OH Resident with a Non Resident FL CCW

My wife and I have just completed our CCW course and are getting paperwork ready to get our Non Resident CCW permits from FL. We are Ohio residents, and for various reasons perfer not to get an Ohio CCW. I have looked at Ohio CCW laws but have seen nothing which requires Ohio residences to have a Ohio CCW before getting another state's non resident CCW. The FL non residence CCW would be the only CCW permit we would have. The question is is this OK to do? Did I miss something in the statutes? Will Ohio recognize FL without an OH Permit? If I absolutely have to get a resident Ohio permit I will, but again would rather not.

I will check on Ohio law. Federal law would make it continue to be illegal to carry a loaded firearm in public within 1000' of a school without a permit issued by the same state the school zone is located in - in this case, Ohio. That is 18 USC 922 (q)(2).

I did not see anything in Ohio Revised Code chapter 2923 that invalidates a non-resident license recognized by Ohio just because the person is an Ohio resident.

My wife and I have just completed our CCW course and are getting paperwork ready to get our Non Resident CCW permits from FL. We are Ohio residents, and for various reasons perfer not to get an Ohio CCW. I have looked at Ohio CCW laws but have seen nothing which requires Ohio residences to have a Ohio CCW before getting another state's non resident CCW. The FL non residence CCW would be the only CCW permit we would have. The question is is this OK to do? Did I miss something in the statutes? Will Ohio recognize FL without an OH Permit? If I absolutely have to get a resident Ohio permit I will, but again would rather not.
first off FLA does not issue non resident permits, all their permits are equal. as for using a FLA permit in lieu of an Ohio permit, that would depend on Ohio law. many states require residents of their states to have their states permit. I am not an expert or a lawyer and any advice you get on the internet should be checked and double checked

It's legit. Ohio law does not require an Ohio resident to have an Ohio license.

Just be aware of a couple issues. First, if either Florida or Ohio cancels the reciprocity agreement, you will suddenly be an unlicensed person in Ohio. Second, if Ohio ever passes a bill to honor all state licenses (which almost happened last session), don't be surprised if the bill also requires Ohio residents to have an Ohio license. During the floor debate on the bill last session, one legislator mentioned that some of his fellow legislators were surprised to learn that Ohio residents could get out-of-state licenses. This was the reason the provision to recognize all state licenses was removed from the gun bill that passed last session.

A caveat that I would like to echo and possibly make clearer:

Any state outside of OH that you travel to might have a restriction that the FL permit is only valid if you have one from your resident state as well. So, when traveling you will have a burden of checking into that as well.

May we ask why you wish not to get an OH permit?

I too have a florida license to carry, and most states accept it. As a New Yorker my state does not accept any other states permits as well florida does not recognize or state permit. its always good to have your own states permit because if you get stopped by the cops and you dont have your states permit you are carrying illegally. so i would reccomend getting your ohio just to have it.

I have already looked into which states would not recognize a non FL resident with a FL CCW and that is not an issue for me, if something were to change in my need to carry in those states, or in OH law I would have no choice but to get an OH CCW. As for why I do not wish to get OH's CCW is they share that information, in particular with the BMV. I realize OH law requires notifying a LOE about CCW, no problem with that. It is a good idea to do that. What I don't like is my car tags tied to my CCW. As a law abiding citizen I would perfer the officer not have any preconceived ideas if I am stopped (only stopped twice in over 30 decades BTW). Also this would be an issue for anyone borrowing my car (like my daughters). They would have to understand to tell an officer they do not have a CCW.

I realize OH law requires notifying a LOE about CCW, no problem with that. It is a good idea to do that. What I don't like is my car tags tied to my CCW. As a law abiding citizen I would perfer the officer not have any preconceived ideas if I am stopped (only stopped twice in over 30 decades BTW).

Your statements seem to conflict with each other. You say, "I don't like is my car tags tied to my CCW. As a law abiding citizen I would perfer the officer not have any preconceived ideas if I am stopped." Can I ask what preconceived ideas you are worried about? If CCW permit information is returned with the license plate info, wouldn't that tell the officer that any firearms possessed by the driver would be 99% chance completely legal and should not be concerned about them if the person driving is the registered owner?

Before that you said, "I realize OH law requires notifying a LOE about CCW, no problem with that. It is a good idea to do that." So, what would keep the officer from forming these preconceived ideas the minute that you provide them with your CCW permit info? The only difference between an officer finding out about your CCW permit from the state versus from you providing it to him is that if you provide it to him first he has no idea if it is real and valid or not until he verifies it with the state anyway.

As you probably already know, many people very strongly disagree with you that any law requiring a person to inform LEO is good and that informing them anyway when not required to is good either.

Also this would be an issue for anyone borrowing my car (like my daughters). They would have to understand to tell an officer they do not have a CCW.

Very true. Another example of silly gun control laws affecting only the citizens who would follow the law anyway and not the criminals.

Also this would be an issue for anyone borrowing my car (like my daughters). They would have to understand to tell an officer they do not have a CCW.

Not a big deal. Here's a story I told on the OFCC web site about my son driving a car registered to me.

"Yesterday, while moving my son from Bowling Green to Columbus for his new job, he told me about a recent encounter with a BG officer.

He needed to load audio equipment from the back of a bar at 2:30 am and drove the wrong way in a one-way lane of a municipal parking lot that is behind the bar. This prompted an officer to stop him.

The car is registered in my name and the officer saw my CHL status in LEADS as he later told my son. The first thing he asked my son was, "Any guns in the car?" My son answered, "No, my dad is the one with the CHL and the car is in his name."

Later on, as they were chatting, my son mentioned that he was working in Toledo and the officer told him, "You should be carrying also." which both surprised and amused my son. He likes shooting and has even said "maybe someday" he would get his license but with having just graduated from BGSU, moving to a new city and starting a new job in a couple weeks, it's not high on his priority list.

I was glad he got some positive reinforcement from an unexpected source."

Nope no conflict at all. I may have not articulated my position so you would understand, but will try and clarify. I have a choice in not having my CCW identified with my cars. So if my daughters or someone else is driving and is pulled over and the officer walks up and they are looking in a purse or glove compartment instead of having hands in plain sight the officer while cautious might not be thinking is this person looking for a gun? Why would I want that? As for identifying myself as a CCW holder, it really doesnt matter it is the law. That's why I have no problem with that. And no, I did not know "many" people disagree with identifying themselves. Matter of fact in all the reading I have done I can't remember one person with that opinion. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I am glad to see a good LEO encounter as the other post indicates.

Nope no conflict at all. I may have not articulated my position so you would understand, but will try and clarify. I have a choice in not having my CCW identified with my cars. So if my daughters or someone else is driving and is pulled over and the officer walks up and they are looking in a purse or glove compartment instead of having hands in plain sight the officer while cautious might not be thinking is this person looking for a gun? Why would I want that? As for identifying myself as a CCW holder, it really doesnt matter it is the law. That's why I have no problem with that. And no, I did not know "many" people disagree with identifying themselves. Matter of fact in all the reading I have done I can't remember one person with that opinion. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I am glad to see a good LEO encounter as the other post indicates.

Really? No one with that opinion in all that you have read? What do you read? Unless the state I am in is a must inform state, there is no practical or useful reason to inform the officer you are carrying. For clarification, I live in PA near the OH border. OH is a must inform state, PA is not. I have been pulled over a handful of times for minor reasons in PA. My firearm had nothing to do with the stop and therefore, has nothing to do with the conversation. The first time I got stopped in PA, I did inform the officer. His response, "Do you plan on shooting me?" to which I replied in the negative and he said, "Then why would you tell me". I don't bring it up anymore.

Why OH police mandate that I do tell them is beyond me. Here is my incredulity with the law. A law-abiding citizen does not have the desire to shoot the LEO that pulls him over. A BG might. But the BG isn't going to tell the officer he's carrying, but the law-abiding citizen will because it's the law in OH. So what point is there for anyone to say they are carrying? It's like all gun laws...they are useless because only the law-abiding citizen gets infringed upon because of them. A friend of mine got pulled over in OH (I was in the car). My friend informed the LEO. The LEO asked him to step out of the car, removed his firearm, emptied it onto the roof of his car (scratched it of course) and then had him sit in the cop's squad car until he was done writing the ticket. Seriously? For a minor traffic violation. I, personally, cannot stand must inform states. It forces the encounter with a LEO to be about firearms, when it doesn't need to be. You can chalk me up as the first you read about. Start reading the forum threads on this topic, you will find MANY more like me.

As for identifying myself as a CCW holder, it really doesnt matter it is the law. That's why I have no problem with that. And no, I did not know "many" people disagree with identifying themselves. Matter of fact in all the reading I have done I can't remember one person with that opinion.

You should see a doctor about having your memory checked....

Hum, I actually wonder what you read (not really so don't bother sending me a list). Yes you are the first and and are welcome to your opinion, perhaps I will find more with you point of view. However because of your passion on this issue, you seeming fail to grasp the true focus of what the intent of the original question was or what to change the thread to something you what to discuss. That is one reason why I usually avoid participating in discussion forums. Once again, since it is OH law, I have no problem complying with it. Since, my original question has been answered (will re-read OH law one more time to make sure and possibly contact a lawyer for definite confirmation) I won't be drawn farther onto a personal opinion discussion. Thanks to all who answered my original post! I'm done.

Sorry, did not see your last post before responding. One more reason I don't normally participate in discussion forums, insults I don't need from someone who has so much passion, fails to allow for someone else to have another opinion. I am done now for sure.

The only reason I can see to have a fla permit is it picks up Georgia. If traveling by car you're ok in oh, ky, tn, then need to unload and put away to cross Georgia. " technically" by the law. Then re acquire & reload at the fla welcome center. I'll be glad when a CCW permit is recognized just like a drivers lic. Good in all 50 states!

Last edited:
The only reason I can see to have a fla permit is it picks up Georgia. If traveling by car you're ok in oh, ky, tn, then need to unload and put away to cross Georgia. " technically" by the law. Then re acquire & reload at the fla welcome center. I'll be glad when a CCW permit is recognized just like a drivers lic. Good in all 50 states!

Never happen! Because to many states see a CCW permit is a way to get more revenue in their coffers! States like IL, CA, NY and many other ONLY honor or recognize their own CCL's! IL cost for a resident is $150 but a non-res is $300. That says 2 things they do not want anyone but residents to carry and they want the money. If anything most states will enact law that you have to get a CCW permit from each state. Just so they can get more money!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back