Philadelphia gun laws .

Joepev

If u have utah out of state permint can u carry in philly ???.The city wanted to pass no carry but not sure .i have family that lives there .need sum help plzz .

short answer: yes.

PA law doesn't distinguish between a PA LTCF and a non-resident permit; you just have to have a permit to carry in Philadelphia.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

So, if you have a valid UT permit, and since PA and UT recognize each other's permits, you may carry in Philadelphia in accordance with PA laws.

Philadelphia

I live in New Jersey and was told NOT to carry in the city proper. They have their own laws pertaining to the city, like New York City. When I had my NY carry permit,I COULD NOT carry in the city.but could carry any place else.

I would check on that.. Philadelphia has their own permit like NYC..The rest of Pa is good to go.

Philadelphia does NOT have their own permit. Reciprocal agreements are between the State of PA and the other state. PHilly had no say in the matter whats so ever.

I think no matter what il carry cause my permint says i can .but im pritty. sure if i do get stoped its gonna be bad .

What pisses me off is there crime rate .but what makes me up set is i like to go there an eat .great food an if ya call the state an ask them well good luck with that .ohhh well .i would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6 .

PA has preemption laws that prohibit cities from making there own laws. Only the state can regulate weapons.

I would check on that.. Philadelphia has their own permit like NYC..The rest of Pa is good to go.

Philly does NOT have its own permit. I know - I live there. What you may be thinking of is the part of state law that creates special conditions for a "city of the first class." But anywhere in PA, to carry concealed ALWAYS requires an in-state license or an out-of-state permit; open carry is legal except where it's forbidden, and that "first class" clause means that in Philly you have to have the same in-state license or out-of-state permit to carry openly, same as concealed. But Philly does NOT have a separate permit.

PA has preemption laws that prohibit cities from making there own laws. Only the state can regulate weapons.
Absolutely correct. Philly has been trying to enact their own laws, and have attempted to ban open carry as well. I believe the city of PHL has been sued over this and lost. Anyway, PA has 100% preemption and no city or town can override the state laws.

Philadelphia does NOT have their own permit. Reciprocal agreements are between the State of PA and the other state. Philly had no say in the matter whatsoever.

Yes! That is the correct answer. (There's some really ambiguous or flat-out incorrect advice in this thread.)

Link Removed

NOTE TO OP: Be careful with an out-of-state carry permit that's issued from a state where you are NOT a resident. Certain states do NOT recognize a permit from another state where you are NOT, also, a resident.

Pennsylvania - and, therefore, Philadelphia - does NOT have an identical residency requirement; so, in Pennsylvania, you're good-to-go. Philadelphia is categorized by the Federal Government as a, 'city of the first class'. This means that, regardless of residency, if you do NOT have a permit from either Pennsylvania, itself, or from another state that shares LTCF reciprocity with Pennsylvania, then you are NOT allowed to carry concealed and - especially, NOT to carry openly - inside Philadelphia's borders.

(Anywhere else in Pennsylvania, and with or without an LTCF, a legal gun owner is allowed to open carry, BUT, not inside Philadelphia.)

The usual federal and state exceptions to where you cannot carry continue to apply inside Philadelphia: No post offices or other federal office buildings, no state courthouses, (city hall in Philly) no public schools, and be careful inside national parks. There are signs posted at the entrance doors to several of Philadelphia's landmark historic buildings which forbid concealed carry on the premises.

Link Removed

(The above information is free internet advice; and it, therefore, should be treated that way!) ;)

Were lucky that PA accepts just about every other states permits. Tough about livin in Jersey tho. I live in PA right on the border and its like a different country there. Id be afraid just to transport an unloaded firearm there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back