Non Resident Permits

Gregg Macklin

I currently have an Indiana lifetime permit. I am retired now and wish to travel here in the US. There are states that will not recognize my permit. So my question is this, what combination of non resident permits will give me and my wife the greatest number of states that we can travel in without hassles?

In general, UT, FL, and AZ are very good as non-resident permits. Go to the interactive link on this website and play around to see how you can maximize the number of states you can carry in with the least number of permits. Currently, I have PA (resident) and UT (non-resident) and I can carry in 37 states. The ones I am not allowed with those two are: CA, CT, HI, IL, MD, MA, NV, NJ, NM, NY, OR, RI, and SC.

Most of those states you will need an act of God and much money and influence to get a permit.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Here is the web site for Gun Laws By State. "www.gunlawsbystate.com". This web site has all 50 state gun laws and what state have reciprocity with which states and which ones don't. It will also let you know what you'd have to do to be able to have a gun in that state with your CCW from your home state.

I've got Utah, Arizona and Virginia non-resident permits... can carry almost everywhere that allows non-resident permits.

Thing to watch out for in your travels is a few states do not recognize non-resident permits, even from states they other wise recognize.

In your case, with the IN permit, Maine is the one place you won't be covered by your home permit and no non-res will work for you.

It looks like UT + AZ or UT + FL will maximize your coverage area.

The worse point is that there are those states that honor no permits, like Ca. and Md. to name a few. These are states to, in essences, boycott when it comes to travel and spending your dollars there. I live near Md. and have to go there on occasion, but try to never spend any money there. Not much else you can do.

The worse point is that there are those states that honor no permits, like Ca. and Md. to name a few. These are states to, in essences, boycott when it comes to travel and spending your dollars there. I live near Md. and have to go there on occasion, but try to never spend any money there. Not much else you can do.

I learned to hate CA. and I was born and raised there. Back to states recognizing my permit. The Constitution is very clear that all states are required too, but so far no one has challenged it in court. If I hit powerball or Megamillions I think I would give it a shot.

Handgunlaw.us is also very good. They have a feature to print a card / document with all states that recognize your permit(s).
For each state, they can generate a long summary of relevant laws and rules (must inform, signage has power of law, local exceptions, FTC.).

As wolf_fire listed, forget about MA, it does not recognize any non-MA permits. Soooo, if you travel through here, (and I hate to suggest this) have a separate locked case for the firearm and a separate locked case for the ammo. It's crazy here.

You have to look no further than this forum to find the states CWP reciprocity laws and non-resident permits. 'Concealed Carry Resources' At least I hope it's up to date.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back