Pentagon holds off letting Vets know medical coverage will be reduced

sdprof

Veterans in select areas of the country may soon be hit with a reduction in health care coverage, a proposal that has sparked outcry from lawmakers representing affected regions.

It looks like the announcement of the controversial move to discontinue TRICARE Prime for military members and their families in certain states, though, will wait until after Election Day.

As first reported by Military Times, starting April 1 TRICARE Prime services would be offered only to those living within 40 miles of a Military Treatment Facility as a result of the incoming contractor, United Healthcare, not planning on covering the services.

This would affect as many as 30,000 veterans and their families in Nevada, Oregon, Iowa, Minnesota, and Missouri. While those outside of an acceptable distance from an MTF wouldn’t lose coverage, they would be reduced to the standard plan that carries higher out-of-pocket costs.

Rest of article at: The PJ Tatler » Pentagon Waits to Tell Vets They May Lose Prime Health Coverage » Print

So the contractor taking over from TriWest won't be doing as good a job as TW did, and they bloody well knew so going in. What a crock.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this headline is VERY misleading. It says that "Vets" may have health care reduced and is regarding TRICARE benefits.

There are several million veterans who may be unnecessarily upset by reading such misleading headlines.

It is my understanding that TRICARE provides medical care for active duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members, retirees, their families, survivors and certain former spouses.

As a disabled Vietnam Vet, The Department of Veteran Affairs provides my medical care and I have nothing to do with TRICARE and I believe that this is the case with most veterans with service-connected disabilities.

Am I mistaken?

How about congress give up their health coverage and turn it over to our vets, who are certainly more deserving. Congress is a temp job and should not receive full time career benefits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back