NON resident carry in Vermont= OK

Gordon Shumway

I have just received a formal reply from the Attorney General of Vermont regarding ALL VISITORS to the State of Vermont.

Emails below/ copy and paste: (note their humor):laugh:
SENT:
To: [email protected]
Subject: Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:34 -0500

Attorney General of Vermont
[email protected]

Sirs:

I am trying to determine the requirement for non-resident visitors to Vermont for concealed carry.
Vermont law uses the undefined word "person", without specifying residency.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arkansas.pdf

Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services

These two sites disagree as to the status of Vermont.

One map says that Vermont does accept AR CCW.
ASP says that Vermont does NOT honor the AR CCW.

Vermont law uses the undefined term "person" in their statutes.
Link Removed
Vermont
V.S.A. §4003 Carrying dangerous weapons
A person who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon, openly or concealed, with the intent or avowed purpose of injuring a fellow man, or who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon within any state institution or upon the grounds or lands owned or leased for the use of such institution, without the approval of the warden or superintendent of the institution, shall be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $200.00, or both.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

REPLY:
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:58:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Non Resident Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
To:

It is legal for you to carry openly or concealed in Vermont. Loaded or unloaded.(The gun, not you.) G.O.Vt.

Additional edit= 2nd reply from Vermont ATT GEN / direct copy and paste

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:04:28 -0400
To:

I should clarify that I was talking about hand guns. Long guns can not be kept loaded in your car, only hand guns
may be stored loaded in a vehicle. If you would like all the gun laws of Vermont ,please check out our website. We have Cindy Hill's book for sale with everything regarding Vermont gun laws in it.www.gunownersofvermont.org. You may carry on your person if you are a non-resident for self protection. This excludes schools,court houses,banks,and any federally owned property.You can not carry any deadly weapon with the intent to harm someone which is what law you quoted.Hope this helps.Ilse

end edit

Note the humor in the first reply. ("The gun, not you.")

Last edited by a moderator:
VT doesn't recognize any state's permits....but that is because no one needs a permit to carry in VT.

Out of VT, AK, AZ and WY...WY is the only one that limits Concealed Carry without a permit to residents of the state.

With a reply coming from a gmail account, I would question the validity of the reply.

REPLY:
To:

Tues.
Received a 2nd email from Vermont ATT GEN, added as edit in #1.

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:04:28 -0400
To:

I should clarify that I was talking about hand guns. Long guns can not be kept loaded in your car, only hand guns
may be stored loaded in a vehicle. If you would like all the gun laws of Vermont ,please check out our website. We have Cindy Hill's book for sale with everything regarding Vermont gun laws in it.Gun Owners of Vermont. You may carry on your person if you are a non-resident for self protection. This excludes schools,court houses,banks,and any federally owned property.You can not carry any deadly weapon with the intent to harm someone which is what law you quoted.Hope this helps.Ilse

As a note, my original email was generated by going to the State of Vermont website and emailing directly to the state Att. Gen. address, as indicated initially.

VT doesn't recognize any state's permits....but that is because no one needs a permit to carry in VT.

Out of VT, AK, AZ and WY...WY is the only one that limits Concealed Carry without a permit to residents of the state.

Now we have an official confirmation from Vermont of what non-residents can do.

I'd like to see a clarification of the WY law.

Thanks.

who is ilse.vergi and why is he or she responding on behalf of the atty gen from gmail?

Logic indicates that since the email was sent directly to the Attorney General's Office link provided on the State of Vermont site, that the respondent is, what we call in my home state, a Deputy Attorney General.

Being signed G.O.VT.: If further clairification is desired, email addresses are available enclosed above.

Last edited:

Thank you.
#1 I was attempting to officially claify the "no one needs", as you so adeptly stated it.

#2 "Fallguy on usacarry said it was OK" is not a legal defense to prosecution, nor is any information presented on this or any other non-official website.

USACarry is an excellent source for NON-official information, and learning from the users' posts is of incalcuable value.

Should I be traveling to any state I will definitely get official clarification directly from them.
That certainly seems more prudent than sitting in jail waiting for my attorney to further clarify the matter after the fact.

(already been handcuffed by state troopers in a bogus "tell it to the judge" revenue producing handgun case= I won in court, but cost me $2 thousand to do it)

By the way, I have my home state info printed off the official State Police site and carry it in my glove box. You would be suprised how many CCW holders and LEOs don't know what it says. Of course, having been there and done that, that does not prevent CCWs from being arrested on a "tell it to the judge" BS charge.

Last edited:
I know "Fallguy on usacarry said it was OK" is not a legal defense. I just thought it was common knowledge that VT didn't issue or require permits for carry.

My appolgies if I seemed out of line....it seems I have come off like that a lot lately...

Ilse Vergi is the Secretary of the Gun Owners of Vermont ("G.O. Vt.")

She may be employed by the Attorney General of the State of Vermont, but it is highly unusual for a state official to reply to a question without stating their position in the particular government office and to answer with a personal email specifying their association with a private organization.

I know "Fallguy on usacarry said it was OK" is not a legal defense. I just thought it was common knowledge that VT didn't issue or require permits for carry.

My appolgies if I seemed out of line....it seems I have come off like that a lot lately...

No problem. I was searching for an "official answer".
I guess I will write again asking for the respondent's official title.

Watch for future posting.

Correspondence:

What I sent:
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, xxx wrote:
TO: [email protected]

Thank you for your prompt response to my 2 emails.

The question is about your response email address and your signing your email as : G.O.VT.

Most official state agencies sign their emails with the person's name, title, and department.
Yours seem to be slightly ambiguous and non-official looking, leaving me to wonder exactly who you are.

No offense intended.
Thank you for your time.
Latest response:

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:50:35 -0400

We are not a state agency. I am the secretary for Gun Owners of Vermont and therefore have the liberty of signing either way I choose.We are a volunteer political group. If you're looking for something "official" contact the Vermont state police dept.We are exactly who we said we are -Gun Owners of Vermont.I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Ilse
My email to her:

Subject: RE: Non Resident Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:44:36 -0500

Thank you for your kind reply.

What I am looking for is an official response to my initial question. i.e. A response that I could print and carry on my person and in my vehicle when traveling in Vermont.

IF there were ever a question about my gun, I would like to have something "official" from the State.
Telling someone that "someone non-official said so" is not a legal defense in most jurisdictions.
I have already played the "tell it to the judge" game, costing me $2,000 to be judged "not-guilty, case dismissed".

Please allow me to clarify what I have learned:

My initial email was sent to the Vermont Att. General's Office using the email address gained on their official website:
Link Removed

In view of the facts that:

YOU receive and respond to emails directed to the Attorney General's Office,
have the "liberty of signing either way",
but cannot give anything "official",
therefore you recommend my contacting the Vermont State Police.........

Obviously I must do so,
but I am left feeling somewhat confused as to this situation.

Thank you for your time and patience.
I do appreciate your assistance.

My comment to the board:

WHAT CAN I SAY??????????????

I'm curious as to how she got a hold of your email to the attorney general. I'd have to assume she works in the AG's office. But then she replies as an officer from a political organization? Something fishy about her response.

This is a response to the last email at the bottom of post # 15

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 21:30:50 -0400
To:

Good luck with your quest.It really shouldn't be so confusing for you.If you call the state house they may help you.too.Gun Owners of Vermont

My comment to the board:
"Stranger than science"

So this situation should not be so confusing to me? and "good luck" ?
Still no explanation as to why/how she gets the Attorney General's emails about gun questions.

If they are directly fielding gun questions for the VT AT GEN office, why doesn't she just say that.

I will be moving on to the Vermont State Police tomorrow.
No reason to stop in the middle of this. ;-)

For anyone reading this, I think it's pretty obvious what happened and I'm surprised nobody has chimed in. It looks to me like the original poster probably sent out a slew of emails to various organizations, including the attorney generals office, using the same or similar subject line. For some reason, when he received a response from Ilse Vergi he thought it was a response from the AG, but it wasn't.

Upon closer inspection, I'm now 100% sure that's what happened. Look at the subject lines.

SENT:
Subject: Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:34 -0500

REPLY:
To:

The response posted is NOT a direct reply to the original sent email he posted.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back