Passenger In Car

bdlove

I have seen it on here before i beleive but cant find it. How should this situation be handled?

I am a passenger in a vehicle that gets pulled over by the police. I have a valid CWP and carrying. Do I just sit there and say nothing or am I supposed to say something to the officer?

This depends on what state you are in. If you are in a state that requires disclosure to the LEO, then my understanding is that even a passenger who is carrying is required to inform the officer.

I am fortunate that I live in a state that does not require disclosure. I am still on the fence as to weather or not I will disclose my weapons if I get stopped. (I haven't gotten a ticket since I was 16 yrs old and I'm pushing pretty hard at 50 now) I have been asking some of the LEOs that I interact with thru my business, how they feel about it, and they are about evenly split as to weather they prefer notification or not. They don't like surprises, but if you stay cool and pass the attitude test, then just follow the law.
Fondis:pleasantry:

Section K of your administrative code seems to answer the question:

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

Section K of your administrative code seems to answer the question:

Dont know if this quote was for SC or not.... for other states, it depends. Some don't require, some require, some require during an "offical contact". I would say as a passenger you don't qualify for the "official contact" piece unless you are also violating a law, no seat belt, littering, etc.

I have only disclosed once of the three times I have been a passenger during a stop (maybe I need slower friends :laugh:) and that was because the trooper made contact from the passenger window where I was sitting and I didn't want any surprises.

My 2 cents worth

Yes, it's from the SC administrative code.

Thanks Mudinyeri! Wouldn't it be nice if we just had one set of rules to follow??? I have a CWP/CCW from four different states and I need to have the rules tatted on the inside of my eyelids just to keep them straight :laugh:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back