Question about home carry/defense and alcohol

Hi again reddragon!

Treo is correct, the NRA has recommended lawyers and it is a nice list. We found our lawyer from a list of recommended pro-2nd-amendment lawyers from the USCCA. We purchased insurance from them in case we would ever be in a situation similar to George Zimmerman. It is very reasonably priced and, while we hate giving more of my money to insurance companies, we felt compelled to protect ourselves given the negative atmosphere toward 2nd-amendment rights in the media and from our government. There are some misconceptions about the insurance (like it will only help you if you are not guilty or that you only get the money after all the court proceedings) but these are just that, misconceptions. The insurance is not valid if you are committing a crime or breaking the law when the gun incident occurs and they recently changed the disbursement practice and you receive the benefit incrementally throughout so you can pay expenses as they occur. We are new to gun ownership and, while we may or may not keep the insurance forever, we have been pleased with the resources. We also have NRA memberships and have always been impressed with the resources from NRA. I believe they also have insurance but I cannot say that with complete certainty. I'm sure someone here would know and will kindly let us know.

Anyway, we retained our lawyer and were highly impressed with him. He is local and is an instructor in a nearby town for CPL classes. If we had known about him earlier we would have taken his course because he has a good reputation in the area. He charged us nothing to be retained but said that his CPL clients rarely need his services so he just asked that we use his firm for other needs such as estate planning, wills, trusts, etc. he sent us bios of lawyers in the practice and a list of the specialties they handle.

Good luck!

I live in ohio also. I asked a criminal defense lawyer who specializes is CCW cases this exact question last week. He said that if there is a real threat of serious injury or death, it wouldn't matter if I was drinking (as long as I was in my own home). He stated that a real threat is a real threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I have my gun on me as soon I get up and get dressed do to the fact that you never know when a home invasion might happen I say a Prayer every day Asking God that I do not have to use my gun but if I do to keep my mind and eyes focused at all times.

I don't drink, but my wife does. We share a safe. When she is imbibing, her sidearm is in its normal place; nightstand. She has shown no signs of aggressive behavior while tipping a glass, in the 13 years we've been together. When I'm home, I'm the alpha person, and carry until I turn-in. If I'm not there, she carries her sidearm into every room she goes. Even has a concealed spot within reach if she is showering. It was such a good spot, I now use it as well.

When I'm gone, and she leaves, she puts her sidearm in the safe, and locks it. She doesn't carry. When she gets home, she gets her sidearm, then locks the safe.

This routine works for us. I've tried to convince her to carry, but she is not comfortable enough to do so. An ex-husband's threat with her head in the kitchen sink has traumatized her. He had a .357 magnum resting on her head with the hammer cocked. He was drunk, as usual she told me.

I'm proud she got over most of her fear of firearms with my help. We go to the range and shoot together. She wants nothing to do with my AR, for some reason even though it recoils far less than her .38 special. She has shot it, and it was her decision to not shoot it again, even though she kicked my butt at some 200 to 300 yard targets. (sigh) Maybe it was too easy for her?

I've told her she doesn't have to be a victim to anyone who points a gun at her. Sometimes I see that fear in her eyes when she sees me suit-up with sidearm and mags, before I leave. Wish I could do more. I believe one of the ranges here has a ladies only day. That might help if the girls have been through some trauma, and the reason they shoot. More I think about it, the better that sounds. We guys can't comprehend the fear and emotions felt by our loved ones.

Sorry this turned into a personal tome about my wife, drinking, and firearm abuse.

I'll shut up now and go drink my Shirley Temple.

I've told her she doesn't have to be a victim to anyone who points a gun at her. Sometimes I see that fear in her eyes when she sees me suit-up with sidearm and mags, before I leave. Wish I could do more. I believe one of the ranges here has a ladies only day. That might help if the girls have been through some trauma, and the reason they shoot. More I think about it, the better that sounds. We guys can't comprehend the fear and emotions felt by our loved ones.

Sorry this turned into a personal tome about my wife, drinking, and firearm abuse.

I'll shut up now and go drink my Shirley Temple.

Good for her! And hey, everyone has to randomly just "say it" with issues like that now and again. Occasionally you'll see me go in to my husband being deployed and all his friends deserting me!

But that's not why I replied. There are some good Survivor Stories at Link Removed that she might like. They have lots of chapters all over and I bet she'd find support there. I've never experienced anything like that, but if she needs someone she doesn't know to talk/rant to, PM me. Sometimes it's easier with a complete stranger who doesn't judge or analyze unless asked.

Back to subject... Ironically I am drinking a glass (1) of wine now! Colorado also has a "no alcohol with a gun" policy, but it gets flexible at home. It turns in to "don't ask, don't tell" basically. Especially in my county... not only would response time be pretty horrible (no fault of theirs... big county, low population, and snowy dirt roads), they're very gun friendly here.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back