Pocket 380s as your main carry

I've probably put 500 rds or so through my LCP and never had a FTF yet. I've carried it daily since I bought it nearly 3 years ago. 150-200 rounds a year. I'm not a range shooter with any of my guns, most I own are for hunting (shotguns/rifles), my handguns for SD. I don't like any carry except front pocket unless I'm back in the woods where I open carry a .41 Mag, this gun is perfect for me.

I won't own a Taurus, but that 's just me.

I only carry the .380 when I can't possible carry anything else. I have a Kahr P380 ( I know he said other than in the opening post). I shot the required 200 rds for proper break in. My friend bought the Ruger LCP and to be quite honest that thing is brutal to shoot. I would not want to shoot more than a couple magazines at a time. However, it's a perfect concealed carry .380. It's super light and easy to conceal. The brutal shooting will prevent some people from proper practice and break in.

I didn't have a chance to read all of the posts. Remember that pocket carry builds more lint than any other carry type. Cleaning on occasion even though you don't shoot it is necessary.

I EDC the LPC. 380 because it conceals well in customized holster, in my pocket.

I would appreciate any suggestions for similar sized 380 (automatic) that shots single or double action like my old Detonics (pocket Six). I prefered that trigger's pull.

Broke with my tradition a couple yrs back and "parked" my 45s for a Makarov. Ultra reliable, light weight, slim, and accurate. Now I have replaced it with a 232 Sig in 380. Same qualities and in stainless. Neither were "pocket" guns but that is where they often were carried. I call 380s mini 45s. They travel slowly and hit hard instead of punching holes.

I am a NRA instructor , so unlike others I am at the range every week. Once I am on my own time there and shooting for myself the last thing I do is run a mag thru my EDC LCP. So unlike most , mine is getting loads down the pipe. As far as being difficult to shoot with the recoil, look into replacing the springs with the 13 lb springs from Wolff Springs. Best $15 I ever spent, 9 lb springs are the factory standard. Going to the 13# drops the recoil by 1/3. You can get them at gunsprings.com. Another problem with the Ruger and Kel-Tecs is they do not like to be dry, that is a major cause of FTF and FTE. Keep them lubed up and you should have no problems. Remember that leaving them in that holster will have the holster absorbing the oils from the gun and it may not function when you need it.

I have carried the LCP in my pocket in the summer or when I have to be completely concealed. Recently I came across an OWB holster that works great. It's a Don Hume leather #53-709 made for the Taurus PT709 Slim. Fits very close to the body & is invisible under a t-shirt.
Granted a 380 would not be my first choice to carry, but when needed, & loaded with the right ammo, it will be deadly.
Ladies, give this holster a try, you will be impressed!

I carry a Taurus TCP as a pocket carry when it must be deep concealed, or I can't dress around a bigger carry gun.

I normally pocket carry my Taurus TCP .380 with my NAA .22 Mag Mini-Revolver as backup during summer months. During winter months I've started carrying my Rossi 46102 plus my TCP. As you can see, I'm never really very far away from my .380!

Me myself, I would never carry a .380 as a main carry. Im a fairly big guy, and I can easily conceal a full size handgun. My mentality is that im going to be carrying a gun for worst case scenarios, last resort type of situations. I want something that will take out a threat ASAP. Im not condemning a .380 and I might even consider one as a BUG or a third gun, but im not too sure I would trust it with my life. Yes its better than nothing, but if I can carry a full size gun, I will, and when I cant conceal, I will open carry.

My concealed carry choice is a Sig P238. At age 70, I find myself appreciating less weight. The Sig P238 developed a bad rep in its early production...and its reputation was deserved. I was an early adopter and I paid the price. But this gun is now completely reliable. Because of it's light weight and small size, I can carry it OWB, IWM, in a pocket holster, or in a SmartCarry holster under my elastic-waist shorts. While the effectiveness of the .380 round has been debated ad nauseam, I'm satisfied that if I place my shots where they need to go, my odds are good. For me, that means practice, practice, practice. Fortunately, this gun's locked breech makes it a softer shooter than .380s with a blow-back design.

Last edited:
I also carry a Sig Sauer P238, with 13lb. recoil spring. Hornady Critical Defense ammo with 2 extra mags. I have put approx. 600 rounds through her without a hiccup. I can put a smile on a target at 15 yards. I'll drop someone if necessary. No problem. Here in Central Texas it is a great primary carry in the summer. Great on the boat, also. With my Taurus Judge Public Defender for the snakes.

I EDC a 642 in a pocket holster today. For many years I CCWd with a Walther (Interarms version) PPK. My main objection to the current crop of polymer superlight .380s is their light trigger pull. I am just not comfortable shoving a gun with a 5# trigger pull into my pocket, holster or not. The only .380 I have found (I am sure I haven't tried all of them!) to possess a comfortable (8 lb) trigger pull is the BERSA Thunder CC.

I like and carry my Bersa .380 with rem 95 grn ammo. At the range only and carry hp's in when in the public. I hav e carried them all .45 38 ,40cal . I shoot at least once a week all . I believe one well placed round is the only one you need. The 95 grn remington round will go thru a 3/4 inch plywood at 30 feet. Thats all I need.

My wife and I both carry Walther PK380's with Speer Gold Dot Ammo. I have matched my reloads to the weight and speed of the Gold Dot's for our practice shooting. I am lucky and have my own range to use right here at the house.
Bill

I EDC a 642 in a pocket holster today. For many years I CCWd with a Walther (Interarms version) PPK. My main objection to the current crop of polymer superlight .380s is their light trigger pull. I am just not comfortable shoving a gun with a 5# trigger pull into my pocket, holster or not. The only .380 I have found (I am sure I haven't tried all of them!) to possess a comfortable (8 lb) trigger pull is the BERSA Thunder CC.

Add Kahr P380 (8# trigger pull.) Nice piece. Very expensive though, at this price ($500+) you can get a nice, and effective, pocket 9MM.

I carry a Bersa 380 all the time and have put about 700 rounds with no problem. I have also shot about a 100 through a Sig P238 and I'm saving for it!

I got my LCP a about 3 months ago and have put over 400 rounds through it. The only problems I have had with it is chambering the first round when loaded with Speer GDHP. I haven't found the LCP all that bad to shoot, though I am not yet as accurate with as I am with my Springfield XD9. I have fired a KelTec and IO Hellcat which are both very similar to the LCP, but I found BOTH much less pleasant to fire due primarily to the different shape of the trigger guard ...I quickly got a blister on my trigger finger firing them where that does not happen with the LCP. I primarily carry the LCP with JHP ammo because it is easy to conceal even in shorts and t-shirt. The challenge will be accurate shot placement, though I am getting better with it.

I am probably going to buy a Ruger LC9 for a little more stopping power when I am wearing clothing that will conceal it ...my thought is that I would be able to easily go back and forth from the LCP to the LCP depending on clothing without having to think much about which gun it is ...trigger pull, etc would be very similar. When going back and forth between the LCP and the XD9 at the range, I find the XD trigger far too easy to pull after handling the LCP, and fear that could be a problem if I am switching between the LCP and XD as carry weapons.

I carry a TCP .380, using Speer Gold Dot loads. I suggest four big things to help it go boom every time...

1. Fire it as often as possible. Running around 100-200 rounds through each time.(what you can afford)

2. Polish the ramp with a Drimmel(spelling?) tool, decreasing the steep ramp as much as possible without taking too much off so as the round won't load.(use common sense)

3. Clean the gun completely after every use, further than just field stripping.

4. Lube the gun often... this doesn't mean A LOT of lube... just often.

I have found doing these things will maintain and improve your guns reliability.

I shot around 50 rounds each the last 2 times I went to the range with my p3at. For the smallest gun I have, it does have the most recoil, but that's why practice is so important. I have noticed that my thumb sometimes accidentially bumps the mag release, which has been the recent focus of my p3at practice. My pinky is usually under the mag, so it's not like my mag drops to the ground.

Recoil can be your friend, you just have to invest the practice time to make it happen!

Have parked my 45s for a 232 Sig in 380 and sometimes a Mak. Got tired of lugging those monsters around. Getting soft in my old age I guess. I call 380s mini 45s as they travel slow also. Have given up 100 grains of lead but there is still plenty there to do the job.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back