+p ammo less velocity

bikridr

How do some +p loads have less velocity and energy than standard loads?if my gun is rated for 1250 fps does it matter if it is +p or not as long as it is below 1250 fps? New 9mm

How do some +p loads have less velocity and energy than standard loads?if my gun is rated for 1250 fps does it matter if it is +p or not as long as it is below 1250 fps? New 9mm

There is no SAAMI standard for "+P" or "+P+" ammunition. The meaning varies between ammunition manufacturers.

Velocity and energy don't matter really, for safety. You need to be concerned with the pressure generated in the barrel behind the bullet. It's pressure that splits or shatters barrels. (There might be a way to calculate that with velocity / energy / bullet weight as knowns, but I doubt it's simple, and I don't really know it.)

Consult the owner's manual of your firearm before using +P or +P+ ammo. If the owner's manual is not clear, or you are unsure of the ammo you want to use - it's worth a call to the firearm manufacturer. Most of them are eager to help.

Are these +P loads 115 gr, 124 gr, 147 gr?
If your comparing a 115 gr FJM to a 147 gr JHP +P load your going to see a difference in velocity.
As to firing +P if your gun is not rated. The thing that matters most is the pressures, not the velocity. If your using a modern gun I wouldn't be too worried about it but you could be taking a chance.
Best thing you could do is take it to a good gunsmith & have him check it.

I was considering golden saber +p 124 grain and I noticed the velocity was less than the ranger and hst ammo.I know there is a lot of debate about short barrels and +p ammo but I thought the +p would help a little and I found a good deal on golden saber.

There is no SAAMI standard for "+P" or "+P+" ammunition. The meaning varies between ammunition manufacturers.
In the cases of 38Special, 9mm Luger, 38SuperAutomatic, and 45Auto (and perhaps others), SAAMI recognizes and documents the +P loadings. See Link Removed for the specifics.

the .380 ... no SAAMI at this time. The folks selling it created their own. From what I've seen, the gun manufacturers don't like it. OOTH, I believe you'll find that many 38 special revolvers and 9mm pistols are specifically approved for +P.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back