Progressive lenses and handgun sights

rcpfaff

I am an admitted newbie and I have trouble wearing my prescription progressive-lens glasses while shooting. I've seen a lot of discussion on modifying stance and lenses, but nothing about the sights.

I've borrowed weapons, but haven't bought yet. My limited experience is that the painted dot on the front sight is too dim to acquire through two layers of polycarbonate (my glasses and safety glasses). 36 years as a chemist have taught me that polycarbonate lenses mute colors.

Rather than head-bobbing or dedicated glasses, what do people think about switching out iron sights in favor of light pipes or tritium sights to increase visibility of the sights?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Fiber optic sights are very popular and would probably work well for you. Tritium inserts are used extensively for night sights and work well in low light situations but I doubt they would make much difference for you during the day, at least I know they do not make any difference to me during the day - I still need some brightly colored circle around the tritium insert for normal daylight shooting.

I started shooting last year with old eyes. Without glasses could see iron sights perfectly but target not so much. With glasses could see target but couldn’t see sights. Neither option was good. I ended up having special prescription glasses made with a small bifocal section at the top of my left eye lense. This was the only thing that worked for me. Different colored sights or night sights had no positive effect. Now just had cataract surgery and everything changed. No longer need the special glasses since I no longer have progressive lenses. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back