Open Carry, State to State

Oregon Diver

You see it around the country, this state or that state is an open carry state. But is it? Something that many do not realize is that a particular state may be an open carry state, but only for "residents". When I resided in Virginia, I used to drive from my home down to visit a friend in Georgia. With my concealed carry permit I was good through Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, but not Georgia. Then I was told that I could open carry in North Carolina and Georgia, so I figured I had the whole trip covered. WRONG!!! North Carolina is a open carry for residents only, as is Georgia. So in NC I could only carry concealed, and in GA I could not legally carry at all. Moral of the story: make darn sure you know the whole story with carry laws before you cross state lines.

You see it around the country, this state or that state is an open carry state. But is it? Something that many do not realize is that a particular state may be an open carry state, but only for "residents". When I resided in Virginia, I used to drive from my home down to visit a friend in Georgia. With my concealed carry permit I was good through Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, but not Georgia. Then I was told that I could open carry in North Carolina and Georgia, so I figured I had the whole trip covered. WRONG!!! North Carolina is a open carry for residents only, as is Georgia. So in NC I could only carry concealed, and in GA I could not legally carry at all. Moral of the story: make darn sure you know the whole story with carry laws before you cross state lines.

You could've open carried in GA if VA and GA had a reciprocity agreement, but apparently, they don't. NC and VA do have reciprocity however, and I couldn't find anything saying that OC was prohibited to visitors with a recognized reciprocal permission slip. Are you sure about NC OC being for NC residents only?

"Legal" open carry doesn't always mean that one doesn't need a permission slip to do it. Here in AL you'd be good to go with or without a permission slip from another state, as OC doesn't require a permission slip here, and nowhere in the Code does it say that's only if you're a resident. The only ridiculous restriction on OC in Bama is that you can't OC in a vehicle unless you have a permission slip. If you have a permission slip from any state though, you can carry open or concealed anywhere that it's legal to carry, including in your car, as AL honors all states' permission slips. Other states don't go that far. That's just the way it is, and yeah, it should go without saying that everyone transporting weapons across state lines should know the laws in each state they visit and/or simply pass through.

Blues

NC is open carry (period), and not exclusive to NC resident only. If you are 18 and not banned from being in possession of a firearm (felon, etc.), you can legally open carry in NC.

There are virtually zero laws about open carry (meaning that if there is no law forbidding OC) then it is NOT illegal. There are laws that dictate where weapons are NOT allowed, and in some instances where they are allow only if concealed (with permit) but open carry is NOT permitted by law, but by the absence of any laws preventing it.

Remember, laws never provide a freedom or right, they only limit or eliminate freedoms.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwjL8NzN85HLAhWGLmMKHX4KAroQFghEMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncdoj.gov%2Fgetdoc%2F32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac%2FNC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx&usg=AFQjCNGMcx90reSwuMXvqRjN5xPDtcWanA&sig2=VlwYoA9MU-wTIVhxyvNbJg&cad=rja

Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States

This guide gets updated every year and is available at many gun dealers and shooting ranges. BuckeyeFirearms.org sells it on their website if you can't find it locally. I regularly travel between Florida and Nevada and ususally pick up a new edition every other year. It is a comprehensive guide to CCW rules, reciprocity, and owning and transporting without a permit. Anyone who travels should have a copy.

Same goes for Virginia. If you can legally own a firearm, you can carry that firearm openly in most places. Government buildings are an exception.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back