (unless you put a round in the chamber), so having rounds inside the mag and the mag NOT inside the gun should legally count as unloaded.

I am still looking around for an exception, as somewhere in my checkered memory I seem to recall that some state tried to charge people for having ammo in same container as weapon. But FOPA should protect you, and Jersey law also seems to be fine with loaded mags that are NOT inside the gun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back