Question on carring in a car in Wisconsin?

I have my Wisconsin CCL. When driving, does the gun in my holster, on my hip have to be concealed (covered by a coat or put in the glove box), or can it be exposed?

This is from the Wis - Reg:

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle?
A.Handguns
The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being
unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b).
load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(c).
operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a handgun in the operator‘s
possession. Wis. Stat. § 23.33(3)(a).
place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor
running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(a), (b),
(c).
place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not
carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be
hidden or concealed and within reach.

I keep mine in a holster that is between the seat and center glove box, semi-concealed.
I do have a permit.

It's a pain to wear in belt holster while driving. I place it in a simple nylon holster between passanger seat and center console with an unassuming baseball style cap over it. Easy to flip the cap if needed yet I don't want to freak out the SUV soccer mom at the stop light.

I put mine in the cubby under the radio in the car and on the fold down seat right next to me in the open in the truck. Been pulled over twice, cop didnt even flinch once he saw the CCL. The second officer even asked to see it without me telling him or reaching to hismown holster. Either he knew beforehand or he is very well aware that 1 in about 3 in our state is licensed.

For those who dont have a CCL, be careful. Some cops are still in denial about the transportation laws. Bail is an expensive thing, no matter how in the right you are.

I put a fobus holster under the steering wheel. Slide the paddle in the slot between the steering colum and the panel below.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back