Power of Attorney" to DENY our military

Banjarmon

I have read somewhere that when a person goes in to the military and/or into a combat zone the He or She must sign their Power of Attorney to someone else. I also hear government officials are now using "the signing of the Power of Attorney" to deny our military guys gun permits and/or the rights of the SECOND AMENDMENT after they leave the Military.

Has anyone else seen this and what can we do about it??

When I find the news item I will post a link.

here it is

Link Removed

It is NEVER REQUIRED that you sign a power of attorney, but it is a legal service that is offered to service members free of charge, particularly as part of a pre-deployment work-up. Before sending them to a legal officer, I always counseled my Marines to be very careful about who they might give a power of attorney to, and that if there was any doubt with respect to their trustworthiness not to do it. A limited power of attorney usually could also be made available. In the event of your demise or prolonged incapacitation, a power of attorney could save your loved ones a great deal of hassle and grief, and may enable them to do you a lot of good when you are unable to fend for yourself. Key element was trust; if they (the person who would receive your power of attorney) can't be absolutely trusted you were much better off without it.

It is a Limited Power of Attorney.

Even a General Power of Attorney does not surrender your rights. It is only good for as long as you want it to be good. You can revoke it anytime you want.

I don't think limited power of attorney means what you think it means

It seems as if you do not believe that others on here have the competence to understand a Power of Attorney's meaning and use. I have used one several times in the past for different reasons and have yet to have a problem with them. Although you may not agree with us, why the necessity to be so adversarial? And, for this site to be named USA Conspiracy.com and not quite come up to your standards, why do you bother coming here if you are not a conspiracy theorist also? You remind me of someone else who used to post on here in your same fashion. Does the name MossyHead ring a bell?

If you don't revoke the PoA, How long does it last and can it be used against a person or vet who want to exercise his 2A rights?

If you don't revoke the PoA, How long does it last and can it be used against a person or vet who want to exercise his 2A rights?
A PoA can have an expiration date set at the time it is created. Most do. I am not aware of how a PoA could prevent the exercise of any of your rights. It can be revoked at any time by the person who created it. It is possible for someone to sell or otherwise dispose of all your firearms if you have given them a general PoA, and they can cause all kinds of financial mischief including leaving you broke. That's why you should never give a PoA to anyone you do not trust implicitly. I have not heard even a rumor of anything like what is described in the linked article taking place anywhere. I note not one specific instance is cited in the article. Frankly, I think it's a bunch of hooey.

Thia article is about case and point...His wife appears to have PoA

Feds Take Aim at Decorated Combat Veteran's Gun Rights - Salem-News.Com

Pat Kirby answered his country's call to arms during the Vietnam War, serving multiple tours, suffering injuries, watching friends die. Today he has a letter from the VA telling him that because his wife takes care of their family finances, he is deemed "incompetent" and for this reason, he has to turn in his guns and relinquish his 2nd Amendment Rights, or face going to prison.

I'm just trying to find ANSWERS.

This is ridiculous the VA doesn’t have the authority to confiscate anyone’s gun or declare anyone incompetent. There is a legal process for doing so and it can’t be done with out the person being aware unless they truly are incompetent.

My wife takes care of my finances. Does that make me incompetent? No, just lazy. Plus, she is an accountant and is better at it.

A POA does not prohibit anyone from exercising any legal right or from acting on their own behalf. The holder of the POA may not overrule you. It merely gives another person the authority to act on your behalf pursuant to exactly the powers granted therein.

The linked article is more of the usual fabricated tinfoil hat anti-administration crap--in particular the following sentence: "...Why? Apparently President Obama believes that a soldiers inability to handle his/her finances while having bullets flying overhead deems them mentally incompetent and so their name is put into the NICS database which makes it impossible to pass the background check..." The pathetic thing is that there appear to be LOTS of gullible far right-wing types so consumed with hatred and suspicion of "liberals" in general and Obama in particular that they are a ready market for that kind of nonsense. Why, I bet they'd even believe articles about the fed govt buying millions of coffins and requiring general officers to take oaths that they'd be happy to shoot US citizens in the upcoming period of national martial law.

I agree. Sometimes the pro-gun side is just as driven by emotion and hysteria as the anti-gun side is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back