Nutria

missoak

Man, I saw a show on The Outdoor Channel yesterday about hunting NUTRIA !!!!! That would be awesome ! Any body here ever do any of that?

Around here, they're pests, non-native intruders on the territory of native beavers. They are legal to hunt year-round here in Oregon. (Along with Badger, Coyote, Opossum, Porcupine, Spotted Skunk, Striped Skunk and Weasel.)

I live inside the city limits of Portland, where it is illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. But I'm lucky to live in an area with quite a few "green spaces", including one that runs through my (very large) back yard. We have coyotes and the occasional nutria that run through the green space. My next door neighbor has been known to use rat shot or low-powder loads from his silenced .22 to help take out the pests. I asked our neighborhood resident police officer about this once, and he gave me the required "if you ever catch someone discharging a firearm in the city limits, call 911 immediately" followed by a wink-wink "but don't expect a response if he's safely taking out coyote or other pests." AKA: Go ahead.

I wouldn't trust ALL Portland police officers to think that way, though. (Heck, knowing Portland Police reputation for being thugs, my neighbor is very likely the exception, not the rule.)

Wow, didn't know they were in Oregon too. These guys were on an air boat out on the swamp, & they were running like rats. There were 4 or 5 guys on this boat, & they shot off 3,000 rounds at these things. Said it was a blast, ( hey I could see that ), & their fingers were sore from re-loading.
I think there's a $5 bounty too.
So if anybody has a permit, I can travel & I have $$$.
Nothing like this in MI.

A while back (pre-Katrina) I went on a swamp tour out near New Orleans. Now I can spot a deer at a pretty good distance, but I had a heck of a time even seeing the darn nutrias out there.

A while back (pre-Katrina) I went on a swamp tour out near New Orleans. Now I can spot a deer at a pretty good distance, but I had a heck of a time even seeing the darn nutrias out there.

Well, my gosh. It's no wonder you had trouble seeing those pesky nutrias; there was a story this week in the news from Cern that they had clocked nutrias traveling faster than the speed of light.

No, wait. Now that I think of it, those were neutrinos rather than nutrias. My bad. Never mind.

smokinlawyer:233116 said:
a while back (pre-katrina) i went on a swamp tour out near new orleans. Now i can spot a deer at a pretty good distance, but i had a heck of a time even seeing the darn nutrias out there.

well, my gosh. It's no wonder you had trouble seeing those pesky nutrias; there was a story this week in the news from cern that they had clocked nutrias traveling faster than the speed of light.

No, wait. Now that i think of it, those were neutrinos rather than nutrias. My bad. Never mind.

lol, lol, lol :d !

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back