Photos taken on 7 December 1941, but not developed until 2009.

Seeya

Unable to post pictures at this time
Recieved in email

The photos are unbelievable...

Isn't is amazing how a film could last so long in a camera without disintegrating?

Fantastic photos taken 68 years ago. Some of you will have to go to a museum to see what a Brownie camera looked like?

Here is a simple picture of what we are talking about. . .

These photos are absolutely incredible...Read below the first picture and at the end...

PHOTOS STORED IN AN OLD BROWNIE CAMERA

Thought you might find these photos very interesting; what quality from 1941.
Pearl Harbor photos found in an old Brownie stored in a foot locker. and just recently
taken to be developed.

THESE PHOTOS ARE FROM A SAILOR WHO WAS ON THE USS QUAPAW ATF-11O.

I THINK THEY'RE SPECTACULAR!

PEARL HARBOR

December 7th, 1941

Pearl Harbor

On Sunday, December 7th, 1941 the Japanese launched a surprise attack against the U.S. Forces stationed at Pearl Harbor , Hawaii By planning this attack on a Sunday, the Japanese commander Admiral Nagumo, hoped to catch the entire fleet in port. As luck would have it, the Aircraft Carriers and one of the Battleships were not in port. (The USS Enterprise was returning from Wake Island , where it had just delivered some aircraft. The USS Lexington was ferrying aircraft to Midway, and the USS Saratoga and USS Colorado were undergoing repairs in the United States .)

In spite of the latest intelligence reports about the missing aircraft carriers (his most important targets), Admiral Nagumo decided to continue the attack with his force of six carriers and 423 aircraft. At a range of 230 miles north of Oahu , he launched the first wave of a two-wave attack. Beginning at 0600 hours his first wave consisted of 183 fighters and torpedo bombers which struck at the fleet in Pearl Harbor and the airfields in Hickam, Kaneohe and Ewa. The second strike, launched at 0715 hours, consisted of 167 aircraft, which again struck at the same targets.

At 0753 hours the first wave consisting of 40 Nakajima B5N2 'Kate' torpedo bombers, 51 Aichi D3A1 'Val' dive bombers, 50 high altitude bombers and 43 Zeros struck airfields and Pearl Harbor Within the next hour, the second wave arrived and continued the attack.
When it was over, the U.S. Losses were:

Casualties
US Army: 218 KIA, 364 WIA.
US Navy: 2,008 KIA, 710 WIA.
US MarineCorp: 109 KIA, 69 WIA.
Civilians: 68 KIA, 35 WIA.

TOTAL: 2,403 KIA, 1,178 WIA.
-------------------------------------------------

Battleships
USS Arizona (BB-39) - total loss when a bomb hit her magazine.
USS Oklahoma (BB-37) - Total loss when she capsized and sunk in the harbor.
USS California (BB-4 4) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS West Virginia (BB-48) - Sunk at her berth. Later raised and repaired.
USS Nevada - (BB-36) Beached to prevent sinking. Later repaired.
USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) - Light damage.
USS Maryland (BB-46) - Light damage.
USS Tennessee (BB-43) Light damage.
USS Utah (AG-16) - (former battleship used as a target) - Sunk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cruisers
USS New Orleans (CA-32) - Light Damage..
USS San Francisco (CA-38) - Light Damage.
USS Detroit (CL-8) - Light Damage.
USS Raleigh (CL-7) - Heavily damaged but repaired.
USS Helena (CL-50) - Light Damage.
USS Honolulu (CL-48) - Light Damage..
-------------------------- -- ---------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------
Destroyers
USS Downes (DD-375) - Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Cassin - (DD -3 7 2) Destroyed. Parts salvaged.
USS Shaw (DD-373) - Very heavy damage.
USS Helm (DD-388) - Light Damage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minelayer
USS Ogala (CM-4) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seaplane Tender
USS Curtiss (AV-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Repair Ship
USS Vestal (AR-4) - Severely damaged but later repaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harbor Tug
USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) - Sunk but later raised and repaired.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aircraft
188 Aircraft destroyed (92 USN and 92 U.S. Army Air Corps.)

Share this with your Loved ones of ALL ages...Elderly will

remember, Young will be Awed.

Oops sorry...

Outline
Email claims that a series of old photographs depicting the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 were found in a Kodak Box Brownie camera stored in a foot locker.

Brief Analysis
These photographs are genuine and do show the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. However, they were not found stored in a Kodak Box brownie camera nor were they taken by a sailor on the USS QUAPAW. In fact, the images are US Naval archive photographs taken by different people at various locations around Pearl Harbour at the time of the attack. The photographs form part of the historical image collection available on the Naval Historical Center website.

(From Hoax-slayer)

Thanks for fixing it and getting the truth out.

Truth? Really? They are great pictures, but not what your article avers that they are.

Pearl Harbor Pics Found in Old Brownie Camera? - Urban Legends

Photos Stored in Camera for 68 Years

snopes.com: Pearl Harbor Photographs

There are three sites dispelling the myth that they were recently developed from an old Kodak Brownie camera.

Great and amazing pictures, but from many sailors who were there at the time, not from a long lost camera, recently found.

I have some pictures my dad(US Army) brought back from Japan after the bomb was dropped. It is of Hiroshima. They are the old brown and white pictures of the era. Hiroshima, which was a major city, looks like a landfill site.

I have some pictures my dad(US Army) brought back from Japan after the bomb was dropped. It is of Hiroshima. They are the old brown and white pictures of the era. Hiroshima, which was a major city, looks like a landfill site.

I'm in my mid 40's and I have read many of the debates, about whether we should have dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, throughout the last three decades. You can imagine my surprise when I just found out within the last month that before those two cities, the USofA pretty much leveled Tokyo with conventional bombs. In March of 1945, in one day we killed more civilians with conventional warfare in Tokyo then we did in either of the other cities, yet no one ever hears much about it, if at all. I never learned this in high school, nor college. I didn't come across it in any WWII documentary on TV or any of the books on WWII that I have studied.

A friend showed me this:
Firebombing of Tokyo ? History.com This Day in History ? 3/9/1945

This changes the debate about Hiroshima and Nagasaki quite a bit. By this point in the war it was common place to bomb major cities. We had just leveled Berlin. We had just leveled Tokyo and the Japanese were still fighting fiercely. But we hear only of the debates concerning the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I'm not giving my stance on whether any of the bombings is right or not. This I will leave to your own personal judgments and beliefs. However, this is definitely information that should have been used within the debates on whether we should or should not have used nukes on those two cities.

Just food for thought is all.

The victors write the history books...

wolf-fire said:
. You can imagine my surprise when I just found out within the last month that before those two cities, the USofA pretty much leveled Tokyo with conventional bombs. In March of 1945, in one day we killed more civilians with conventional warfare in Tokyo then we did in either of the other cities, yet no one ever hears much about it, if at all. ... This changes the debate about Hiroshima and Nagasaki quite a bit. By this point in the war it was common place to bomb major cities. We had just leveled Berlin.

Yes, probably wrong forum for this... but "history" is never only "what they taught you in school." Here's Tokyo ("Tokyo after the massive firebombing attack on the night of March 9–10, 1945, the single most destructive raid in military aviation history.)" (Wikipedia). And realize -- this was WITHOUT a atom bomb!
Link Removed

And you'll hear even less about the fact that it was THE ALLIES who starting bombing civilians, destroying cities without military targets, intending to create -- and succeeding at creating -- massive destruction and the deaths of hundreds of thousands, of civilians. The "eeeevil Germans" did NOT start bombing Britain because they were ... you know ... eeevil! They were retaliating for the *Allies* (mainly Britain, with our help) intentionally killing civilians ("terror bombing"). Before the *Allies* (mainly Britain, with our help) began intentionally bombing civilians, it was considered below a military man's dignity to kill civilians! (This was Dresden:)

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

"Last night, 800 RAF Bomber Command planes let loose 650,000 incendiaries and 8,000lb of high explosives and hundreds of 4,000lb bombs in two waves of attack. They faced very little anti-aircraft fire.
As soon as on [sic] part of the city was alight, the bombers went for another until the whole of Dresden was ablaze. "
...This was followed by another attack in daylight by 311 US heavy bombers.
...Altogether 2,600 tons of high explosive and incendiary bombs were dropped creating a huge firestorm that destroyed Dresden.
With the city's population swollen from refugees fleeing the Soviet advance from the east, the death toll from fire and suffocation is unknown, but probably lies between 25,000 and 100,000.
--http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/14/newsid_3549000/3549905.stm

The difference between Dresden and Tokyo is amazing. Most of Tokyo was built of wood, bamboo and rice paper(used for walls in residences). Of course Dresden was built of stone. The skeletons of the German building make it look a lot more eerie and destructive. The Japanese streets look as if they had all been swept clean. Sometimes you don't get the full perspective on the destruction until you compare photos like these.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back