Obama Wants Marines to Wear Girly Hats: Wussification Program?

Oldgrunt

You can say one thing for Obama, he knows how to destroy morale in the military. Or was it Michelle?

Link Removed

Obama wants Marines to wear ‘girly’ hats

By Jeane MacIntosh

October 23, 2013 | 10:30pm
Modal Trigger
The old hats (left) compared to the new ones (right).

A change to the Marine Corps’ uniform hats could take the hard-nosed Leathernecks from the Halls of Montezuma to the shops of Christopher Street.

Thanks to a plan by President Obama to create a “unisex” look for the Corps, officials are on the verge of swapping out the Marines’ iconic caps – known as “covers” — with a new version that some have derided as so “girly” that they would make the French blush.

“We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets, and the DoD is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats!” one senior Marine source fumed to The Post. “The Marines deserve better. It makes them look ridiculous.”

The thin new covers have a feminine line that some officials think would make them look just as good on female marines as on males — in keeping with the Obama directive.

“The Marine Corps is being ‘encouraged’ by DoD to standardize on a unisex/universal dress and service cap,” Marine brass noted in an internal memo obtained by The Post.
Modal Trigger

One of the new hats worn by a female Marine.

Male and female Marines currently wear gender-specific caps.

The controversial covers have been dubbed the “Dan Daly” hat, after a World War I sergeant from Long Island who twice won the Medal of Honor.

But some Marines love the old hat, which has been in use since 1922 and think the new hat is a glorified “porter’s cap.” The new Daly model is based on a style the Marines used from 1904 to 1918 – and then jettisoned.

“The Dan Daly cap looks too French, and the last people we want to associate our Marines with would be the French military,” wrote one commenter on the Marine Times Web site.

As of now, the new covers are only in the proposal stage.

Marines have until Friday to cast their votes on whether to adopt them or keep the old hat with modifications. Marine Corps head Gen. James Amos will make the final decision.

According to the memo obtained by The Post, requiring all troops to use the Daly cover will cost $8,221,958. Going with the traditional cap will save $284,043, because the current female caps are more expensive.

“Why are we even focused on this while we are laying troops off for no budget?” another Marine Times commenter asked.

“None of the [members] liked the idea of a universal cover for all Marines,” the internal memo noted. “The group members did not like the appearance of the Dan Daly cap on the male Marine.”

Obama cant keep his fingers out of anything! First, the Army, now the Marines....What the heck is on this guys mind? I figured hed have better things to do than create a Unisex look in the Military? SMDH

I couldn't believe it when I saw this on Fox news. With 95% being male in the USMC, I don't think this will pass muster.

Hey obummer and the lib-o-rats have been trying to neuter the military for years. Now they are being open about it!!!!

That story was debunked as an internet hoax within hours after it came out. It was preposterous and phony on its face. Funny, though.

Here's an article that is actually written by the military concerning this issue and debunking it. The folks that have bought into the original article can continue to debate the errors of the President (seriously a President ordering a military command how to dress??) or you can read what the military has to say:

Marines shoot down Internet story on Obama?s alleged push for ?girly hats? - U.S. - Stripes

OK. According to the article, the DOD asked the Marines to find a more unisex approach to their covers. The question remains: did the DOD make this request of their own initiative, or, since they take their orders from the president, are they doing it in response to directives received from the Commander in Chief and now are buffering Obama from any potential fallout by making themselves out to be the originators of the request (as has also been the case with so many other underlings - Clinton, Holder, etc., - taking the heat for the president)? The fact that the company currently making the female covers is going out of business is a side issue; it really has no bearing on this decision. The specifications for the covers are issued by the military, and any new company picking up the contract would have to produce female covers meeting the same specifications.

So is this article giving the true explanation, or, since Stars and Stripes is part of the military establishment and therefore bound to portray the CiC in a good light, is it yet another attempt to deflect blame away from Obama?

Nice destruction of tradition. What a waste of money. UNISEX???? Guess it will be fun when everyone bunks together.
Felling like a genius here compared to the people that are making the hat decisions, very easy to do considering who I am comparing myself to.
Am I the only one to think of this? Give the new "Unisex" hats to the "girls"? "ladies"? "soldiers"? or whatever is PC to call them, and keep the old traditional hat for the soldiers!
BTW when are they coming out with the "Conspicuous Service" rainbow patch?:neo::help:

Here's an article that is actually written by the military concerning this issue and debunking it. The folks that have bought into the original article can continue to debate the errors of the President (seriously a President ordering a military command how to dress??) or you can read what the military has to say:

Marines shoot down Internet story on Obama?s alleged push for ?girly hats? - U.S. - Stripes
I posted before I read your link. Thanks. Glad they are keeping the mens.

OK. According to the article, the DOD asked the Marines to find a more unisex approach to their covers. The question remains: did the DOD make this request of their own initiative, or, since they take their orders from the president, are they doing it in response to directives received from the Commander in Chief and now are buffering Obama from any potential fallout by making themselves out to be the originators of the request (as has also been the case with so many other underlings - Clinton, Holder, etc., - taking the heat for the president)? The fact that the company currently making the female covers is going out of business is a side issue; it really has no bearing on this decision. The specifications for the covers are issued by the military, and any new company picking up the contract would have to produce female covers meeting the same specifications.

So is this article giving the true explanation, or, since Stars and Stripes is part of the military establishment and therefore bound to portray the CiC in a good light, is it yet another attempt to deflect blame away from Obama?

Presidents don't get involved with military dress & appearance.

Actually, in the picture, the cover on the far right (starboard!) looks similar to the cover worn in World War 1, except that it's white.

See Link Removed from Wikipedia.

Actually, in the picture, the cover on the far right (starboard!) looks similar to the cover worn in World War 1, except that it's white.

See Link Removed from Wikipedia.

Interesting. Well, with having females in the Marines and having the similar type of hat that they wear being proposed that males wear too, lies the issue of the hat being "feminine". To which I agree. The Marine in the above picture however looks like he is ready and ever capable of chewing some ass regardless of hat style.

Sent from my hand-held mind distractor

Presidents don't get involved with military dress & appearance.

Presidents also don't usually get involved with professors being arrested or a teen being killed in self defense. This one has done both. I don't put anything past this president if he thinks it is going to further his agenda.

Thanks for clearing this up for us all.
~
You have to admit this type of move is something the King Obama would try to do just to say he has done something, no matter how insignificant.

A guy would have to be seriously insecure about his gender identification to have a hissy fit about a hat.

A guy would have to be seriously insecure about his gender identification to have a hissy fit about a hat.

No, only extreme pride for his service, as well as gender identification, which is instilled in ALL Marines! From their initial entry into the Marines, until their death as an old man, Marines never lose that pride of service. They are definitely not inclined to the "unisex" look.

You can say one thing for Obama, he knows how to destroy morale in the military. Or was it Michelle?

Link Removed

By Jeane MacIntosh

October 23, 2013 | 10:30pm
Modal Trigger
The old hats (left) compared to the new ones (right).

A change to the Marine Corps’ uniform hats could take the hard-nosed Leathernecks from the Halls of Montezuma to the shops of Christopher Street.

Thanks to a plan by President Obama to create a “unisex” look for the Corps, officials are on the verge of swapping out the Marines’ iconic caps – known as “covers” — with a new version that some have derided as so “girly” that they would make the French blush.

“We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets, and the DoD is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats!” one senior Marine source fumed to The Post. “The Marines deserve better. It makes them look ridiculous.”

The thin new covers have a feminine line that some officials think would make them look just as good on female marines as on males — in keeping with the Obama directive.

“The Marine Corps is being ‘encouraged’ by DoD to standardize on a unisex/universal dress and service cap,” Marine brass noted in an internal memo obtained by The Post.
Modal Trigger

One of the new hats worn by a female Marine.

Male and female Marines currently wear gender-specific caps.

The controversial covers have been dubbed the “Dan Daly” hat, after a World War I sergeant from Long Island who twice won the Medal of Honor.

But some Marines love the old hat, which has been in use since 1922 and think the new hat is a glorified “porter’s cap.” The new Daly model is based on a style the Marines used from 1904 to 1918 – and then jettisoned.

“The Dan Daly cap looks too French, and the last people we want to associate our Marines with would be the French military,” wrote one commenter on the Marine Times Web site.

As of now, the new covers are only in the proposal stage.

Marines have until Friday to cast their votes on whether to adopt them or keep the old hat with modifications. Marine Corps head Gen. James Amos will make the final decision.

According to the memo obtained by The Post, requiring all troops to use the Daly cover will cost $8,221,958. Going with the traditional cap will save $284,043, because the current female caps are more expensive.

“Why are we even focused on this while we are laying troops off for no budget?” another Marine Times commenter asked.

“None of the [members] liked the idea of a universal cover for all Marines,” the internal memo noted. “The group members did not like the appearance of the Dan Daly cap on the male Marine.”
Army's looking at new headgear too: Link Removed

Army's looking at new headgear too: Link Removed

Now that kind of headgear I can appreciate. I have seen helicopter pilots wearing something similar (or maybe the same thing) of late. My problem with it is that I can not stand for my head to be completely covered, like a motorcycle helmet. I am too claustrophobic for that. Also, that is combat headgear, not dress, although it would look much better than a beret.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back