North Carolina Open Carry

Have OC'd (in NC)for the last 10-15 yrs and only been checked twice and that was in Charlotte. Have had several comment on the shooters type/brand/caliber/etc. In gun free areas it gets left in the vehicle and on occasion just a jacket/shirt over it and carried. Hoping that SC passes an OC law--it was defeated last year.

When are people going to learn?

Never ask a cop about laws. let me say it again... Never ask a cop about laws.
You will get OPINIONS. If you want to know laws Read or call the NC Attorney General. They are the ones who make the laws NOT interpret them.

What county was this? I would like to go do some shopping at the stores.

Look into State v Huntley if you have not already. It covers GATTTOTP very well.
STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.

NC_OC-Flyer

I live in the Hickory area. I OC EVERYDAY. For 2 years now. I have never been stopped of even talked to by a cop for carrying. I have had cops see and acknowledge that I had a gun on my hip. Once while getting a drink from the cooler at a convenience store, A officer was walking past and his holster hit mine and he turn and said excuse me, saw my gun and said nice, I said No problem, Its like old friends bumping into each other. He laughed and walked away.

Check out this website.
OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum
I do have a CCW but prefer to OC.

I have checked this out before. OC is legal in NC but full of caveats and is very risky. Statutes do not forbid OC, but NC has a statute about "going armed to the terror of the people". That is so vague that it can be used in nearly any situation. Example: Walk down the street doing OC, minding your own business, bothering no one. No one complains, all is well. A bedwetter happens by and sees your weapon, screams out "he's got a gun!" and starts a panic. Guess who gets arrested and charged? That 1 person's overreaction defines you as "armed to the terror of the people". At the least, if you OC, prepare to be stopped & questioned in most areas.

The few times I have seen OC in NC were isolated circumstances. I used to see a few people OC while fishing at a lake or river, probably loaded with snake shot. I have seen a few store owners or gas station clerks OC every now and then. A store owner in Durham always has his .357 on his hip. A person on his own premises is much less likely to be bothered, as others can use his services or not, their choice. I saw one guy in a book store, carrying on his hip & not wearing any uniform, badge or police T shirt. He looked like he could easily be police or military but not identified.

I only OC'd one time. I worked a job in a BAD neighborhood after a major theft at the property. I was alone much of the time & this was a place where people come up to bum money frequently. I had property owner's permission & stayed on the property, barely ventured on the street at all. I carried crossdraw, where it was not obvious to casual passersby but obvious to someone approaching me. A neighbor there came over to ask about work & was not disturbed at sight of my weapon.

Going into some additional detail, it has been established that simply openly carrying a holstered weapon with no other circumstances like aggression, brandishing etc etc present does not call for going armed to the terror of the public. Not from the law's perspective. That said, sadly even LEOs are sometimes not very familiar with the laws and I agree it's quite vague.

You can lead a horse to water......

I just don't understand how anybody can see this as vague or generic. Its pretty cut and dry and more importantly, SPECIFIC! there are 4 things you must be doing in order for this charge to actually be legit. If im shopping in Walmart with my gun on my hip, minding my own business how the heck am I on a highway?

Going Armed To The Terror Of The People
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person:

1.to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,
2.for the purpose of terrifying others,
3.and go about on public highways
4.in a manner to cause terror to others.

I just don't understand how anybody can see this as vague or generic. Its pretty cut and dry and more importantly, SPECIFIC! there are 4 things you must be doing in order for this charge to actually be legit. If im shopping in Walmart with my gun on my hip, minding my own business how the heck am I on a highway?

Going Armed To The Terror Of The People
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person:

1.to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,
2.for the purpose of terrifying others,
3.and go about on public highways
4.in a manner to cause terror to others.

Hello all,

I have been reading here for quite sometime and have browsed over this thread countless times. I have been told by friends in NC (Iredell County) that gun laws have been changing alot during the last year or so. I have not been able to confirm or deny our discussions. I'm originally from Mooresville, NC and for quite sometime I have been out of the state and out of the country (Military). I haven't had the time to do as much research on OC that I should (My Google-FU is weak). I tend to conceal carry in public because it seems to be more headache free. I have read this thread and others numerous times but I have yet to find it in any NC statutes or Iredell county ordinainces. Can anyone provide a link to where I can find the information to reference the above post. It is not that I do not trust the members of this site, I would just like to have proof in writing. I'm just wondering what the stipulation are, e.g. holster requirements and weapon status (Green, amber, red). Any information on the subject would be very much appreciated.

-Rich

Hello all,

I have been reading here for quite sometime and have browsed over this thread countless times. I have been told by friends in NC (Iredell County) that gun laws have been changing alot during the last year or so. I have not been able to confirm or deny our discussions. I'm originally from Mooresville, NC and for quite sometime I have been out of the state and out of the country (Military). I haven't had the time to do as much research on OC that I should (My Google-FU is weak). I tend to conceal carry in public because it seems to be more headache free. I have read this thread and others numerous times but I have yet to find it in any NC statutes or Iredell county ordinainces. Can anyone provide a link to where I can find the information to reference the above post. It is not that I do not trust the members of this site, I would just like to have proof in writing. I'm just wondering what the stipulation are, e.g. holster requirements and weapon status (Green, amber, red). Any information on the subject would be very much appreciated.

-Rich

Rich, the reason you have not found any statutes or ordinances on this is because it's common law here in NC. please refer to the very 1st post, it explains everything for you

Open Carry

It's so irritating to see so many people not wanting to open carry just because they fear friction. I'm not looking for an altercation but I choose that over not being able to protect my family. I also choose to open carry. More people should! It's sad that I get so many stares from people just because they aren't used to seeing a side arm carried in the open but they are used to seeing the guns on shelves at every store including Walmart. I live in Fayettenam (Fayetteville) and open carry every day. I don't flaunt it. I try not to bring attention to it. We are not the criminals but are treated like we are!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back