non Residents Permit - few q&a

dojoman

Hey fellows,
Few minor questions I hope to be answered. First, about how long does the paperwork take for a non res permit? Also, I have had no luck finding what Maine considers "loaded" so if someone could clear that up Ty. I'm in ny so for us that means even having ammo in the mag.
I might be visting Maine this summer so I'm reading the laws now and plan to talk via phone to the licence officers or w.e.
I understand Maine has Open Carry, sorta....o don't mind that in fact I kinda look fwd to it. I'll have to get more info on that too. Like Ik u can't carry it loaded in a car. No idea bout public places.

took 45 days for my Maine permit. As far as I am aware you can carry loaded in Maine with a permit. You can also carry concealed which is my preference.

12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.
[ 1991, c. 865, §3 (AMD) .]

Title 25, §2003: Permits to carry concealed handguns

Visit our web site for Maine Firearm Law at Home Page

Hey fellows,
Few minor questions I hope to be answered. First, about how long does the paperwork take for a non res permit? Also, I have had no luck finding what Maine considers "loaded" so if someone could clear that up Ty. I'm in ny so for us that means even having ammo in the mag.
I might be visting Maine this summer so I'm reading the laws now and plan to talk via phone to the licence officers or w.e.
I understand Maine has Open Carry, sorta....o don't mind that in fact I kinda look fwd to it. I'll have to get more info on that too. Like Ik u can't carry it loaded in a car. No idea bout public places.

We are from NY and just processed a NON resident permit for my son ,It took 75 days total with 4 holidays in between from the day I dropped it in the mail to the day we got it (Today)

Huge logjam at the Dorothy Dix Psychiatric Hospital verifying weather applicant were or have been treated there. A simple 30 second query is all it takes.

Huge logjam at the Dorothy Dix Psychiatric Hospital verifying weather applicant were or have been treated there. A simple 30 second query is all it takes.
What does the weather have to do with a permit? First open carry depends on where in Maine you are. Up here where I am no big deal unless a flatlander sees it during the summer even then if they call the local le they will just tell them it is ok. Time depends on how it is done. Your out of state permit will be done by the state police so your going to wait longer. Residents also depend on where you live. Mine took 2 days. My daughters took 1.

Had a Maine resident (life long) take 114 days before the state rep. finally jumped in. US passport came in 2.5 weeks.

From the statute cited above:The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years.

My non-resident permit took a little under 2 months, and that includes a delay caused by my failure to initial each page of the application.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back