Priority - bob bag or sustainability kit?

ryan.alva

In your opinion, what needs to be prepared first: bob bag or sustainability kit?

I guess I jumped the gun in asking. I see from a little article I just read talking about the very thing I asked.
Sustainability kit - supplies that you and or your family can sustain living on and with for 3weeks to 3months.
BOB - a bag of gear taken with youth survive on until your bug out location. Usually gear that is lightweight and disposable unlike the durable and long lasting gear of the sustainability kit.

First thought... are you more likely to need to BO or more likely to shelter in place. Depends on where you live, the surrounding population, your source of food/water/sewage/electric and the type of emergency.

I would think in the short term a BOB would be better as far as having something ready if you need to leave quickly. Then you can work on the sustainability kit. I don't have the money for a BOL, so I'm planning on bugging in and defending my home. I have some BOBs, but where I'm located there really isn't much I would need to bug out for (freeway not close, so no chemical spills, no flooding, no forest fires).

I would think in the short term a BOB would be better as far as having something ready if you need to leave quickly. Then you can work on the sustainability kit. I don't have the money for a BOL, so I'm planning on bugging in and defending my home. I have some BOBs, but where I'm located there really isn't much I would need to bug out for (freeway not close, so no chemical spills, no flooding, no forest fires).
Same here. I live in the country with my own land, wells, sewage system, generators, etc. There's nothing near me to cause a disaster. We don't see earthquakes, tornados or hurricanes in the mountainous areas of NYS. No chemical plants, industrial complexes or population nearby so I'll hold my place.

In your opinion, what needs to be prepared first: bob bag or sustainability kit?

Like others have asked, what's your particular situation? That is the determining factor. Do you perceive danger that would cause you to G-O-O-D as a first response or do you think you'd be better served to S-I-P? Figure out the priority and then prepare accordingly. I find it to be good practice to maintain enough supplies to S-I-P for three to five months w/o resupply as well as have BoBs at the ready in case we need to haul @ss to an alternate location. I've covered both bases over time, I can tell you that the first thing I did was prepare our BoBs b/c they aren't very expensive and take only a few hours to procure the necessary gear (if you didn't already have it). I've had dry-goods stored since 2011 and continue to add to the supply as I can so, it is an ongoing thing... prepping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back