Pistol Grip 12 ga Shotgun

joenap101

I am considering buying a pistol grip shotgun. Any feedback in regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Personally don't like pistol grip long guns with low sight lines, such as shotguns or flat top ARs, they always seem very awkward to me. ARs with the high carry handle sights are ok, but I've never seen a shotgun with a similar high sight line. Pistol grips with low sight lines just don't work for me. Then there's the issue that shotguns with pistol grips just look really goofy to me, but your opinion is the one that matters for your shotgun.

I purchased a Remington 870 and put a Knox adjustable stock on it which comes with a pistol grip. I mainly wanted the recoil reduction and not necessarily the pistol grip. After shooting with it it felt fine and I had no complaints about it. I would avoid a pistol grip only shotgun because then you have a lot of energy coming back in your direction and no stock to help spread out and control the energy. I have heard muzzle flip can be pretty rough on a shotgun with only a pistol grip.

Years ago a friend had a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip.

It was without a doubt the most unpleasant and downright painful firearm I've ever fired.

I'd rather fire a fifty round box of 240gr. Winchester White Box magnums out of my 4" S&W 29-2 than a magazine full of 2 3/4" double ought from that Mossberg.

If your going to do that, you may find it easier on yourself if you also get a front grip to hold onto it to keep it from rising up on ya.

This is the one I have on mine.

Link Removed

Link Removed

I have a tactical 12 gauge with a folding stock and pistol grip. I enjoy shooting it and it makes a great home defense gun, especially in a condo apartment which is here I live.

I cannot recommend a pistol-grip-only 12 ga. pump shotgun. First, without a sling around your neck, they are woefully awkward and difficult to shoot accurately. Contrary to popular thought, shotguns do not spray lead in large clouds. Hitting a close target requires some degree of aiming. Hip-shooting doesn't cut it. Secondly, the recoil is ferocious. And, lastly, accurate follow-up shots are almost impossible. Many years ago a fellow officer was running away from an oncoming farm truck and, although he got off 3 rounds, he didn't touch the truck. Hipshooting under pressure is difficult under pressure, even if your intended target is a huge farm truck...

About the only circumstances I would recommend a pistol-grip-only shotgun was if handguns were prohibited by law and space requirements did not allow a stocked weapon. At best it is a compromise to a compromise...

I would agree that a pistol-grip only shotgun is not worth the trouble. A buddy of mine had one for a while and it made a great club but other than that it was about the most useless thing in the world. That being said, I much prefer a pistol-grip on a stocked shotgun for HD than just a traditional straight stock. Gives me better maneuverability and control over the gun. I would also second Bob_M's suggestion of putting a foregrip on it, especially if you get an auto. I have one on my Mossberg 930 SPX and I can put all 9 rounds of 00 on target at 15 yds in about 5 seconds with it.

I would avoid a pistol grip only shotgun. I made sure I got both the pistol grip only stock, along with the regular stock, when I bought my Maverick 88. I was sure that would be what I needed for home defense! I guess I've watched too many movies. I tried the pistol grip only stock once. That was enough. Haven't reinstalled it since. My home defense shotgun instructor won't even let them on his range.

It's very possible to miss with a shotgun, so shooting without aiming means your shot is probably going someplace you don't want it to. Not a good thing, imo.

I've asked for a shorter stock, with a pistol grip, for Christmas. I hope that will be a good alternative to the regular stock, but have no experience with it right now.

I would suggest the ATI collapsible stock, Ive had mine on there almost a year, no issues with it, easy to instal, many other accessories you can add to it, and works great. Reduces the recoil on the shoulder. Link Removed

Consider a 20 gu. Much easier to handle and still plenty lethal. Another advantage is you have less worry about over penetration.

Consider a 20 gu. Much easier to handle and still plenty lethal. Another advantage is you have less worry about over penetration.
I am a 36year veteran of law enforcement service and have served as a le firearms instructor for almost 25 years. I have also taught civilian home defense since 1979. If you want a home defense shotgun, you cannot go wrong with a pistol grip, fixed stock 20 ga pump shotgun. It has less recoil than the 12 ga., but more than sufficient power to stop a determined attacker. The pistol grip fixed stock is far superior over the pistol-grip-only stock... If I lived in an apartment with neighbors on either side, I would stoke it with #6 birdshot. If not, I would use buckshot. If I lived in the country away from other houses, I might be tempted to use rifled slugs. And, if I had a choice, I would choose ghost ring sights, although a bead sight would be adequate....

Thanks for all the responses
The reason I ask about the shotgun is , I am a retired NYPD Sergeant who has seen several shooting. The thing that always concerned me about handguns is how perps aren't stopped right away. For home protection I wanted something with more punch

As with any firearm, it takes practice. I have one of those Mossberg 500 pistol grip 18 1/2 inch barrel 12 gauge and I like it. Sort and maneuverable in confined space. Yes, it takes practice to get used to it and firing from the hip, but it can be done. One warning, do not fire 3" magnums with it. Your wrist will not like that.

Thanks for all the responses
The reason I ask about the shotgun is , I am a retired NYPD Sergeant who has seen several shooting. The thing that always concerned me about handguns is how perps aren't stopped right away. For home protection I wanted something with more punch
your experiences are what a good many of the mall ninjas don't get, a shot from a handgun regardless of caliber is not going to hit the bad guy's stop button every time. in fact it is more than likely that if you do manage to hit an adversary with your shot that he will either be foolish enough to keep coming at you or wise enough to make a speedy retreat.
fwiw: my anecdotal story is of a friend who was also NYPD who back in the day put 6 .38's into a BG who despite being hit with 6 rounds still kept on coming at him.
the moral to the story is that the real world isn't the movies and there is rarely a one shot stop, be prepared to keep firing until the threat is neutralized

I was at a homicide scene where a man was shot 13 times (as per medical examiner) . Shots include back, chest, stomach and testicles. He still walked 100 yards until he fell. The shells found were .380.

I agree with Mitche. Although you can never go wrong if you can rent a shotgun at a range and test your options out that way. Hope that helps.

No Magic

I was at a homicide scene where a man was shot 13 times (as per medical examiner) . Shots include back, chest, stomach and testicles. He still walked 100 yards until he fell. The shells found were .380.

There is also a case of a man shot 5 times in the chest and torso with 12 ga. rifled slugs who walked to and got into the ambulance without assistance.... A .380 through the heart, spine or brain is preferable to a .308 through the hand... Of course, a .308 ear-to-ear through the brain is pretty definitive...

Last edited:
I have a pistol grip shotgun. It does have a bit more muzzle flip than a traditional stock, but I found that it was easier to carry hunting and much quicker to get the bead on the target. I don't see how muzzle flip would affect negatively because a slug (for my purpose) from a 12 ga will put down my target.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back