Police say gun toting man poses threat to Portland

dad45acp

Police say gun-toting man poses threat to Portland | The Morning Sentinel, Waterville, ME

Well this is an interesting one. Exercising his rights? He's exercising confrontations and admits it. Does this provide education to the general public about responsible carry practices? IMHO, he makes us all look like bung-holes. This isn't advocacy. What he is demonstrating is actually hurting the open carry crowd in Maine and everywhere else for that matter.

On a side note, this practice would be frowned upon anywhere in the State let alone Portland where the Chief is pro gun-control.

S.........M.........H

If we actually lived in "The land of the free and the home of the brave", this would be a non-issue. Instead we live in a nanny state over run by a bunch of busy bodies.

Carlos Reed is standing up for our rights. He and other like him are heros. He has committed no crime. His rights ARE being infringed to make scare people that try to exercise their rights.

If the people and the police were actually educated, we would never hear about things like this. If the police responded in a way that actually respected his rights, the public would get a proper education. Instead, the police perpetuate the public ignorance. The police response teaches the public that we do not have a right to keep and bear arms.

He definitely looks odd. Sort of hollow... like there's nothing going on behind those eyes.

If we actually lived in "The land of the free and the home of the brave", this would be a non-issue. Instead we live in a nanny state over run by a bunch of busy bodies.

Carlos Reed is standing up for our rights. He and other like him are heros. He has committed no crime. His rights ARE being infringed to make scare people that try to exercise their rights.

If the people and the police were actually educated, we would never hear about things like this. If the police responded in a way that actually respected his rights, the public would get a proper education. Instead, the police perpetuate the public ignorance. The police response teaches the public that we do not have a right to keep and bear arms.

Then who would be at fault if Maine were to abolish OC after these types of cases where citizens are carrying 120rds of ammo, and AR and looking for LEO encounters? If I knew NOTHING of the 2nd Amendment, CC or OC and went about as another sheep in this world as many do, I would think a case like this should ramp up more gun control.

I would also like to point out that the cops responding to this guy is taking the Leo's away from other duties and responses. What makes it worse is that the encounters are welcomed and he has no issue creating them. Soooooo how in the world does that educate the public?

Sent from my hand-held mind distractor

All you have to do is look at what open carry got them in California. A bunch of folks went around shoving open carry in people's faces and got their right to do so taken away.

As much as I think this guy is strange, he is pushing the envelope and trying to open people's eyes that what he did is perfectly legal. What the LEO's did was not. Threatening manner? I call BS on that. The defendant is absolutely right, that is the proper and safe way to carry a rifle, and you will see police when they are carrying their AR's, carry it in the same manner.

I hope this guy gets off on all charges, gets his weapons back, and sues the city police department for breach of his 4th amendment rights.

I'm not sure about Maine, but in most OC states, a LEO may not detain you for the sole purpose of OCing. That's what happened here. Any ME residents know the law about being detained and OCing?

As much as I think this guy is strange, he is pushing the envelope and trying to open people's eyes that what he did is perfectly legal. What the LEO's did was not. Threatening manner? I call BS on that. The defendant is absolutely right, that is the proper and safe way to carry a rifle, and you will see police when they are carrying their AR's, carry it in the same manner.

I hope this guy gets off on all charges, gets his weapons back, and sues the city police department for breach of his 4th amendment rights.

I'm not sure about Maine, but in most OC states, a LEO may not detain you for the sole purpose of OCing. That's what happened here. Any ME residents know the law about being detained and OCing?

He was detained in regards to a 'threatening display of a weapon' which is a statute in Maine. He can't be detained solely for OC. His low ready posture of his openly carried rifle is enough for that statute to come into play and he can be stopped.

Then who would be at fault if Maine were to abolish OC after these types of cases where citizens are carrying 120rds of ammo, and AR and looking for LEO encounters? If I knew NOTHING of the 2nd Amendment, CC or OC and went about as another sheep in this world as many do, I would think a case like this should ramp up more gun control.

I would also like to point out that the cops responding to this guy is taking the Leo's away from other duties and responses. What makes it worse is that the encounters are welcomed and he has no issue creating them. Soooooo how in the world does that educate the public?

Who would be at fault? The rest of the gun rights supporters in Maine who did nothing to support this guy and educate the rest of the population. The fault would also lie with the police and politicians who help promote disinformation regarding our gun rights. OTOH, the police and politicians do what they do because they don't get enough heat from the other gun right supporters in Maine. So in each case the fault falls on the gun rights supporters who are not getting out and education their friends and neighbors.

The police and police dispatchers should be the ones educating the public. When a call comes in, the dispatchers should be asking some pointed questions of the caller to find out if there is an actual threat and not just a guy walking around doing NOTHING illegal.

All you have to do is look at what open carry got them in California. A bunch of folks went around shoving open carry in people's faces and got their right to do so taken away.

All I have to do is look around in public any day of the week. OC is legal and common here in the great and free state of Arizona. Our population is educated and if anyone calls in about stuff like this, the police dispatchers find out if there is a real problem and educate the caller if there is not.

Like it our not, this guy is fighting all of our fight. We can either stick together fighting for ALL of our 2nd amendment rights or we will loose them all a little at a time. We've already lost too many as it is. We need to fight back hard or at least support those people who are.

Who would be at fault? The rest of the gun rights supporters in Maine who did nothing to support this guy and educate the rest of the population. The fault would also lie with the police and politicians who help promote disinformation regarding our gun rights. OTOH, the police and politicians do what they do because they don't get enough heat from the other gun right supporters in Maine. So in each case the fault falls on the gun rights supporters who are not getting out and education their friends and neighbors.

The police and police dispatchers should be the ones educating the public. When a call comes in, the dispatchers should be asking some pointed questions of the caller to find out if there is an actual threat and not just a guy walking around doing NOTHING illegal.

All I have to do is look around in public any day of the week. OC is legal and common here in the great and free state of Arizona. Our population is educated and if anyone calls in about stuff like this, the police dispatchers find out if there is a real problem and educate the caller if there is not.

Like it our not, this guy is fighting all of our fight. We can either stick together fighting for ALL of our 2nd amendment rights or we will loose them all a little at a time. We've already lost too many as it is. We need to fight back hard or at least support those people who are.

Well I wish he'd fight for our rights without using hypodermic needles. And since when does walking around at night with body armor, 120rds of ammo and a rifle at low ready do anything for gun rights? If I met this individual on the street I sure as hell wouldn't have the warm and fuzzies as he approached me. Body armor and low ready.....really??

Police say gun-toting man poses threat to Portland | The Morning Sentinel, Waterville, ME

Well this is an interesting one. Exercising his rights? He's exercising confrontations and admits it. Does this provide education to the general public about responsible carry practices? IMHO, he makes us all look like bung-holes. This isn't advocacy. What he is demonstrating is actually hurting the open carry crowd in Maine and everywhere else for that matter.

On a side note, this practice would be frowned upon anywhere in the State let alone Portland where the Chief is pro gun-control.

S.........M.........H

Seemed to work out well for the gay and lesbian parades and they called it advocacy. Don't like our lifestyle then we'll just ram it down your throat with a disgusting visual display that would land anybody else in jail for indecent exposure. Maybe if this guy would tone it down just a notch or two he might be on to something.

Well I wish he'd fight for our rights without using hypodermic needles. And since when does walking around at night with body armor, 120rds of ammo and a rifle at low ready do anything for gun rights? If I met this individual on the street I sure as hell wouldn't have the warm and fuzzies as he approached me. Body armor and low ready.....really??

I agree the needles and steroids are a huge problem.

I don't get the warm and fuzzies from anyone I don't know very well. Any stranger that approaches me or mine is subject to serious observation. Anyone out at that time of night is to be treated with an even higher level of suspicion.

This guy may not be doing things using the best possible tactics but I won't throw anyone to the wolves for pushing back against the loss of our 2nd amendment rights.

He was detained in regards to a 'threatening display of a weapon' which is a statute in Maine. He can't be detained solely for OC. His low ready posture of his openly carried rifle is enough for that statute to come into play and he can be stopped.

I'm just curious now. How would one carry a rifle in ME that does not get the LE riled up to think that the carry method was considered "threatening"? The low ready carry style is taught in many venues as a safe way to carry.

Although I have always disagreed with Openly Carrying rifles, I have to say this one is going to be tough for both Reed and the Police. Ive always felt Open Carry should be limited to the choice of the responsible gun owners. Openly carrying an AR-15 simply has no place on the streets at the wee hours of the morning, does he think hes going to come across a war in the middle of the evening? I Open Carry from time to time, but it has never been more than my M&P 40, and I openly carried due to the attire I was wearing didnt make it convenient to carry concealed. Youd be surprised at how many people either dont notice, or dont care, however you shove an OC AR-15 down their throats, people care.
Be smart, is all I have to say, Reed may have had the Maine Government take rights away simply because he decided to be an idiot.

I'm just curious now. How would one carry a rifle in ME that does not get the LE riled up to think that the carry method was considered "threatening"? The low ready carry style is taught in many venues as a safe way to carry.

Its a position that is ready for engagement. Do you carry your pistol low ready? Of course not. That's how someone would be stopped for brandishing or whatever a specific State has for a statute. Coupled with body armor and at least 4 loaded mags this guy is just protesting. And at the end of the day who is going to have the bigger voice? Suzie Soccer Mom.

I would hope those who think that open carry "in your face" confrontational tactics will result in further restrictions upon the right to bear arms would check out post #12 at:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...0718-rabid-anti-open-carriers.html#post478094

that explains how open carry... and even the open carry of rifles... impacted carrying guns openly in public in Michigan. Contrary to the constant attempts from some gun owners to "scare" everyone into only carrying guns in ways they think are "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable", by saying open carry for the purpose of shocking advocacy will result in bad things for gun owners................ the exact opposite happened in Michigan.

And yes, there was an incident where a fellow carried an AR15 into a Ponderosa in Lansing prompting a police over reaction that ended up with the Lansing police being retrained in the legality of carrying long guns in public. And there was a young fellow who carried a loaded M1 Garand in Birmingham that was arrested and beat the rap because OC of long guns is legal. And while there were many incidents of folks openly carrying pistols when a different young man carried a shot gun into a Lansing Library the resulting court case that focused on banning ALL guns (exactly what y'all are so damn scared of) ended up with an Appeals Court ruling that, in Michigan, an "Authority" (like a library authority or a downtown development authority or a mass transit authority) does NOT have the power to make gun law (have no guns rules).

The end result of all that wasn't a plethora of new restrictions on the right to bear arms (like some folks are so scared will happen) but the police in Lansing were retrained (and it is highly likely EVERY police agency in Mi. heard about it internally!) and we now have case law that prevents "authorities" from banning guns.

Follow the links below:

Link Removed

Witness: Troy Teen Arrested for Carrying Rifle 'Was in His Legal Right' - Police & Fire - Troy, MI Patch

Link Removed

Anyone have any cites and/or links to incidents and/or court cases where the hidden so it doesn't scare anyone concealed carry has had a similar positive impact on police depts. or case law? Not being a jerk... just wanting facts.

There is a price to pay for everything we do in life.

For an individual to openly admit that he is looking for confrontation with police would worry most sensible people.
~
This individual just stands out in a crowd of sensible people as someone who needs to be watched. What law enforcement has the manpower, budget or inclination to baby sit anyone or everyone. This is not their job and if the mental health system finds him competent let him stand trial for his infractions of the law and pay the price for his actions.
~
We can all do what we want in life as long as we are ready and willing to accept the consequences of our actions. In this case he was not as schooled on the law as he thought and is pushing the point, now he will have to pay for it and isn't happy and wants everyone's sympathy.
~
Not getting it here. I open carry daily and have never been hassled once by anyone, just got home from at trip from Ohio to Arkansas and back carrying the whole time, both open and concealed (Arkansas not open carry) without even a blink from anyone along the way. But I wasn't packing a long rifle, body armor, extra mags and a side arm either so it really doesn't compare. Yet the public didn't react to a MWAG that they didn't know who was in a car with out of state plates..

Its a position that is ready for engagement. Do you carry your pistol low ready? Of course not. That's how someone would be stopped for brandishing or whatever a specific State has for a statute. Coupled with body armor and at least 4 loaded mags this guy is just protesting. And at the end of the day who is going to have the bigger voice? Suzie Soccer Mom.

I just re-read the article. There is no mention of a 3-pt sling. I was envisioning a sling with the rifle pointed down. Was he actually carrying this in his hands?? OK, I would have to agree that if so, he is a moron.

The people responsible would be the idiots that believe that the only way to keep and protect a RIGHT is to not exercise it because it might upset someone. It is a shame that not only the anti-gun nuts want to steal our rights but gun owners as well.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back