Non resident ccw permits

Bigrayray

I live in Texas and have procrastinated getting my chl. Now going to work in Georgia on an extended contract, my understanding is that Ga does not have a non resident permit. I have been researching and it looks like I could apply for A Virginia non resident. Is this a viable option or are there any other options for mr

I leave in two days and can not squeeze in the 4 hour class, I am kicking myself for getting this done along time ago

I leave in two days and can not squeeze in the 4 hour class, I am kicking myself for getting this done along time ago

All depends on the requirements of the state for the permit you are seeking. First, make sure the OOS is recognized in the state you will be in. Second, what training is required by the OOS issuer to make application. Not familiar with Virginia's OOS but I would suggest going to handgunlaw.us for further research.

You could apply online for a AZ permit. Or apply for a FL permit. But AZ would be faster than a FL. FL can take up to 120 days. But when you get back to TX go get it!!!

... scratching my head here ...

You are going to work in Georgia on an extended contract. Aren't you going to establish residency in Georgia? As long as you are able to get a Georgia Driver's License, you would be able to apply for a Georgia Firearms License. For that, you need two documents showing your RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS such as a Bank Statement or Utility Bill. A hotel address obviously doesn't cut it, but an apartment address certainly does.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news » Frequently Asked Questions
Link Removed
Link Removed

Wasn't planning on establishing residency do to state income tax

You are going to have legal problems with that:

GA Code O.C.G.A. § 40-5-1 (2014)
§ 40-5-1. Definitions

As used in this chapter, the term:

(15) "Resident" means a person who has a permanent home or abode in Georgia to which, whenever such person is absent, he or she has the intention of returning. For the purposes of this chapter, there is a rebuttable presumption that the following person is a resident:

(A) Any person who accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in Georgia or enters his or her children to be educated in the private or public schools of Georgia within ten days after the commencement of such employment or education; or

(B) Any person who, except for infrequent, brief absences, has been present in the state for 30 or more days;

And an out of state permit is only good while you are not a resident:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (2014)
§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

Also read the following on the Georgia state tax issue (page 17): Link Removed

Part-year Residents. If you are a legal resident of Georgia for only a portion of the tax year and are required to file a Federal income tax return, you are required to file a Georgia income tax return.

Nonresidents. Nonresidents who work in Georgia or receive income from Georgia sources and are required to file a Federal return are required to file a Georgia income tax return.
Legal residents of other states are not required to file a Georgia tax return if their only activity for financial gain or profit in Georgia consists of performing services for an employer as an employee where the wages for such services does not exceed the lesser of five percent of the income received from performing services in all places during the taxable year or $5,000.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back