Plating advice

I am looking for some advice on nickel plating. I was given a S&W .32 long hand ejector by my grandfather a while ago and it is in very good condition except where some of the original nickel plating is peeling off around the muzzle end of the barrell. As I understand, He kept this little revolver in his tackel box as his "Muskie gun". Apparently he intended to take the fight out of the fish before he landed it in the boat. Anyways, this is probably why the nickel is coming off a little - due to poor storage conditions. I found a company online and according to the price sheet it should cost just under $200 for the stripping and plating (electroless nickel) and shipping. The advice I'm looking for is: should I trust a company like this and ship them my firearm? Here is the link and after looking at many others I decided that this one looked the best according to my needs Link Removed . Also, what to do with the hammer and trigger as these were not originally nickel plated and the original finish looks very aged.
Or, Should I try to find a local plater? Does anyone else know of a plater? I would like to keep the buget at or below $200. I'm in S.E. Wisconsin.
Also, my intent is to carry this on occasions. I'm not really interested in any collector value as these are not rare firearms.
Thanks for any advice on this. Good day all!

I would contact S&W directly and inquire about their specialty services which include plating (1.413.781.8300). My father had his S&W Model 10 plated at the factory several years ago.

I agree with Ken plating is something that needs to be done completely right one small mistake and it will be ruined.

Anyone can plate metal. Only those who specialize in plating firearms can plate them to take into consideration tolerances for moving parts. As suggested above, I would contact S&W and see what they can do for you.

Thanks for the advice. I will contact S&W to get a quote. I really wanted to keep this under $200 so I will see what their pricing is and make a decision. I'm still considering the online place I found due to them specializing in firearms but the point about thickness of plating to allow for proper function is well received and I agree.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back