Pawn Shop Auction Cross State Line

Rhonlynn

I have been invited to go to a pawn shop auction. The pawn shop is located in Kansas City, Mo. The auction is in Bonner Springs, Ks. Besides Coach handbags, they have small handguns as well as larger hand guns. They have rings, everything. If I were to buy a small handgun, do I take it home that night, or does it go through a FFL dealer into Missouri? Thanks so much!

I would ask the people at the pawn shop who are holding the auction. As far as I know you can buy a gun in one state and take it to another as long as you obey both states' laws on buying and transporting the gun. Every state is different - in some you have to wait a few days to take the gun you bought out the door with you, in others you can buy a gun and take it home right after you pay for it.

I would expect the best thing is to take delivery from the store in MO. Presumably, the pawn dealer is an FFL, so he'll have to do a 4473 and NICS check for the transaction.

indyy - I think you're thinking of long gun purchases. Handgun transactions must occur in your state of residence.

I would expect the best thing is to take delivery from the store in MO. Presumably, the pawn dealer is an FFL, so he'll have to do a 4473 and NICS check for the transaction.

indyy - I think you're thinking of long gun purchases. Handgun transactions must occur in your state of residence.

The actual transfer of the gun must take place in your state of residence except for when carrying out last will and testaments.

18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3) are the Federal laws governing state of residence requirements for firearms transfers. In summary, with the exception of inheritance transfers (when someone dies):

1. Firearms transfers between private parties with no FFL (Federal Firearms License) involvement can only legally happen between two persons who reside in the same state, long gun or hand gun.
2. An FFL (which the pawn shop should hold) can transfer a rifle or a shotgun to a resident of any state so long as the state laws of both the FFL and the person receiving the long gun are followed.
3. An FFL can transfer a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun only to a resident of their own state.

If you purchase a firearm from a private party that does not reside in the same state as you, the firearm must be transferred through an FFL, and if the firearm is other than a rifle or shotgun, that FFL must be in your own state of residence.
If you purchase a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in a state other than your own state of residence, they must transfer the firearm to an FFL in your own state of residence for transfer to you.

Individual state laws may be more restrictive, those are only the Federal requirements.

I have pretty much decided to save a little and get the Sigsauer p238 new, locally...but I want to rent one at the range first. But eventually I will shop in the gun shop enough. I will ask about the F F L.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back