NRA is turning into a big SCAM for the CPL instructors

buffy270

I just went to order some packets for my next CPL class and found out that the price has now doubled from $10.00 to $20.00 and they have went down in quality, but that is not the worse part. The shipping was always fair, but not now. I understand UPS is not cheap but they bill on the weight of a box, but not the NRA they charge you by the amount of your order, so before when I would order 25 packets it would cost me $29.00 but now that my order has double in price it now is going to cost me almost $60.00 for the exact same items. I know for a fact that UPS did not double the cost to ship, so now for the 25 packets that was around $275.00 so and average of $11.00 per person has jumped to almost $23.00 a person. That is higher then inflation and when I would have my class I always encouraged folks to sign up for the NRA, but now I am not so sure. Has anyone else run into this? And if anyone is wondering I don't get rich teaching the class for $50.00 a person, it was just enough to cover the packets and range fees.

The NRA probably depleted their funds during the last election cycle.

They had fantastic success. And success costs money.

So now they need to double their prices.

The only reason they changed their Basic Pistol class to a "blended" online and classroom program is so they can charge $60 for every student to take the online portion of the course. And of course that is a prerequisite for the hands on portion. I don't teach the NRA Basic Pistol course since the change. Basic Pistol is for NEW SHOOTERS and it is absolutely foolish to teach this level of shooter online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The "NRA" has been a scam for well over one hundred years. You really think they fight for the Rights you already own?

"The NRA America's largest gun control organization

Archived from Citizen Review On Line

NOTE: — Be sure to read other articles on NRA "Lapses in Principle"

By Vin Suprynowicz

On Jan. 16, 1968, in an address to the New York State University law school in Buffalo, Sen. Robert Kennedy, D-N.Y., stated: "I think it is a terrible indictment of the National Rifle Association that they haven’t supported any legislation to try and control the misuse of rifles and pistols in this country."

NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth took great umbrage at this remark in the October 1968 issue of the NRA’s magazine, The American Rifleman, terming Sen. Kennedy’s accusation "a great smear of a great American organization." Mr. Orth then went on to point out, "The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."

Really? But the NRA has always been portrayed in the mainstream press as a radical anti-gun-control organization. Is it? Has it ever been?

In that 1968 issue of The American Rifleman, associate editor Alan C. Webber picked up the defense of the NRA’s gun-control credentials. I quote again from the NRA’s own, official organ:

"Item: The late Karl T. Frederick, an NRA president, served for years as special consultant with the Commissioners on Uniform State Laws to frame the Uniform Firearms Act of 1930. ... Salient provisions of the Act require a license to carry a pistol concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle; require the purchaser of a pistol to give information about himself which is submitted by the seller to the local police authorities; specify a 48-hour time lapse between application for purchase and delivery."

Remember, I’m not asking whether you think these are good ideas. I’m asking whether the NRA is the pack of wild-eyed, take-no-prisoners, "pure language of the Second Amendment, take my gun from my cold dead fingers" radical extremists which the national press corps would have us believe. In fact, can the NRA rightly be said to be a "gun rights" organization, at all?

"Item," Editor Webber of The American Rifleman continued back in 1968: "The NRA supported the National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. ...

"NRA currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts. ... "

Nor is there much room to believe the NRA has changed its stripes in the past 23 years.

In Utah this year, Utah Gun Owners Alliance lobbyist and M.D. Sarah Thompson had worked to get through "a good bill that would have honored concealed-carry permits from any other state without restriction," notes Dennis Fusaro, who himself was let go from GOA in March for not being cooperative enough with the gun-grabbers at the NRA.

In the final days of the session, however, NRA lobbyist Brian Judy arrived in Salt Lake City and made a deal to accept an amendment that the out-of-state permits would only be honored for 60 days.

"Sarah had the senators pretty well under control and was pushing them with grass-roots pressure, and then Brian Judy goes in the back room and accepts this bad amendment," Fusaro reports.

Says Thompson: "Read their magazine. The NRA helped write the National Firearms Act of 1934, the Gun Control Act of 1968. ... Here in Utah they backed our Olympic gun ban" (restricting the right of Utah citizens to carry permitted weapons at Olympic venues while the winter Olympics are in town, so as not to offend the hoplophobic foreigners).

"In the 2000 (Utah) Legislature the NRA backed a midnight gun control bill that vastly expanded the list of people prohibited from owning guns in the state, a retroactive ban on people who were adjudicated years ago. As a result of this I get calls from people who have been hunters for years who now have to go through a background check, who did something wrong as a juvenile 30 or 40 years ago, and they’ve lost their gun rights."

from http://www.lvrj.com/cgi-bin/printable.cgi?/lvrj_home/2001/Jun-03-Sun-2001/opinion/16231491.html

Vin Suprynowicz, the Review-Journal’s assistant editorial page editor, is author of "Send in the Waco Killers." His column appears Sunday.
39a68d7144067c209c40e0d46f72f219.jpg

The "NRA" has been a scam for well over one hundred years. You really think they fight for the Rights you already own?

Yes the NRA has always been in the business of compromise except for their training programs, which have traditionally been very good. Now they have begun to compromise their great programs. It is a shame, as they were considered the gold standard. I don't think it will take long for them to lose that status. Sad because that is the only reason I'm a member and certified instructor.

Thank God for the GOA, SAF, NAGR and others who refuse to compromise.

Oh, one other thing: you think the govt has info on citizen gun ownership? It pales in comparison to the NRA database. The NRA has very detailed info on gun ownership of its members and non-members as well. The reporting requirements as an instructor help to populate that database.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes the NRA has always been in the business of compromise except for their training programs, which have traditionally been very good. Now they have begun to compromise their great programs. It is a shame, as they were considered the gold standard. I don't think it will take long for them to lose that status. Sad because that is the only reason I'm a member and certified instructor.

Thank God for the GOA, SAF, NAGR and others who refuse to compromise.

Oh, one other thing: you think the govt has info on citizen gun ownership? It pales in comparison to the NRA database. The NRA has very detailed info on gun ownership of its members and non-members as well. The reporting requirements as an instructor help to populate that database.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't want to be a member of the NRA and haven't been a member for some of the reasons you mention. It bothers me that the Swiss Rifle Club near where I live requires an NRA membership to join. So... I'm not a member, and I use other places to shoot. I am (as my signature indicates) a member of the FPC. ( I also participate in / occasionally donate to their related organization, FPF - see https://www.firearmsfoundation.org/gunpocalypse ) However, I did recently purchase a ticket to the first Friends of NRA event in Monterey. Networking is very important these days.

I am on GOA's mailing list and I always respond to their requests for action. GOA is great, very effective.

FPC / FPF basically started out as a coalition of 2AF, CCRKBA, CAL FFL, and CALGUNS Foundation. Originally the description read, "Firearms Policy Coalition is a project of Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA),California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees (CAL-FFL), Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), andThe Calguns Foundation (CGF)." Later it changed to read, "Firearms Policy Coalition is a true coalition of grassroots civil rights organizations, led by managing director Brandon Combs of California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees (CAL-FFL) and The Calguns Foundation (CGF). FPC offers an agile, effective, and scalable vehicle for advocacy, education, and grassroots action to advance Second Amendment rights. A list of our member organizations can be found at our About page." Per Brandon Coombs, "following the news that CCRKBA had backed the Manchin-Toomey-Schumer amendment," things changed and CCRKBA is no longer one of the member organizations of FPC - longer discussion here.

Some discussion on Survivalist boards mentioned whether to donate to Calguns or FPF and most commenters suggested Calguns, but I still continue to donate to FPC (knowing that some of my donation to FPC ultimately does go to Calguns) and occasionally I'll donate directly to Calguns Foundation, too.

Basically, I donate, push for lawsuits to overturn stupid, unconstitutional laws, and I network a lot. Fortunately the winds are changing in Congress / White House / US Supreme Court in our favor, I think.

I have a NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification, but only because it is required if I am to keep my Texas License To Carry Handgun instructor certification.
I have not, and do not intend to ever teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course. I disagree with a number of the goals and methods of that course of instruction.

I forgot, and someone reminded me recently via a mailing list, you can also donate directly to CRPA, here:

https://californiariflepistol.z2systems.com/np/clients/californiariflepistol/neonPage.jsp?pageId=1&

Or make out check to:

The CRPA Foundation
271 East Imperial Highway #620
Fullerton, CA 92835

501(c)3 Internal Revenue Tax ID# 73-1719822

Information about CRPA Foundation:

Link Removed

The current Legal Affairs Report can be found on the CRPA web site
under the Legal Affairs tab. The most recent report is:

Link Removed

One more organization you can donate to (though I've usually just donated to FPC / FPF and Calguns Foundation).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back