NYS Lawmakers Agree on Gun Control Measures (9:00 PM - 1/14/13)

BC1

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and legislative leaders tentatively agreed on Monday on a broad package of changes to gun laws that would expand the state’s ban on assault weapons and would include new measures to keep guns away from the mentally ill. Approval of the legislation would make New York the first state to act in response to the mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., last month. Monday was the first full day of this year’s legislative session in Albany; the State Assembly opened its session with a moment of silence for those killed in Newtown, and lawmakers from both parties said they expected to vote on the gun package late Monday or early Tuesday. There is no time like the present to act,” Mr. Cuomo said at a news conference just before 9 p.m. at which he detailed elements of the legislation. “I believe it’s the most comprehensive package in the nation.”

Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just passed 43-18. For the most part what a bunch of ignorant spineless puppets. One big circle jerk. Senator Ball is my hero though but he probably won't get invited to hang out with the Gov anytime soon.

Cuomo and others buried the 2nd Amendment tonite in Albany...I'm sure it will be in unmarked grave!

Sad times for our nation...very sad.

First of all, I am not the least bit surprised by this action in the state senate. I am disgusted by it. I haven't seen a copy of the full bill yet, I'm sure that will be available shortly, but declaring a rifle an "assault weapon" based on one feature is just stupid. Because a semi automatic has a bayonet lug makes it inherently more deadly? And the new magazine limit of 7 rounds creates a new problem for the many owners of .22 rifles, many of which have tubular magazines far in excess of 7 round capacity. I can get 5 round en bloc clips for my M1, but I haven't seen any 7 round mags for my 10/22 or my MKII target gun, so they're illegal now?

And we still have Biden's "proposals" to look forward to today. Get the extra strength tylenol ready.

Well,we have been pushed down the river without a paddle. Our e-mails and contact with our representatives have not meant a thing. They knuckled under due to emotional feelings and outside pressure rather than listening to firearm owners or looking at the facts. There is not ONE criminal that gives a damn what laws get passed on law-abiding citizens. They will not run down and turn in their 10 round magazines, saw off the non-compliant features, or care one bit if they have any more charges layed upon them for violating one more law. Once these laws pass we will NEVER get them repealed. I believe they added the fact that we have one year to sell off any banned firearms or magazines out of state to avoid conflict with the constitution. And we thought Bloomberg was bad. I sent out emails to all my reps and some swore they were on our side and they lied and and voted for the bans anyhow. Whatever Cuomo wanted he got. We got screwed by the best in the buisness. Our own representives. How's it feel???

First of all, I am not the least bit surprised by this action in the state senate. I am disgusted by it. I haven't seen a copy of the full bill yet, I'm sure that will be available shortly, but declaring a rifle an "assault weapon" based on one feature is just stupid. Because a semi automatic has a bayonet lug makes it inherently more deadly? And the new magazine limit of 7 rounds creates a new problem for the many owners of .22 rifles, many of which have tubular magazines far in excess of 7 round capacity. I can get 5 round en bloc clips for my M1, but I haven't seen any 7 round mags for my 10/22 or my MKII target gun, so they're illegal now?

And we still have Biden's "proposals" to look forward to today. Get the extra strength tylenol ready.
After reading your post I realized that my Ruger 10/22 will be illegal. The basic Browning Buckmark .22 plinker too. The proposed law will allow one year to dispose of the 10 round mags. During the interim there's a great market opportunity for someone to make 7-round mags. If not I'll be selling some very nice equipment. Here's the rub... where I previously carried a G26 9mm with 10 rounds I'll now carry a Ruger LC9 with two mags (14 rounds). What part of this don't they understand? Just ask Michael Bloomberg. This is exactly the liberal nanny thought process shown by Bloomberg in his soda ban. You can't buy a soda larger than 16 ounces. So, I'll have a hot dog and TWO 12-ounce sodas please.
This is coming to MD, DE, CT and other states. Hang-on, it's gonna be a ride.
So who do we blame? Ourselves? The NRA? Arrogance? Parents like the mother of the Newtown shooter? She has a bug for a son and he has access to guns? We did this to ourselves.

Does anyone have any idea how the got the republicans to cave? Any insight on the ones that did cave? Is there a lesson we can learn in dealing with other reps?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone have any idea how the got the republicans to cave? Any insight on the ones that did cave? Is there a lesson we can learn in dealing with other reps?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
It was $$$$$$. The almighty buck prevailed. Backdoor promises for pet project funding in exchange for the vote. Anyone who voted against it would see little money for their district needs.

After reading your post I realized that my Ruger 10/22 will be illegal. The basic Browning Buckmark .22 plinker too. The proposed law will allow one year to dispose of the 10 round mags. During the interim there's a great market opportunity for someone to make 7-round mags.

If I am reading this correctly, you can keep the 10 rounds mags, you just can't put more than 7 rounds in them. :fie:

From the BILL :

42 IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL FOR A PERSON TO KNOWINGLY POSSESS AN AMMUNITION
43 FEEDING DEVICE THAT SUCH PERSON LAWFULLY POSSESSED BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE
44 DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED
45 THIS SECTION, THAT HAS A CAPACITY OF, OR THAT CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR
46 CONVERTED TO ACCEPT MORE THAN SEVEN BUT LESS THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNI-
47 TION, WHERE SUCH DEVICE CONTAINS MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION.

Let's see. My Browning Buckmark, my pre-ban Ruger 10-22, my Sig Tac-ops, my Kimber, my Windham AR, heck, just about everything I own is now ILLEGAL. Gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling all over like just after having sex and smoking that cigarette. It's just that I don't like getting screwed in my a$$ without a kiss first.

Let's see. My Browning Buckmark, my pre-ban Ruger 10-22, my Sig Tac-ops, my Kimber, my Windham AR, heck, just about everything I own is now ILLEGAL. Gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling all over like just after having sex and smoking that cigarette. It's just that I don't like getting screwed in my a$$ without a kiss first.

Guns such as your Ruger 10-22 (10 round magazine) will still be legal. Magazines that can hold more than seven rounds but not more than ten rounds and are currently possessed will be grandfathered in, but you can only load them with seven rounds of ammunition.

The recent passage of the Safe Act has criminals all across New York State lining up inside of local police stations to turn in their now illegal guns.

Link Removed

So...let me understand this..all of those Glocks and other high capacity semi-auto pistols are out...so what do we do with them?? Will manufacturers be producing new magazines that only hold 7 rounds that will work for the existing guns...if not then we will have to sell them...very sad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back