Press Checks are Stupid!

bofh

Banned
Since I just read this article on Concealed Nation arguing that a press check is an integral part of maintaining the readiness of a defensive firearm (Press Check: Know Your Firearm’s Status), I thought I bring this topic up in this forum.

Press checks are stupid! If they are an integral part of maintaining the readiness of your defensive firearm, then you have learned a bad gun handling habit and you are an amateur. There is not a single situation where a press check makes sense. I do not know of any reputable firearms training school that teaches them.

Press checks are a routine, standard, and wise procedure to ensure you really did chamber a round.

When your life depends on your gun, whether handgun or long gun or both, you will embrace the press check every time you chamber and holster or sling your weapon.

Press checks are a routine, standard, and wise procedure to ensure you really did chamber a round.

When your life depends on your gun, whether handgun or long gun or both, you will embrace the press check every time you chamber and holster or sling your weapon.

You are supposed to know the status of your firearms at all times. Your gun is either loaded or unloaded. If you don't know the status of the firearm, then you proceed with loading it. Why? Because racking the slide is faster and safer than performing a press check, and already in your muscle memory. Performing a press check after chambering a round is redundant and unnecessary gun handling. If you have a handgun that doesn't load a round in the chamber when racking the slide, then you have bigger problems than performing a press check.

You obviously didn't watch the video. I have personally seen people doing press checks in training classes. These are training classes that teach FAST (Fight, Assess, Scan, Top Off). Yes, these students performed a press check after top off. Some even performed a press check by loudly announcing "press check" after getting the run-down for the next exercise. They had already forgotten that they just did a press check 3 minutes ago with the last top off. One press check leads to more press checks like a virus or an exponential development of OCD. Soon you see a press check when the student is supposed to engage a threat. Yes, I have seen that in a class.

Press checks are also a source for malfunctions and negligent discharges. Press checks on semi-auto rifles are completely retarded, as the probability of inducing a malfunction is quite high.

Rob Pincus on administrative reloads - Why I only teach ONE Reload technique as a fundamental defensive skill... and why I don't "press check":

If your life depends on your gun why was it unloaded in the first place. ?

That said, I have a real hard time with the opposing concepts of "reputable trainers" and "James Yeager" appearing in the same post

That said, I have a real hard time with the opposing concepts of "reputable trainers" and "James Yeager" appearing in the same post

See it this way, "reputable trainers" and "James Yeager" don't do press checks.

Isn't this the guy who said he was going to start killing people? I don't think he's in any position to tell others what is and is not stupid.

Isn't this the guy who said he was going to start killing people? I don't think he's in any position to tell others what is and is not stupid.

Yes, he is, and haters gonna hate, that still doesn't mean he is wrong. I posted a video by Rob Pincus as well. A personal attack on the messenger is just that, a personal attack. It is not an argument against the message. Press checks are stupid no matter who is saying it.

Press checks are for John Wick wannabes like this one. Drawing your weapon and performing a press check is stupid squared, but I have seen it on the range.

Here is one reputable firearms trainer showing how to perform a press check. Note that this does not mean Larry Vickers teaches them in regular classes. He also goes over the major drawbacks, such as NDs and the famous decocking of the universally hated Beretta.

Press checks are being used by police officers and, as Vickers says, by special operation guys, but they are an outdated technique. As I mentioned before, a press check is to verify that there is a round in the chamber. When there is not, one has to rack the slide anyway. The press check is for guys that do not know the status of their weapon (first problem) and that do not want to waste a round to make sure it is loaded (second problem).

This is John Farnam on WIN (What's Important Now?). While this video is directed at malfunction clearance, it applies to press checks too. The key is non-diagnostic gun handling. A press check performs a diagnosis. It doesn't fix anything. Diagnosis with a press check and fixing a discovered problem by racking the slide is not only two separate steps, but also focuses your attention on the gun instead of on the threat or on the situation around you. If you want to make sure your gun is loaded, then load it by racking the slide!

Another professional press checker, for "value added", what ever that means (at 4:22). Again, if you think that your firearm doesn't load a round when you rack the slide, then you have other problems than the press check, you have a shitty firearm that you shouldn't use as a defensive tool.

Note that he uses the term press check for the rifle, but it is an actual magazine check. Unfortunately, he then argues for an actual press check anyway (after jumping out of a helicopter in the dark) while he could just pull the charging handle. Yes, even professionals have bad gun handling habits.

PS: I certainly could launch a personal attack against Travis Haley to discredit him, as I have (publicly known) dirt on him, the same way people use James Yeager's "I am gonna kill people" statement to discredit him. I won't do that. I even say that I have HaleyStrategic gear that I am quite happy with.

The handgun I carry is loaded period. I see no value in doing a press check.

Having said that, James Yeager isnt the guy I'd pick for a spokesmodel. Like it or not his reputation detracts from the message

Yes, he is, and haters gonna hate, that still doesn't mean he is wrong.
Well, yes it does. The man should be in prison for making terrorist threats. Using him as your source material casts a shadow on you.

Press checks are stupid, and so is James Yeager and so is anyone who cites him as an informational source.

Well, yes it does. The man should be in prison for making terrorist threats. Using him as your source material casts a shadow on you.

Press checks are stupid, and so is James Yeager and so is anyone who cites him as an informational source.

LOL. Haters gonna hate, especially the clueless ones. There is something called the 1st Amendment. You might want to read and understand it. The fact is that James Yeager was investigated by DHS and never charged, let alone convicted. He even maintained all of his rights, including his 2nd Amendment right, throughout the investigation. I guess to haters like you that means nothing. Your post casts a shadow on you.

There is something called the 1st Amendment.
The first amendment does not extend to threats, and the first amendment does not apply to YouTube anyway as it's private property. The first amendment doesn't apply here, either. You seem fairly ignorant on the Consitution and, sadly, you seem to enjoy your ignorance. But you are right about one thing: haters gonna hate, so I'll leave you to it :)

Happy press-checking.

The first amendment does not extend to threats, and the first amendment does not apply to YouTube anyway as it's private property. The first amendment doesn't apply here, either. You seem fairly ignorant on the Consitution and, sadly, you seem to enjoy your ignorance. But you are right about one thing: haters gonna hate, so I'll leave you to it :)

Wow, for someone who is accusing me of being ignorant of the Constitution, you clearly are. Your statement regarding YouTube is completely misguided. YouTube is a private company and can do with its content what ever it wants. However, this has nothing to do with your accusation of James Yeager making terrorist threats and that you think he should be in prison. The 1st Amendment protected James Yeager from criminal prosecution by the US government. That's why your accusation is baseless. That's why I said you are clueless. That's why haters gonna hate, because they are clueless.

Happy press-checking.

Not sure what that comment is about.

It seems that there is some misdirection occurring here. I do a press check every time I holster my gun each morning. I do it BEFORE I holster my gun, not AFTER I draw the gun. If I confirm that there is a round chambered BEFORE I holster the gun, and I have not taken my gun out of the holster, then I am certain that there is a round chambered if I need to use the gun.
I agree that unholstering the gun and THEN doing a press check on the way to the target is silly. You should have confirmed that before the gun goes into the holster.

Seems to me the only time it is necessary to check if a round was chambered is the first time a round is chambered.

My guns have never ejected chambered rounds all by themselves just because they sat in the bed holster overnight or on my hip/in my pocket during the day so I see no need to constantly check to see if the round I chambered yesterday/day before/last week is still there.

Bikenut, when I take off my gun at night, it will be out of my sight for at least some period of time. Showering, walking to the other side of the house, etc. What if for some strange reason my wife handled my gun and unchambered a round? I would holster it the next morning thinking that it had a round chambered, when in fact it did not. A press check takes me about 2 seconds and no real effort to execute to be certain.
There is a 99.999% chance that this will never happen, but to me, my life is worth eliminating that tiny risk.
We each decide what our own lives are worth.

Bikenut, when I take off my gun at night, it will be out of my sight for at least some period of time. Showering, walking to the other side of the house, etc. What if for some strange reason my wife handled my gun and unchambered a round? I would holster it the next morning thinking that it had a round chambered, when in fact it did not. A press check takes me about 2 seconds and no real effort to execute to be certain.
There is a 99.999% chance that this will never happen, but to me, my life is worth eliminating that tiny risk.
We each decide what our own lives are worth.
There are 3 adults living in my home and we all have loaded guns either on our persons or at least within easy reach at all times but.........................

If I thought for one half of one half second that I couldn't trust the other people living in my house not to be messing around with my (or their own!) guns then I would enforce a firm rule that all guns must either be on the person or locked up in the safe.

Oh... and my gun goes everywhere with me even into the bathroom regardless of if I am going to take a shower or attend to a different need.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back