One in six Australian women raped, putting Australia way above world average

DW98

Yet pepper spray and tasers are still classed as prohibited weapons in Australia :rolleyes:

AUSTRALIAN women are being sexually assaulted at twice the rate of women worldwide.

Despite our greater gender equality, we rank third after the war-torn Congo and the southern African nations of Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe for rates of sexual assault against women.

One in six Australian women have been the victim of a sexual assault by a non-partner, compared to one in 14 women around the world, a new study shows.

When sexual assaults by partners are included more than one in five — or 2.3 million.

Australia came third in the worldwide study, with 16.4% of Australian women being raped by someone other than their partner. Note that 'sexual assault' is the Australian term for rape.

This is taken from the FAQ section of the police website.

Can I carry capsicum or pepper spray to protect myself or for purposes of self defence?

No. It is not legal to carry any article designed or adapted to discharge an offensive, noxious or irritant liquid, powder, gas or chemical so as to cause disability, incapacity or harm to another person. Capsicum spray, pepper spray or any other similar articles are prohibited weapons and are inappropriate for general possession without a Governor in Council Exemption Order or a Chief Commissioner Approval. Self protection or self defence is not a lawful excuse to be able to possess these articles. Alternative options are to carry personal alarm devices such as whistles or personal protection alarms. See the Community Safety page for further information on ways you can be prepared and reduce your chance of being a victim of crime.

Yeah, a whistle will do the trick. :rolleyes:

And I always thought Australia would be a wonderful country to live in. I'm disillusioned big time. Just what can a woman do besides stay inside with the doors locked?

And I always thought Australia would be a wonderful country to live in. I'm disillusioned big time. Just what can a woman do besides stay inside with the doors locked?

They might not necessarily be safe at home either. The past week or so I've heard of several home invasions where women have been raped. The gang rape of a Sydney teenager by a group of men in a park last week comes to mind as well. I know my mother used to carry a knife and deodorant on her whenever she went out. Knives aren't legal to carry either. I'm sure lots of women carry knives and pepper spray on them regardless of the law, though.

Obviously in countries like South Africa rapes would not be reported as much as here, but at least 1 in 6 women is terrible. I've known of two women who have been raped personally (neither of them reported it). If they had been able to defend themselves it might not have happened.

In general it's a nice country, although I've been a victim of crime multiple times.

They might not necessarily be safe at home either. The past week or so I've heard of several home invasions where women have been raped. The gang rape of a Sydney teenager by a group of men in a park last week comes to mind as well. I know my mother used to carry a knife and deodorant on her whenever she went out. Knives aren't legal to carry either. I'm sure lots of women carry knives and pepper spray on them regardless of the law, though.

Obviously in countries like South Africa rapes would not be reported as much as here, but at least 1 in 6 women is terrible. I've known of two women who have been raped personally (neither of them reported it). If they had been able to defend themselves it might not have happened.

In general it's a nice country, although I've been a victim of crime multiple times.

I guess maybe I'll stay where I'm at then. At least for the time being. There's very little crime here, but I live in a mostly rural area. I don't personally know anyone who has been raped or assaulted. I'm sure if I lived in a big city here, I wouldn't be so lucky.
A farm building we own was broken into and some tools stolen, but insurance replaced them all and the guys were caught.

I guess maybe I'll stay where I'm at then. At least for the time being. There's very little crime here, but I live in a mostly rural area. I don't personally know anyone who has been raped or assaulted. I'm sure if I lived in a big city here, I wouldn't be so lucky.
A farm building we own was broken into and some tools stolen, but insurance replaced them all and the guys were caught.

I much prefer the country than the city. The people are much nicer and there's a very pro-gun attitude. Can't go wrong there. If it wasn't for other obligations I'd definitely live there.

Crime-wise there's very little as well. A family member had some sheds broken into but they didn't take anything. The only thing of value in there was an old air rifle, which I'm not even sure works anymore :lol:. A neighbour had a quad bike stolen while they were away on holiday, but that was covered by insurance. The worst thing I've heard of happening in that area recently was a group of campers being robbed at gunpoint. A bit unsettling since the thieves were never caught.

My father spent time in Kansas years ago. He says it was great. I don't know much about it besides what I've seen in The Wizard of Oz :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back