Pocket lint

Thehandyman

My every day carry gun in a small, inexpensive .25 automatic that I keep in a soft armor holster, with 3 extra magazines in my other pocket.

It is a very small gun, obviously, but it is nearly impossible to pull out of my pocket when sitting down (Such as driving) or under some other circumstances.

If I didn't have it in the holster, it would be much easier to pull out.

Currently I am looking at a Kahr PM9 micro pistol.

I keep my carry pistol in my front right pocket, pistol facing the pocket, and my cell phone against my leg. Nothing else goes in the pocket.

On my left hand pocket, go my keys, my leatherman, change, and sometimes even my wallet if I have a hole in my back pocket, and also, the 3 spare magazines.

I work on a ranch, and feeding the horses often fills both my front pockets with alfalfa residue, which gets everywhere. If I cleaned the magazines out daily, it might be enough. The pistol is wrapped in the holster, which helps. But the holster utterly prevents me from bringing the pistol out in any sort of speed- and when it is out, then I have to remove the gun from the holster. Sometimes I cannot even pull the pistol out of my pocket while standing without a great deal of difficulty.

Currently I am also a handyman, which means I am frequently crawling around on my back, on my belly, on my side, bending over, moving around in virtually every position. I do automotive work, too, which can mean I am laying on my back with my legs up, so that sometimes the contents of my pockets will fall down onto the ground. Fortunately, nobody here in Prescott bats an eye when they see me pull out the contents of one pocket, and they see the magazines there. One clerk even asked me what caliber it was.

Looking at this new every day carry Kahr, I am worried about hay residue, dust and dirt entering the handgun. I plan on carrying two or more extra magazines for the gun. I do not want to carry the gun IWB or OWB, although sometimes it might be warranted.

I see these small holsters that go in the pocket and I cringe. How does the pistol stay in one position? The larger pistol I have stays roughly in the same position due to it's thickness in the holster. How does one grab the pistol out and not grab a handful of holster?

And what about the magazines? The mags I have are often filled with hay particles as I feed the horses every day. The witness holes are good, but I can see all sorts of debris entering in through them, and the top of the magazine as well. I know there are magazine carriers, but is there such a thing as a magazine protector for the pocket?

Couple of questions

Do you wear those really tight Wrangler jeans? If you do you may need a size bigger to comfortably conceal in your pocket.

To answer your overall question you’re going to have to make some changes till you find what works for you or accept that your gun is likely to fail you when you need it.

One thing that I do with the smaller pocket pistols is carry them in my shirt pocket, good heavy Wrangler Brush popper shirt and no one will even notice it.

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You need to change jobs or method of carrying. Consider a fanny pak or similar gun pouch. Perhaps a shoulder or OWB holster under your shirt. They sell pants that have a little flap that covers the pocket too.

If you come home after work and have hay residue in your underwear, it's probably hopeless.

Good luck! Let us know what alternative you come up with that works.

Get a giant t-shirt that is really long and can cover your pockets for when you're dealing with hay. Throw it on over what you're wearing when you go to feed the horses, take it off when you're done. But yeah, I'd recommend finding another way to carry, like the fanny pack topgun mentioned, or a belly band type holster you can tuck your shirt in over. Especially if you have trouble drawing. Don't pocket carry without a holster!

I might have to end up carrying iwb. I used to carry a G21 IWB and it was cumbersome due to my many movements in the field. But I did it.

Check out the Guru Dave holster that is carried in the hip pocket like a billfold. They have some now with a fake zipper top.

You might think about pants with cargo pockets there are many different pocket holsters in different shapes to fit pockets correctly so they stay in position properly you might also consider a smith and wesson j modle

I have recently gotten my permit in IL but I have carried for several years at work and in other states.

My favorite carry by far was my LCR in a pocket holster. I had a cheap uncle mikes and it worked fantastically. The holster is shaped just right and is just big enough to stay in place perfectly in jeans pockets or dress pants.

As far as drawing mine covered the trigger and left the entire grip exposed to draw, no issues at all. The outside had a rubber texture that grabbed the pocket also preventing the holster from coming out with the weapon.

They aren't expensive, give it a try.

IWB tucked or covered. I carry 3 o'clock strong IWB when I'm working outdoors. I can move freely while the gun is protected and kept safe and secure while remaining easily and quickly accessible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back