Oregon Non-Resident Compelling Reason

Neocold

Hello everyone,

I have been searching and can only find old threads that do not mention the "compelling reason" clause and mention counties that no longer process non-resident applications.

I live in California and travel to Oregon at least once a year with my wife to visit her family. I have my Utah permit, and waiting for my Arizona permit and my California permit is going through the DOJ and should be ready for pickup in May.

I will be in Oregon in August and traveling on I5 which means based on current Sheriff website info my only option is Jefferson county.

Apparently they now require pre-approval and that includes an approved "compelling reason" for being issued the Oregon non-resident CHL. Has anyone found one that works? Here is an excerpt from their non-resident flyer:
=======================
Recent examples of specific compelling reasons were:
1- Campground hosts who carried large amounts of cash money around from space fees at different
campgrounds in remote areas.
2- An out-of-state ICE officer who periodically works in Jackson County and encounters former
clients he’s sanctioned previously.
3- Ranchers in an adjacent California county who run cattle on both sides of the border and have run
across occupied marijuana grows and encountered bears/cougars at times.
4- A construction foreman who visits job sites at night for security purposes and has spooked would
be thieves/burglars.
Examples of declined reasons:
1- Just wanting one or just because a person has one in multiple other states.
2- I have one in a bordering state and don’t want to stop at the border to put my weapons in the trunk.
3- I camp, explore and visit the area often.
4- I come up once or twice a month to shop at Costco and/or visit the doctor
The above declined reasons didn’t overcome the fact that a person can still open carry under any of those
circumstances and still have their firearm with them.
=======================

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Link Removed

Since Donald Trump has been elected President you never know when or where you might need to protect yourself from crazed liberal protestors?

Hehe. Ya. My thought process is along those lines but I'm fairly sure they won't accept that :/

The above declined reasons didn’t overcome the fact that a person can still open carry under any of those
circumstances and still have their firearm with them.

Open carry...

... or, do you plan to visit Portland? If not, you should, or at least mention that you do in your application. Portland has the City Ordinance 14A.60.010, which prohibits anyone without a license to carry a concealed handgun: to possess or carry a loaded firearm or an empty firearm with a loaded magazine upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place. This may be your compelling reason.

Bofh, excellent info. My wife's brother lives in Portland so yes we do visit there.

Open carry is not appealing to me because of the unwanted attention it draws. Not sure why they would prefer that over a background checked concealed license.

Try Washington County Sheriff Office, the only one in Orefornia I think may work for you. Don't hold your breath, tho.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

All I can tell you is that Oregon like California does not honor the Utah CFP. But you probably already knew that. And it was not your question. But that's all I can tell you.

Try Washington County Sheriff Office, the only one in Orefornia I think may work for you. Don't hold your breath, tho.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Nice hat! Obviously a play on all the G/I Joe and Sailor Sam and Sky Pilot hats that say essentially been-there-done-that.

I myself wear a plain boonie hat in khaki which keeps the sun out of my eyes, the rain off my face, the bugs out of my hair, and does not say where I've been or what I've done.

I like boonie hats because they protect your head and face better. And 10 gallon Western hats are way too big.

I hope the O/P wears a hat too. Everyone needs a hat, especially anyone armed.

Hehe. I do wear a dodge truck baseball cap.

The only help my Utah permit will be is proof that I completed training that is sufficient for the Oregon permit. It also gets me into Nevada along with the redundant Arizona permit. This is important to me because I live an hour from South Lake Tahoe.

The Washington county websites CHL page is not working. Ill have to look into them. It seems a lot has changed with Oregon's non-resident permitting in the last year or two. Much harder now.

Hehe. I do wear a dodge truck baseball cap.

The only help my Utah permit will be is proof that I completed training that is sufficient for the Oregon permit. It also gets me into Nevada along with the redundant Arizona permit. This is important to me because I live an hour from South Lake Tahoe.

The Washington county websites CHL page is not working. Ill have to look into them. It seems a lot has changed with Oregon's non-resident permitting in the last year or two. Much harder now.

Baseball caps are the most popular hat in America. I am guessing this is because of the popularity of baseball.

Even the USN and USAF have gone to baseball caps now as well, to go with their BDU's.

I like a boonie hat infinitely better because the brim is all around not just in the front, and it has a chin strap for when the wind is really brisk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back