Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

I only have two complaints about the gun. The first round, unless you really pull the slide all the way back and completely let go, does not chamber without assistance.

That is typical of a small automatic ("mouse gun"). My LCP does the same thing. It may loosen up over time (my Kahr has a little bit) but my advice would be to A) carry it chambered in a good holster and B) when you load it up, do it from a closed slide. This will build "muscle memory" so that under stress, if you have to do this you will be more likely to get it right. I've been doing this with my PM9 and now I get it right 99% of the time.

LT, how else would you normally load the first round? Maybe everything will loosen up a bit after a few rounds.

That is typical of a small automatic ("mouse gun"). My LCP does the same thing. It may loosen up over time (my Kahr has a little bit) but my advice would be to A) carry it chambered in a good holster and B) when you load it up, do it from a closed slide. This will build "muscle memory" so that under stress, if you have to do this you will be more likely to get it right. I've been doing this with my PM9 and now I get it right 99% of the time.

I don't have any problems with it, I can yank the slide back hard, fully bringing the slide back as far as it will possibly go and then completely letting go, so the full force of the recoil spring is used to chamber the round.

My wife and stepdaughter, though, have a hard time pulling the slide all the way back with enough force to fully compress the recoil spring and the round ends up butted against the feed ramp. A rap on the magazine or push on the slide gets it chambered.

I am sure it will loosen up over time, it's only the first round, and it doesn't mean there is anything really wrong with the gun.

I have had an LCP for a while now. It has been flawless for over 400 rounds. I added a CT laser and Pearce magazine extensions. The extensions make the little gun easier to control.
I just won a used TCP on Auctionarms for $168.00. I will be able to add more to this thread in a week or two. If the TCP doesn't work out it will be traded.

We all know what happens when you ask 10 guys about this or that gun, 10 differant opinions, personaly we have 2 738s and on LCP, the LCP is arguably the biggest POS I have ever owned, for various reasons

I have not owned an LCP but my TCP is one great gun. Its SS, easy to hide and the holster that comes with it looks like its a smart phone. Holds open on the last shot, and Taurus service has been great. I did not have to send it back but had some Aguila rounds split. I though it was the gun but found out its the ammo. I have ran several hundred rounds and no FTFs or FTEs. No 380 is not my first choice for protection, 45acp or 357 would be, but a 380 in hand is better than a 357 in my night stand because its too big to carry in summer. I also bought the 709 slim and love it. I did buy the Ruger SR9 and it was very accurate and felt good and I loved how it looked, but the cam block pin kept working out, and I don't mean a quarter of an inch. I mean it dropped out. I sent it back to Ruger and they just put a new pin in and it did the same thing. I sold it and bought a S&W M&P and its been the best 9 of the several I own. I love that gun. I am not too impressed with Ruger. I know many are in love with Ruger like some are with Harley Davidson, its not that its good its that the mystique around the company is what they buy into. I really don't care if the company is called toadsuck if they make a good product than that should be the standard.

My LCP is going on about 600 rounds now. It does have a ridiculously long trigger pull. I wouldn't have it any other way. Being my pocket or waistband carry (Kel-Tec Clip installed), I frequently move this gun to the console and then back to my body. I want absolutely no chance of a ND. It's a tiny, lightweight pistol and can move around in your hand. Long trigger means very little risk of ND.

- Easy to clean and maintain (holds up to me sweating due to Charleston heat and humidity)
- Tiny and light

Dislikes:
- Trigger is too thin. Would like a fatter one, but won't take a chance on adding a fat pad. KISS
- No slide lock after last shot
- Won't shoot certain defense rounds if they are long and hollow point (Corbon DPx 80 gn HP, which is not built to the .380 dimension spec). This ammo works for most who own the Taurus.

MY CORBON WRITEUP FROM CABELAS
Not reliable in LCP: non-standard dimensionsDate:February 26, 2010
Gave it four stars, because it may work fine in your pistol and I don't want to trash a good cartridge.
As others have said, it will NOT run reliably in an LCP. I measured these against PMC FMJ .380. This ammunition has a strange crimp about 1/3" below neck to hold in the bullet. At the crimp, the case is wider than standard (it bulges). It is also slightly shorter in overall length:
PMC FMJ:
Length 24.71 mm = 0.973 inches
Diameter near neck 9.4 mm = 0.370 inches
COR®BON DPX:
Length 24.03 mm = 0.946 inches
Diameter near crmip 9.51 mm = 0.374 inches
Most importantly, these have a very sharp edge on the hollow point that is larger in diameter than a standard bullet at that location, and that is what I believe is catching on the feed ramp. It could be a combination of all three; the bulge, the wide bullet, and the sharp edge.

Lol, jg, I noticed that too. The Taurus and the Ruger are both made in the USA, although Taurus is a Brazil-based company. By law (GCA '68) these pocket pistols cannot be imported into the United States, so if you wanna sell 'em here, ya gotta build 'em here. Taurus build a factory near Miami for TCP production. The LCP I assume is made in Arizona like all Rugers. Kel-Tec is in Cocoa, FL.

I haven't had a chance to shoot either the TCP or the LCP. I've had Kel-Tec's for years and haven't had any reason to switch. I have held both and I do prefer the feel of the TCP. The LCP's grip seems too smooth. Also the slightly taller (re: heavier) slide on the TCP should make a difference with the snappy recoil of these guns, at least I would think so.

I've not owned a Ruger yet, but I do like the LC9 very much. I do own a Taurus PT709, which has been flawless through 550 rounds or so, and is generally well-designed and -built.

Ruger Has the Good Ghost!

There is an important intangible to this. Some people do well with a brand in a way that shows a blessing. We should not be afraid to evaluate where the Lord has put his grace for us.

In truth, we may see opposite results in the testing of a specific set of options...

That being said anyone who buys a Taurus, discount included, over a Ruger is a silly sort who must never be left alone with a bottle of whiskey.

I will add an important point: The Ruger LCP is a little popper and it is of funny design in many ways. The trigger pull is too long, etc. and if an LC9 could be concealed in place I would step up.

After the failings I saw with a Taurus 380 in the hands of a lady who bought it in the hopes of gaining confidence against a world that can be cold and frightening, I will never recommend one, nor buy one myself until they have remade their reputation.

But, but.... the guy behind the gun counter at a local gun shop said that's where the South American drug cartels get all their guns was that Taurus sells the guns returned to them in Brazil from Americans for repair. He said he read it in a report sponsored by Bloomberg based on UN research called for by Hilary Clinton. A police officer was there too and he said, "Yep, that's right!" A CCW instructor piped in too and said he wouldn't buy a Taurus either for fear it would end up in a drug dealer's hands in Mexico.

So, it's got to be true, right?!? A gun counter guy, LEO and CCW instructor all verified it!

Perhaps it would be better for those 'needs repairs' guns to go to the Mexican drug dealers instead of the 'good stuff' our idiot gov has enabled them to get.

I love my TCP. Everybody mentions the "slide open after last shot" business but one other feature I like is the chamber loaded indicator. Does the LCP have that?

I will answer this again but it will seem sort of contradictory, we really like our TCPs, haveing had in addition a LCP, Keltec, and a POS Diamondback, SCCY, but we would most likely never buy another Taurus, there cust service SUCKS, from what I see, the guns are no better or worse than any others in that price range, but if you need factory help your further ahead tradeing the Taurus, for something else, we are slowly filtering out the cheaper guns, as finances allow, from our collection, and before anybody says anything can screw up, I know this, but if I needed a part or repair to one of the Colts or Springfield, Sig, I would have the part or shipping label in a day or two, and no static from some snotty telephone operator, who thinks they know something about guns

I don't have experience with the LCP but I did own a TCP and I own a LC9 and SR9c now. Personally I'd trust any Ruger pistol more than a Taurus. The TCP had FTE issues with multiple brands of ammo and was not accurate. I sold it and the person who bought it sent it back to the factory. They supposedly fixed several issues. So if I were going with either it would be the LCP by a mile.

I don't have experience with the LCP but I did own a TCP and I own a LC9 and SR9c now. Personally I'd trust any Ruger pistol more than a Taurus. The TCP had FTE issues with multiple brands of ammo and was not accurate. I sold it and the person who bought it sent it back to the factory. They supposedly fixed several issues. So if I were going with either it would be the LCP by a mile.

Not that I'm makeing excuses for it, but how many rds did the little gun have through it? ours were shot a lot, before I would carry them, maybe 4 or 5 hundred rds, I know thats lot to shoot for a 380, and a small one at that, and I don't have no particular love for Taurus, in fact if we did not alread have the TCPs I doubt I would buy one, only because of Taurus crappy cust service, and I know Ruger is a very good brand, but we did not care for the feel of the LCP

My TCP has over 300 rounds through it now and except for the 102grn GS, it eats them all. I find mine to be accurate and reliable but only after putting the rounds through it first.
Once you know what it likes, stick with it and you will be fine.

Just makes me think or the Ruger reputation vs that of Taurus. I am sure everyone can come up with an anecdotal story pro and con of Taurus vs Ruger but I think the overall reputation of Ruger is excellent.
I own a LCP. Not going into detailed review I will just say that it is light, easy to carry and very accurate....even with me shooting it. :) We also have a Kahr p380. It is one well made gun. Plus the slide locks back after the last shot, something I like. The only prob with the Kahr is that it costs about 30% more then the Ruger.
You can't go wrong with either of these guns.

Just makes me think or the Ruger reputation vs that of Taurus. I am sure everyone can come up with an anecdotal story pro and con of Taurus vs Ruger but I think the overall reputation of Ruger is excellent.
I own a LCP. Not going into detailed review I will just say that it is light, easy to carry and very accurate....even with me shooting it. :) We also have a Kahr p380. It is one well made gun. Plus the slide locks back after the last shot, something I like. The only prob with the Kahr is that it costs about 30% more then the Ruger.
You can't go wrong with either of these guns.

What's that saying? The plural of anecdote is NOT data?

I have a TCP and my father-in-law has a LCP. I have put a few hundred rounds through both pistols and could find little to no difference between the two pistols. Can't really compare price because his LCP has a laser sight.

I have a Taurus Tcp. Serial # ends in C. I think it's the newest version out. ( A, B,C ). I'll admit i was a little hesitant to buy it because of negative reviews. But it's been nothing short of wonderful. No experience with the LCP. But I've heard good things about it. Ruger makes a good product. With the Tcp, last round hold open. Slide locks back. Trigger pull is smooth. The sights aren't much. But it's really just a close up gun. ( Belly gun ).

I talked with a local dealer in South Carolina. We agreed on 1 point. When you rack the slide on these little guns, you have to sling shot the slide. You can't ride the slide.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back