Question for Utah CCW instructors about obtaining Nevada CCW

chewybaca96

Scouring around the web and making several phone calls I've still be unable to get a fully qualified answer. I've been told by LV Metro PD that to get a Nevada CCW, that the certification class must take place in Nevada by a certified instructor. I've also read elsewhere and spoken with an organization in Nevada that does certification classes that as long as the instructor is certified for Nevada CCW, that the class can be taken anywhere. Being a Utah resident, with a current Utah CCW, can I find an instructor in Utah that is certified to instruct for the Nevada CCW, take the course here locally and then apply as usual in the designated locations in Nevada?

I recently took a Utah ccw class in California. The instructor told me that the Nevada CCW class had to be done in Nevada. Basically because they wanted to keep the money in state.

The trick with NV is that the law says this:

NRS 202.3657  Application for permit; eligibility; denial or revocation of permit. 1.  Any person who is a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Any person who is not a resident of this State may apply to the sheriff of any county in this State for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the Department. Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each county upon request.
2.  A person applying for a permit may submit one application and obtain one permit to carry all handguns owned by the person. The person must not be required to list and identify on the application each handgun owned by the person. A permit is valid for any handgun which is owned or thereafter obtained by the person to whom the permit is issued.
3.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit to any person who is qualified to possess a handgun under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older;
(b) Is not prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to NRS 202.360; and
(c) Demonstrates competence with handguns by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that the applicant:
(1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or
(2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety.
[FONT=&quot]Ê[/FONT] Such a course must include instruction in the use of handguns and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm. A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless the sheriff determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association or, if the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.

However, they have the NV Sheriffs Assoc that sets the standards as they see fit and they say "All training must be done in State."

Link Removed

The Nevada CCW class has to be done in Nevada and the CCW application has to be done in person also. Some Sheriffs may require the training be done in the county you're applying at also. Check with the County Sheriff where you wish to apply and they will have a list of authorized instructors.
Link Removed

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies. That confirms what I was thinking, but just couldn't find the exact info out there.

Nevada CCW permit.

You need to go into a county in Nevada to take the class. You must qualify, and you must qualify with the gun you're planning on carrying concealed. So if you have 2 or 3 guns that you use for concealed carry, you must qualify with each gun. Then the guns you qualify with get put on your license. So set up a class in whatever Nevada county is closest to where you live, then go take it. Also, you don't need a permit to open carry, and keeping your gun in the glove compartment is also allowed without a permit.

You need to go into a county in Nevada to take the class. You must qualify, and you must qualify with the gun you're planning on carrying concealed. So if you have 2 or 3 guns that you use for concealed carry, you must qualify with each gun. Then the guns you qualify with get put on your license. So set up a class in whatever Nevada county is closest to where you live, then go take it.

They don't do that anymore. See #2 as well as the link in my post above.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back