question on CCP from another State N.C.

lonewolf5347

I like to ask can you apply for a carry permit in another state that is not were you Vote ?
I have a CCP in my home state Nassau county N.Y.S. Retire Lawenforcement
I have a second home in N.C. my stay runs 5 1/2 months and did take the 8 hour course that is needed also have a N.C. I.D. only.
I was told to apply for my N.C. License but I wonder if I am breaking any ATF Laws ?

I don't think you could legally have 2 valid licenses from 2 different states. Is your NY permit dependent on you having a valid NY ID/license?

Must be a tricky drive from NY to NC, as while NC honors your NY permit, not a single state you have to drive through does.

I like to ask can you apply for a carry permit in another state that is not were you Vote ?
I have a CCP in my home state Nassau county N.Y.S. Retire Lawenforcement
I have a second home in N.C. my stay runs 5 1/2 months and did take the 8 hour course that is needed also have a N.C. I.D. only.
I was told to apply for my N.C. License but I wonder if I am breaking any ATF Laws ?

Concealed weapons permit are 100% state law and up to that state whether they issue you one or not. You can have as many permits as states will issue to you. In Washington, for example, you can get our license by applying in person at any LEO agency in the state without any form of residency or Washington ID required.

In addition, which permits a state recognizes is also 100% state law and depends upon which state you are physically standing in at the time.

Having a permit in another state is not illegal, most states issue to non-residents. I have 3. Also, as your a retired LEO, LEOSA most likely applies and if so you don't need a permit to begin with. Don't forget, outside of NYS the Constitution still applies, people don't need permits to own or posses weapons, just to conceal them in most cases. I would recommend you check to see of you fit the guidelines of LEOSA, you most likely do!

Good move buying a 2nd home in a free state!

After 30 days you become a NC legal resident thus giving you valid credentials to apply and hold for a CCP in the state.

Being retired LE you should fall under requirements of LEOSA, I would go that route if in fact you are qualified.

I did last winter while snow birding in N.C. did apply for a gun permit at the local police dept took all of 5 min: and $5.00

The only thing that keeps here in the North east are my grand-kids other then that I would be in N.C. in a heart beat.I also have a retired son LT. who lives in Myrtle Beach with with 3 more gran-kids so 6 1/2 months in the N.E. and the rest of the time in N.C.

North Carolina is far from a free state. They still have their Jim Crow firearms laws in place. Today, however, Washington is no longer a free state either.

One advantage of a NC CHP is that it is probably the widest accepted permit of any state permit, accepted by most except for the states that honor no other permit such as NY, MD, NJ, RI, CT, CA, OR, HI.

And honors permits from 48 other states. Vermont because they don't have permits, and DC because no place is as screwed up as DC.

I don't think you could legally have 2 valid licenses from 2 different states. Is your NY permit dependent on you having a valid NY ID/license?

Must be a tricky drive from NY to NC, as while NC honors your NY permit, not a single state you have to drive through does.
Yeah, he has to keep moving in one straight drive-thru. Depending on his route it gets tricky. NJ won't bother him driving through as long as he follows the law there but I don't know about MD. With a FL permit he'll be OK in Virginia and W. Virginia. As long as he locks it up through PA and MD he should be OK. Just drive directly through those states.

Yeah, he has to keep moving in one straight drive-thru. Depending on his route it gets tricky. NJ won't bother him driving through as long as he follows the law there but I don't know about MD. With a FL permit he'll be OK in Virginia and W. Virginia. As long as he locks it up through PA and MD he should be OK. Just drive directly through those states.

Seems that in MD even leaving your gun locked up in your safe in your home state won't save you from harassment by the Maryland Gestapo.

Link Removed

Seems that in MD even leaving your gun locked up in your safe in your home state won't save you from harassment by the Maryland Gestapo.

Link Removed
I used to think my home state of MA was bad, until I moved to VA and learned about MD's laws! I haven't followed up on it but there was a law on the table here in VA for the state police to NOT share firearms permit look up ability with any state that doesn't have reciprocity with us.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As long as he locks it up through PA and MD he should be OK. Just drive directly through those states.

There is no reason to lock it up when driving through PA. State law allows holders of a carry permit from any state to carry in the car. Exiting and carrying concealed outside of the car, however, requires a permit or license recognized by PA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back