Overreaction by church security or correct diligence?

Reba

Sinner saved by grace
Was the arrest of this man correct or was he within his rights (within TN law)? If he didn't have a 300 Blackout rifle in his backpack would that make a difference? Was this guy just exercising his 2nd Amendment rights in a dangerous world or is he mentally ill? How would you know?

Man armed with rifle and gun arrested at Bellevue Baptist Church Easter service | WREG.com

Man brings handgun, assault rifle into church - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

This story hits close to home for me. One of our church members has family members at the TN church, and since we live outside Charleston, SC, the recent shooting and killing of nine church members there is still a painful memory. Hubby is a member of our church security team. So, I'm curious about different viewpoints on this issue.

All depends, if they didn't want the guy there, did they ask him to leave? If they asked him to leave and he refused, then they did the right thing.

In TN, the Handgun Carry Permit is exactly what it's name says. It is not a Rifle Carry Permit. If the rifle was loaded or if he had loaded rifle magazines on him, then he committed a crime. Also, to my knowledge, this church is anti-gun and may very well be posted. If it is posted, then he committed a crime.

All depends, if they didn't want the guy there, did they ask him to leave? If they asked him to leave and he refused, then they did the right thing.
I wish there were more details. It didn't say anything about how or why he was confronted in the first place, or what his behavior was.

I wish there were more details. It didn't say anything about how or why he was confronted in the first place, or what his behavior was.

In the in the very first sentences of the news article you posted, it says how and why he was confronted in the first place and what his behavior was:

Police said security saw a male in the church who was armed.

A church security guard took the man into custody without incident.

Police say, Marcus Donald, 31, had loaded 40 caliber Beretta in a pants pocket.

Donald also had a 300 Blackout rifle in his backpack.

Police said Donald told them "people in society are a threat to him and that he must be vigilant."

He was arrested for emergency commitment for a mental evaluation.

It does not appear Donald made any threats toward the church or its congregation.

In the in the very first sentences of the news article you posted, it says how and why he was confronted in the first place and what his behavior was:
Police said security saw a male in the church who was armed.
But how did they know he was armed? The handgun was in his pocket and the rifle was in a backpack. That's what they don't explain.

Police said Donald told them "people in society are a threat to him and that he must be vigilant."

He was arrested for emergency commitment for a mental evaluation.

It does not appear Donald made any threats toward the church or its congregation.
That doesn't describe Donald's demeanor when he spoke. Did he behave or look crazy? Honestly, the words he spoke are similar to ones you can see at this forum any time and no one says they're crazy.

I no longer attend church, but if I did, I would want to associate with like minded people.

Didn't Jesus advise his disciples to own swords?

Was at a local church conference the other night. It is a yearly event to elect board members and trustees. One of our members id a police detective and had come there from his work and in a suit. Later he took off his jacket and walked across the room with his pistol on his hip. We live in a open carry and concealed carry with a permit state. Nobody really said anything about this and I know they all don't know he is a police officer. What the crowd of about a hundred didn't know is, there were at least 3 others of us carrying concealed. I know of at least 5 church members that carry there and everywhere else. I never hear about anyone getting excited about someone with a holstered gun where I live.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back