November 11 Veterans Day.

Coyote Blue

Today is the 96th observance of Veterans Day, formerly Armistice Day. November 11,1918.

To all my brother and sister veterans, active or retired , my sincere gratitude for your service and patriotism, through peacetime and war, and your unceasing, unselfish devotion to keep us safe and free.

Thank you all

From the US Army Marksmanship Unit's The Service Rifle Marksmanship Guide 1978
The Man With The Rifle Knows

Men may argue forever on what wins their wars,
and welter in cons and pros,
and seek for their answer at history's doors,
but the man with the rifle knows.

He must stand on the ground on his own two feet
and he's never in doubt when it's won.
If it's won he's there, if he’s not it's defeat;
that's his test when the fighting is done.

When he carries the fight, it's not with a roar
of armoured wings spitting death.
It's creep and crawl on the earthen floor
butt down and holding his breath.

Saving his strength for the last low rush,
grenade throwing and bayonet thrust;
And the whispered prayer, before he goes in,
of a man who does what he must.

And when he's attacked, he can’t zoom away
when the shells fill the world with their sound.
He stays where he is, loosens his spade,
and digs his defense in the ground.

That ground isn't ours till he's there in the flesh;
not a gadget or bomb but a man,
He's the answer to theories which start afresh
with each peace since war began.

So let the wild circle of argument range
on what wins as war comes and goes.
Many new theories may hold the stage,
but the man with the rifle knows.​

If you want to thank a Veteran, never again support the people who would send them to war for reasons that aren't absolutely moral and just.

If you want to thank a Veteran, never again support sending them to fight a war that you aren't willing to fight yourself.

If you want to thank a Veteran, stand with them whenever they uphold by their oath and refuse to follow unlawful orders.

If you want to thank a Veteran, understand what your Natural Rights and Liberties are definitively and never support the removal of those same Rights from another human being without proper Due Process.

If you want to thank a Veteran, never support the interests of The State over the Individual.

Once you've done all these things, reach your hand out to those Veterans you see and thank them with the most sincere emotion showing in your eyes. You may just be surprised at the emotional response you receive in return.

There are few things that tug at my heart more than thinking of the sacrifices I've witnessed, given by some of this country's greatest human beings in the name of their fellow servicemen. In those moments, it isn't about politics or resources. It isn't about the immoral cretins who sent us over there. It's about the people next to you, that's all it is. However much I disagree with the why, there's few places I'd rather be than in the company of those few brave souls.

The rage I feel when thinking about the lies, deceit, political and financial motivations used to send my brothers and sisters to war is beyond any words I could type into this keyboard. The days that go by when I don't dwell on my time there are zero, what I did and what I saw are with me like horrific shadows under a never ceasing sun. Afghanistan is as much a part of me as my own conscience, and it is there that everything I do is derived, everything I stand for comes from the single most defining time in my life, now nearly four years behind me. Those moments live just behind my eyes, reflecting on everything I see, everywhere I go. No matter how many bottles I drink to the bottom of, the answer to my heartache is never there. Nor is it in the dozens of prescriptions I've been given, nor the hours of therapy I've undergone.

My salvation lies in doing what I can to never allow anything like what happened to me happen to anyone else. It lies in doing what I can to make sure that my children never do what we have done. It lies in making a truly better world for those generations that will inherit what I leave behind.

If you want to thank a Veteran, never be dispassionate about making a choice of whether to send them off to die.

SSgt, USAF ('06-'14)
OEF, 455 ESFS/ELRS, ISAF 9-10
Parwan Province, AFG

I'll add to Gunnerbob's post, tell the politicians to stop trying to raid the military pension plan. A man or woman that puts 20 in, has earned that at least twice over. If politicians want to raid a pension plan, they should start with their own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back