Proper gun for a small(ish) frame

Nick Howard

I'm not a big guy, about 5'11" and 165 Lbs. and I currently have a Ruger SR40 that I'm thinking about using for concealed carry. I tend to wear a slightly tighter fit shirt, say a medium and I'm not sure if this is really the gun I should be carrying concealed. Generally speaking I'll be carrying on my motorcycle or in my truck. I tend to not wear a jacket on the bike so that snot going to help ever.

What are your thoughts?

Link Removed

Perhaps a Ruger LC9 in a pocket holster or IWB. Nice thin profile. My wife weighs around 125 and it conceals perfectly on her frame.

I have a similar height and build as you. I have found i can conceal best at 3:30 IWB. A slimmer framed gun will obviously be easier to make disappear but if you are willing to dress around your weapon a little bit you would be amazed at what you can conceal. I frequently carry a full size FNP45 and have also carried a glock 21 and a 5" 1911 (although not all at the same time).

I have found carrying with a IWB at 4-5 o'clock is comfortable. Concealment is not that hard, but a few tricks are helpful. Wearing a loose shirt or blouse out side, also loose fit sweaters or sweatshirts work. Here's another tip. Wearing a shirt that is plaid or has a some design or print helps defuse the printing. Plain tee shirts are a poor choice for concealment. I go with a loose button up shirt over a tank tee in the summer.

Not as popular for carrying as holsters, but I like these - you can carry a full size pistol, keys, phone, etc. in it and it leaves your pockets empty for comfort or to carry a pocket pistol in if you want:

Link Removed

I've been a recent fan of the Sneaky Pete PDA holster. Which of course you'd need a belt to wear with. I wear mine at the 3 o'clock position. Still it is comfortable, I don't wear any garment over it and it holds the firearms very securely with no one suspecting anything. It does wear well, holds your weapon securely, affords easy access, and won't stretch your budget. Something you may wish to check out.

If you aren't particularly wed to large calibers and frames, then sub-compacts or the older Walther design works. I can't use a sub-compact because they usually don't fit my hand very well, and I want a good grip.

I carry a Walther PPK/s in .380ACP. It has a 1 inch width, and the grip is full enough for me to handle it comfortably.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back