Practice Ammunition Foe A 45 Caliber Hand Gun

rock919

Practice Ammunition For A 45 Caliber Hand Gun

I use Remington UMC for my Sig Sauer P226R. It is a 9mm. What do I use when shooting a 1911 which takes 45mm ammunition at the range? Do they sell ammunition to practice with? I understand I can use snap caps which are rubber bullets. I am inquiring about a bullet which would actually be used for target practice? I would appreciate your response.

The best rounds to use for practice are going to be Full Metal Jacket rounds or Ball ammo. It has the advantage of feeding well, and being relatively inexpensive. Any Brand will work and for the most part Cheap Rounds are OK. I would avoid any rounds that have steel cores or cases though.

Since you are asking on a Concealed Carry forum I will address this topic as well. Carry ammo will obviously be different than your prectice ammunition. It is possible to use a practice ammunition that shares some characteristics to your carry ammo. For example using a ball ammunition with the same bullet weight and approximate muzzle velocity of your carry load. But for some that is a bit silly.

Snap Caps technically speaking are not ammunition. They are hunks of anodized aluminum machined to exactly match various ammunition types but with a rubber stopper where the primer should be.

Snap Caps being solid aluminum will never go bang and are more difficult to confuse with live ammo than a drilled or dummy round. I use them for dry firing practice and I also use them for practice clearing weapons malfunctions.

They also have a good deal of value in revealing recoil anticipation in students. A snap cap loaded in a magazine with live rounds on the range allows a student (or me) to see their flinch quite well and take steps to correct it. (normally by a good deal of dry firing on the range)

Note that usage of snap caps for training or dry firing does not in any way relieve you of safe weapons handling requirements. All of the rules of safe firearms handling are always in effect!

I use Winchester White Box in .45ACP for target and have never had a bit of problem with it. I've used UMC in .40Win with no problem, and would not hesitate to use it in .45ACP.

I buy PMC Bronze .45 FMJ in bulk online. Ends up costing me about $16-17 a box and it's delivered to my front door. Flawless performance.

Natchez to buy large amounts. If you do not buy in quantity you will killed by the shipping. The only "cheap" practice ammo that gave me problems was American Eagle.

If you feel you may someday reload start saving brass now. If you are possitive you will never reload Natchez has CCI with aluminuim cases cheaper than brass. Wal Mart is still your best buy for small amounts by which I mean less that 200 rounds.

USA, ok?

I buy PMC Bronze .45 FMJ in bulk online. Ends up costing me about $16-17 a box and it's delivered to my front door. Flawless performance.

Buy American and Americans work B2Tall. I always look at the box of ammo I am purchasing to make sure where its produced.

Thank you for your comments to my question. I appreciate your efforts. It is a lot clearer to me in regard to 45 mm target rounds!

Buy American and Americans work B2Tall. I always look at the box of ammo I am purchasing to make sure where its produced.

Considering the long trail of paid American workers who handle PMC ammo from the time it enters this country to the time it reaches my doorstep, I don't feel at all bad about buying a foreign-made product. As a matter of fact, sometimes the US import, distribution, and retail companies that handle such products employ more Americans than a heavily automated domestic factory would.

In any case, I appreciate where you're coming from and also appreciate your input.

Any quality 230gr fmj ammunition will do for practice. Winchester White Box, Remington Green Box, PMC Bronze etc .......... check out ammunitiontogo.com

Any quality 230gr fmj ammunition will do for practice. Winchester White Box, Remington Green Box, PMC Bronze etc .......... check out ammunitiontogo.com
Yep. Any and all that are brass cased and non-corrosive. And on occasion I'll run thru the defensive loads to use them up and stay in practice. A 230gr FMJ does shoot differently from a 230gr JHP +P round in .45.

I don't buy practice ammunition. I load my own, mostly 200gr. LSWCs and Bullseye in the .45acp.

Back in 1979 I decided that practice and competition ammunition was FAR too expensive to buy from the store. It hasn't gotten one bit cheaper since then.

I like to shoot a lot. I couldn't afford to do it if I bought ammunition, other than self-defense ammunition.

There's an upfront cost for equipment but it paid for itself in weeks on two different Dillon RL550Bs. If you buy something cheaper and simpler, like an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, the initial cost is significantly lower.

In addition, you can have the ammunition YOU want. Nobody around here sells bullseye handgun loads for the .45acp, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody ANYWHERE even loads my .30-06 target load of a 200gr. Sierra Match King and IMR4350.

I don't buy practice ammunition. I load my own, mostly 200gr. LSWCs and Bullseye in the .45acp.

Back in 1979 I decided that practice and competition ammunition was FAR too expensive to buy from the store. It hasn't gotten one bit cheaper since then.

I like to shoot a lot. I couldn't afford to do it if I bought ammunition, other than self-defense ammunition.

There's an upfront cost for equipment but it paid for itself in weeks on two different Dillon RL550Bs. If you buy something cheaper and simpler, like an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, the initial cost is significantly lower.

In addition, you can have the ammunition YOU want. Nobody around here sells bullseye handgun loads for the .45acp, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody ANYWHERE even loads my .30-06 target load of a 200gr. Sierra Match King and IMR4350.
Only one problem, many ranges do not allow reloads for insurance reasons.

What do I use when shooting a 1911 which takes 45mm ammunition at the range? Do they sell ammunition to practice with?

If you're not interested in reloading and want a reasonably-priced source of practice ammo, take a look at Link Removed.

Practice Ammunition. Practice is the key to success. That is true whether you are talking about shooting, engineering, military operations, or defense. Practice takes dedication, time, deliberation, and money. In today's economy, maximize your practice with remanufactured ammo from Feral Ammunition. We use only high quality cast lead and plated bullets to maximize performance and minimize cost. In fact, our remanufactured line is competitively priced with the best home reloads! We use only clean, inspected, once fired brass to reduce cost but maintain quality. We also offer a line of equivalent factory new ammunition for those who desire.

UNQUOTE

Take a look at CCC Ammo. They make quality remanufactured ammo and every now and then they have 45s at a very good price. I just got a shipment from them and it looks as good as factory stuff.

I use Remington UMC for my Sig Sauer P226R. It is a 9mm. What do I use when shooting a 1911 which takes 45mm ammunition at the range? Do they sell ammunition to practice with? I understand I can use snap caps which are rubber bullets. I am inquiring about a bullet which would actually be used for target practice? I would appreciate your response.

Since you are up in Kennesaw, check out Georgia Arms over in Villa Rica. He's also on the 'net at Georgia Arms Any of his round nose or round nose flat point stuff will work. He's close enough to you that a trip over and back would save you a pretty penny in shipping.

I have been using Gunn Ammo (produced here in Georgia) almost exclusively for all my guns (9mm, .40 & .45)

Link Removed

I have been using Gunn Ammo (produced here in Georgia) almost exclusively for all my guns (9mm, .40 & .45)

Very clean.... and at least as accurate as I am :pleasantry:

Link Removed

I assume you're satisfied with the 9mm Remington UMC you're using as range ammo. I use Remington UMC for my range sessions with my .45 ACP 1911. In my area, Walmart sells the Remington UMC 250-round boxes at a very competitive price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back