Open carry while visiting relatives in FL

JayTea

I am visiting relatives in FL soon. I have a non resident Fl permit. Can I open carry of their property?
What if I do so and order a Pizza and my gun is seen .

Hi JayTea,
Go here: Statutes & Constitution :Search Statutes : Online Sunshine
And search 'open carry'.
The third item (790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—) is what you are looking for. Here is the direct link:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
My reading is No Open Carry in Florida. Period. Which is sad.

Absolutely correct .... and from what I remember you can get grief even if you are CC and it shows by mistake.

ETA: I just checked and they repealed the law about printing or accidental exposure but if it is intentional (as OC is) or continual you could still have a problem

Last edited:
Yesterday, I was at a Wells Fargo Bank, in Spring Hill, Fl.
Sitting there, waiting for my other half to do her transaction, I noticed a young man, 30/40, standing at a window.
On his belt, a long blade knife. 6" blade, 4" handle.
Not a word said by anyone.
This is covered by the same law as open carry. No cops showed up. No one raised a question.
No one even noticed.
I just wonder, if I, uncovered my gun, what would have happened.
coments, please.

Interpretations I have seen (e.g., Gutmacher's book) of FL law on this suggest it is legal to open carry on private property - either your own or with the permission of the owner. However, he also suggests, which seems prudent, that one be sensitive to the effects this might have on neighbors and others. In general, I maintain moderate concealment on my property (but carry openly within my home). By moderate I mean I do not worry about printing or other subtle indications I am armed, but do not carry "in the open". I see no reason to create a MWG call and potential upheaval in the neighborhood. I will also conceal minimally when answering the door (once I ascertain it is not a threat).

In the choice between making a statement by exercising my right v. some decree of subterfuge, in the matter of broadcasting to any one walking down the street that firearms are available in this home when I am not here to secure it v. being prepared but not obvious when I am, I have always chosen being an unknown or uncertainty.

Yesterday, I was at a Wells Fargo Bank, in Spring Hill, Fl.
Sitting there, waiting for my other half to do her transaction, I noticed a young man, 30/40, standing at a window.
On his belt, a long blade knife. 6" blade, 4" handle.
Not a word said by anyone.
This is covered by the same law as open carry. No cops showed up. No one raised a question.
No one even noticed.
I just wonder, if I, uncovered my gun, what would have happened.
coments, please.
there are 3 immediate responses that come to mind, nobody will care [unlikely], someone will call the cops, a cop passing by would spot you, in the latter 2 examples you more than likely are taking a ride to jail, YMMV

I know this is an aging thread but I just wanted to be sure everyone knows we have Janet Reno to thank for no open carry in Florida.
I would love to see the NRA press for us to have open carry. Unfortunately with the George Zimmerman Trial being so fresh, I doubt anyone is ready to plead the case.

This statute also may play into the OP's question.

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

FL does have open carry for the average citizen (those not in the military or LEO) but it's very limited

The 2012 Florida Statutes
790.25(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

When I get a new pizza delivery person come to my house their eyes either open wide in surprise but say nothing, or they say something to the affect of "Oh, cool" then ask me what kind it is.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back