On Line Gunsmith courses

kerstingm

I am looking for a good online Gunsmith course. I know there are several things that you just can't learn online without hands on, but I still want to find the best course for the money. I really like what I see at AGI, and my second choice is Ashworth. I did consider Penn Foster, but read several bad reviews on them. Please if anybody has any good reviews on these schools or can recommend something better please let me know. I really like the AGI course because of the DVD teaching. I figure if you can't be in the class I want to at least be able to watch the lessons.

If you're like me than you cannot stand a monotone instructor. AGI courses are informative but you really have to have a good attention span. The instructor makes me want to go to sleep every time. I think AGI is still the best way to go just wish they had a more dynamic presentation.

Keep in mind other choices. You can take shop classes locally for very little money. Go to local gun shows/flea markets and buy broken or junk guns to practice on, you can sell them after your done and maybe break even. Buy every book out there on gunsmithing ( there is not that many) believe me you will want them later anyway. Get friendly with a local gunsmith and get him to let you watch him work, then ask him questions until he threatens to shoot you:) Tell all your friends that you will clean there guns for free. Real world stuff is always the best teacher. After a while when a friend says he wants new sights on his pistol or sling swivels installed on his rifle tell you will do it for him. Gunsmiths don't start out by being custom gun builders. Even those that have been in business for a while are still mostly parts changers and gun cleaners.

As a graduate of the Lassen College Professional Gunsmithing program, here's my $.02 , and well worth what you're paying for it. Ditto to the above, and take whatever machine shop courses you can. Always work on the cheapest part to replace when there's a choice. There are a lot of gunplumbers. Always put your heart and soul into it and remember that craftsmanship is how the successful 'smiths made it. Marc Krebs and Jack Huntington were classmates, and the quality of their work always stood out.

This why I am being so careful on who I choose to take the course though. If I am going to do this I want to learn everything possible because my name will be on anything that I touch for somebody. I really want this to turn into a serious part time income and maybe even a full time one. I just want to stay away from any fly by night on line scams. As we all know they are all over on line.
Thanks for your input.

I have a close friend who is a very skilled gun smith and machinist they kind of go together, has had classes by Ruger, S&W, n Colt to name a few of his certifications...

After watching him for a number of years My thoughts are hands on is mandatory, looking at it on a screen, anyone can do, and I have for some of the more complex tear downs.
I know on line is very convenient but you just simply cannot beat a instructor being there....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back