People who don't understand guns but are in control

alternety

Appeals Court Reinstates Lawsuit Against Glock | News | Manufacturing.net

First a judge and eventually a jury who don't seem (or probably won't) understand all hand guns don't have a grip safety nor should they. Or even any manual safety (e.g., DAO). Nor do they recognize the actual failure is completely the fault of the retired cop for failing to control his loaded gun (and with children present). Responsibility was probably assigned incorrectly in the initial incident since the guy is retired, not in jail and suing, appealing, and now suing again. A recent case in Washington correctly criminally charged the cop who left a loaded gun in the car with his children when he left on an errand. One of his kids shot another one.

Same newsletter; non-gun related, but somewhat similar thinking.

We (the general population, especially lawyers) in the US continue to believe the idea that there should be no risk in our environment, nothing can be sold that just might possibly hurt a few people because of misuse, or be diverted to some bad purpose (e.g., a myriad of useful chemicals, decongestant). There are good and sufficient reasons in some cases, and in others; not so much. An unknowable, injury causing, manufacturing fault should be eliminated. And, if something bad happens it is always someone elses fault (e.g., family suing home owner et al for killing the families burglar spawn). Preferably a rich person or corporation, but not always. I suspect this action on magnets was a vote by mass media and someone who was was on a personal crusade "making sure this will never happen to anyone else". We make a lot of our laws this way. Yet we don't have the death penalty for drunk drivers killing a bus load of people. End rant.

California is the same state that shutdown a pistol manufacturer because their gun could be fired with the magazine removed.

We (the general population, especially lawyers) in the US continue to believe the idea that there should be no risk in our environment, nothing can be sold that just might possibly hurt a few people because of misuse, or be diverted to some bad purpose (e.g., a myriad of useful chemicals, decongestant).

But but but what ever happened to the land of the free?

"...conclude that a grip safety strong enough to withstand a child's grasp would minimize the risk of accidental discharge."

Wow, that would be one strong grip safety. That would probably make the gun less safe, as it would be difficult for the average user to adequately grip the gun.

What a bunch of male bovine fecal material.

Doesn't sound to me to have been an accidental discharge. Sounds like the gun operated properly. Maybe the police officer should have kept it out of his 3 year olds hands.

Glocks are crap for lots of reasons.

REALLY? Hmmmm, over 50,000 rounds through all of mine and still never had a malfunction. Course I'm not dumb enough to leave my loaded weapon in a vehicle with a 3 year old, but that's just me.

I also have 3 different manufacturers pistols, and none of them have a grip safety, and 2 of them do not have a traditional safety at all, so I supposed Cali is going to go after all of these companies too? Maybe we should just STOP selling guns and ammo to Cali until they change their laws.

This is nothing more than blaming someone else for your stupidity.

good idea, lets stop selling guns to california and make thier cops use clubs to enforce the law. i do believe that there are riots in ca. about the cops shooting gang members. isn't that what the liberals want? betcha the politicians will have guns or hired guns while thier legislation keeps the masses saved from the evil of guns. just eliminate them all and lets see how that works out. just make sure the politicians don't have access to weapons either.

Here we go with safety or no safety... It is no big deal to flip off a manual safety as you draw a gun. People keep making it seem like a gun is much better without a safety. "I can just draw and shoot" but if you trained flipping off a safety as you draw it would be no problem. I have a gun I carry with one in the chamber and no safety because the heavy trigger pull is a safety, and I also have a gun I carry which has one in the chamber with a manual safety which is on.

I would bet money if you timed me drawing with both that there would not be more than a couple tenths of a second difference.

:neo:

Glocks are crap for lots of reasons.
As a certified Glock armorer I say absolutely incorrect. Extremely reliable and durable. When you pull a trigger in self defense, the loudest sound in the world is "click."

I should be on that jury. I believe in jury nulliication. Commiefornia at it again.

Here we go with safety or no safety... It is no big deal to flip off a manual safety as you draw a gun. People keep making it seem like a gun is much better without a safety. "I can just draw and shoot" but if you trained flipping off a safety as you draw it would be no problem. I have a gun I carry with one in the chamber and no safety because the heavy trigger pull is a safety, and I also have a gun I carry which has one in the chamber with a manual safety which is on.

I would bet money if you timed me drawing with both that there would not be more than a couple tenths of a second difference.

Totally agree. I have handguns with safety and without, feel just as safe and have the same proficiency with both. It is just a matter of preference, not a right or wrong.

When looking for a carry weapon, I initially had a manual safety on the list of required features. Researching the issue, and thinking through the process, removed it from my list.

In a properly designed holster, a DAO action (maybe without DAO, but I am not convinced on that), and an automatic method of blocking the firing pin to prevent accidental discharges when dropped, I have removed that criteria from my requirements. My carry weapon is a Boberg XR9-S. It meets those criteria while providing more muzzle energy than similar pocket guns, more accuracy, 9 mm +P+ rated, way less recoil than similar guns, very good manufacturing tolerances, and an active relationship between the designer/owner and the purchasers.

My other carry is a Browning HP. Cocked and locked with manual safety. That also works.

Here we go again....someone thinking others care what they think. Good for you...I prefer no external safety.

The San Francisco Chronicle (Judge allows paralyzed dad to sue Glock - SFGate ) says the 2nd District Court of Appeals on Tuesday reinstated the suit, saying a jury could conclude that a grip safety strong enough to withstand a child's grasp would minimize the risk of accidental discharge.

If I was on the jury I believe making sure that keeping said grip out of a child's grasp would achieve the same goal!

The San Francisco Chronicle (Judge allows paralyzed dad to sue Glock - SFGate ) says the 2nd District Court of Appeals on Tuesday reinstated the suit, saying a jury could conclude that a grip safety strong enough to withstand a child's grasp would minimize the risk of accidental discharge.

If I was on the jury I believe making sure that keeping said grip out of a child's grasp would achieve the same goal!
Next thing you know, Glock would get sued because the gun didn't go off when it was needed by some adult who didn't have enough grip strength.

The safety on striker fired weapons is internal. Don't pull the trigger and nothing happens. Revolvers don't have external safeties, nobody is complaining about them. Too bad we have such a poor education system. People don't appear to know how to use the grey matter between their ears. Too easy to say someone else is at fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back