Open carry

BamaBoy

I know I could research Connecticut laws, but I figure I'd get a quicker, clearer answer on this forum. An article this morning says that Connecticut is an "open carry state," but then it says that a man who was carrying openly was handcuffed until police confirmed that he had a permit. But if you need a permit, then it's not really an open carry state (like Wisconsin or Arizona). So in Connecticut, can you carry openly, but only with a CCW permit? Thank you.

So in Connecticut, can you carry openly, but only with a CCW permit? Thank you.

Connecticut does not issue CCW permits. They issue a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers". State Law are the same for open carry and concealed carry in Connecticut.

I believe that the permit referred to is the purchase permit not a CCW license. One must apply for a permit to purchase a firearm in Conn. CCW ia a separate application. Open carry is carrying in plain sight to the public. Concealed carry is concealed. In Ohio I teach the CCW course. We have open carry and CCW but no permit to purchase is necessary. Lou

Open Carry is legal but you must have a Connecticut Permit to Carry to Open Carry in Connecticut. Open Carry is not a common practice in Connecticut. When open carrying, be prepared for Police Officers to question you as open carrying firearm gets their attention. Connecticut does not have preemption and Cities and Counties may have Laws/Ordinances against Open Carry.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

I believe that the permit referred to is the purchase permit not a CCW license. One must apply for a permit to purchase a firearm in Conn. CCW ia a separate application. Open carry is carrying in plain sight to the public. Concealed carry is concealed. In Ohio I teach the CCW course. We have open carry and CCW but no permit to purchase is necessary. Lou

You might want to stick with commenting on Ohio law. Connecticut does indeed have a purchase permit and that is all that permit allows you to do is purchase the handgun, it does not allow it to be carried loaded and on the person in public either openly or concealed. Connecticut DOES NOT HAVE A CCW license! They have a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers which is required for both/either open or concealed carry.

The three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws have historically and continue to prove themselves to be law enforcement officers, gun store employees, and CCW instructors...in no particular order.

In Ohio there is no requirement for a permit to purchase and carry open. A license to carry concealed is required and over 400,000 have been issued in the last few years. If a permit to carry open or concealed is required in Conn, it IS equivalent to a CCW license in effect. I do understand that it has always been difficult to obtain a Conn. concealed carry permit and local local govt. entities have totally restricted carry permits and some even ownership. I'm not sure I understand what misinformation is referred to in the previous reply. As an out of state carrier of a firearm, I would not want to be discovered in Conn. with possession of a firearm much less a concealed handgun. This is even more true in Mass. as arrest and confiscation of firearms in Mass is common if possession is discovered and proper permit or license is not obtained beforehand even if by US government law you are legal.

I certainly appreciate the many responses. I always assumed that my Connecticut permit was for concealed carry, but I see now that it does indeed say, "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers." I prefer concealed carry, anyway, so I never connected my permit with open carry. (I visit relatives in Greenwich and attend reunions in Lakeville.)

Yes, I'm sure someone carrying openly in CT will be detained by police. That happens in many states even where everybody knows OC is legal.

Is it really difficult for a CT resident to get a carry permit? I obtained one fairly easily solely through mail and telephone communication, and the people in the state office were polite and helpful.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back