Ohio police department using fake drug checkpoints

dogshawred

Link Removed
~
MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio—Police in the Cleveland suburb of Mayfield Heights know they’re not allowed to use checkpoints to search drivers and their cars for drugs.
So they’re trying the next best thing: fake drug checkpoints.
Police in the city of 19,000 recently posted large yellow signs along Interstate 271 that warned drivers that there was a drug checkpoint ahead, to be prepared to stop and that there was a drug-sniffing police dog in use.
There was no such checkpoint, just police officers waiting to see if any drivers would react suspiciously after seeing the signs.
~
Link Removed
Bill Peters, one of the four drivers pulled over as a result of the fake checkpoint, said he wonders if he was targeted because he has long, unkempt hair.
Peters, of Medina, said he was driving on the interstate when he missed his exit. He pulled over to check his phone for directions, then pulled back onto the freeway when his phone disconnected from the charger, causing him to pull over again to reconnect it, he said.
Soon after returning to the freeway, police pulled him over.
Peters said the officer asked him what kind of drugs he had in the car, saying it would be much easier to confess before other officers and a drug-sniffing dog arrived. Peters insisted he had no drugs. As promised, other officers and the dog were summoned, and Peters agreed to allow his car to be searched.
No drugs were found.
"The last time I checked, it is not against the law to pull over to the side of the road to check directions," said Peters, who added that the officer who stopped him commended him for being safety conscious.
"I see what they're doing, but I think it's kind of dangerous," Peters said. "It's one thing to do this on a 25 mph road; it's another on a busy interstate. I think it's a violation to just be pulled over and searched."
~
This saddens me that OHIO would be the one to possibly initiate this tactic by subverting our liberties thinking they MIGHT catch someone with drugs. Violating citizens rights in the process, this is not tapping someone on the left shoulder while you are standing on the right side of them to fake them out. We are talking about an overt action to violate an individuals right to privacy. Maybe they are taking lessons for the NSA, I don't know. But I do know it isn't right.

The continued erosion of our Forth Amendment Rights. "the safety of the masses" verses the rights of the individual. This started way before "Fundamentally change America" although aided and abetted by this communist. There are no guaranteed rights anymore. If they violate them they know you'll not have the resources to defend and or sue. Plus, very limited access to sue the Feds. Serfdom returns, the King prevails and the local sheriff dictates. History has again repeated itself. Might as well kept the Brits years ago.

I can't even come up with a smart assed comment. this is just flat wrong. If I got caught in something like that I'd be in full on "I want to sdpeak to my lawyer" mode no matter what the cops said.

The best way to defeat this is to get the word out that it's happening and tell people not to fall for the ruse or you could get a hundred people to act suspicious and waste the cops time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back