non resident pistol permet for other states

matt2418

i have lived in new state all my life and have had a pistol permit sense i was 21, carry concealed.. i travel to Vermont, new Hampshire, north Carolina and Florida to see family and friends.. i know i don't need anything for Vermont but do any of these other states require me to apply for a non resident permit to carry in their states??? NH, NC,FL ?? what about just traveling though east coast states to get to NC and FL ?? if you can tell me yes or no and who i should or might contact if something is required of me to do what i want and or any info that pertains to this info.. thank you...

Check the law in each state for traveling through. While you may transport your firearm from any place you may legally have it to any other place you may legally have it, you must still abide by the law in each state. NY & NJ: Lock the gun in a secure box, unloaded. Lock the ammo in another box. Keep both in the trunk or rear of an SUV. Don't transport hollow-points through NJ. You must keep moving. You can't stay overnight in NY. Not sure about NJ.

Right on this site you can get this info, just look up the Concealed Carry Map Section and you should be able to decipher all the info you want or need Or get a lead as to where to go to get it.

Your biggest problem would be, if going through Maryland, you will need to remove all ammo from gun, lock it in a non-accessible place (like in trunk or Rear lockable tool box on a truck) check MD. regulations as they do not recognize and other states permit.
And, just a personal note, I would remove any decals or stickers referring to any gun makes, club memberships, or anything that tells a MD cop that you may be carrying guns. They have data programs that can be used to see if you have permits in other states. They can stop you and check you vehicle "on suspicion" of carrying a weapon, or so I'm told.

The 4 states you visit are all fairly sane on gun laws. Unfortunately VT and NH are blocked from the rest of the country by NY, MA, CT, and NJ. It's possible to get around NJ and MD by running VA, WV and PA, but that's a lot of extra mileage. I've got relatives in NY, CT, VT and NH, but I don't visit--they can come see me in FL.

Check the law in each state for traveling through. While you may transport your firearm from any place you may legally have it to any other place you may legally have it, you must still abide by the law in each state. NY & NJ: Lock the gun in a secure box, unloaded. Lock the ammo in another box. Keep both in the trunk or rear of an SUV. Don't transport hollow-points through NJ. You must keep moving. You can't stay overnight in NY. Not sure about NJ.

thank you for the info

Your biggest problem would be, if going through Maryland, you will need to remove all ammo from gun, lock it in a non-accessible place (like in trunk or Rear lockable tool box on a truck) check MD. regulations as they do not recognize and other states permit.
And, just a personal note, I would remove any decals or stickers referring to any gun makes, club memberships, or anything that tells a MD cop that you may be carrying guns. They have data programs that can be used to see if you have permits in other states. They can stop you and check you vehicle "on suspicion" of carrying a weapon, or so I'm told.

Maryland has and uses License Plate readers to scan and cross reference pistol permit data. There have been instances where they pulled pistol permit holders over without probable cause, other than simply having a permit in another state. I understand that this is most prevalent in the tunnels, but of course, these are the most direct and convenient north-south route. These are complete fishing trips, but they will likely continue until someone successfully sues for violation of Civil Rights. Just make sure you are storing and transporting your weapons in compliance with FOPA.

As for traveling through other states, know their laws....it's confusing at best...Handgunlaws.us is a good resource. A Florida Non-resident permit will give you many of the eastern states, but there are gaps... for instance PA no longer honors non-resident permits, SC requires that you own property there to get a non-res permit, etc.
We travel from NY to FL often and the decision to carry or stow is based on which route we take. If we go further west through Pittsburgh, W. Va, then we carry (NY, PA & FL permits), but if we go east through PA, MD, Washington DC, then we either carry to southern PA then stow or simply stow our guns for the trip.

Safe traveling.

thats my way with no advertisements of anything in my life.. ive been riding motorcycle sense i was 11, 56 now and i never have stickers, patches or anything to indicate i ride, same at my home that i have a security system at etc.. thats for the info

yes i saw if i have the ny, nh and fl permits im legal in alot of states on the east coast but maryland, nj and delawre and now saw an update pa doesnt... i go to fl, nc, vt and nh so the only state i would be in that would be a problem and only driving thought would be pa and sc but id bury the pistol to just drive though them.. i maily am in ny,vt and nh,, fl once every 4 -5 years. thats for the info

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back